Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Really, really, really dry skin - help!

(26 Posts)
kittylester Mon 28-Nov-22 12:58:16

After a recent hospital stay and then some subsequent bouts of infection, I am starting to feel a bit more human.

Sadly, I don't look more human!

All of my skin is badly dehydrated and feels like sand paper.

I am working on the dehydration from an internal point of view but any tips for external application - especially my flipping face!

Thank you.

Lululemon Mon 28-Nov-22 13:04:51

Take a look at the Bodyshop's Hemp body butter. It's very good and smells lovely.

IrishDancing Mon 28-Nov-22 13:44:49

O’Keefe’s is good for body but I don’t know if they do a face cream. I wish I could help you, dry skin is horrible.

Cressy Mon 28-Nov-22 13:47:14

Clinique body butter and their range of moisture surge moisturisers for the face are really good - and fragrance free.

notgran Mon 28-Nov-22 13:52:13

Wash only in Oilatum do not use any soap. Wash your clothes in a washing powder like Surcare. If you do your washing up in the sink use Surcare washing up liquid, don't use latex gloves. Bathe in an oats, you don't need to buy expensive products just use ordinary porridge oats strained through a pair of tights over the bathroom taps, this makes your skin so much smoother and brings back the moisture. Lush cosmetics do a very simple range of gentle creams, "Dream Cream" is my favourite. As you can probably tell I have a recurring problem with eczema, skin infection and general dry skin. I keep it at bay by using these products. Harsh detergents will set it off again so be very careful what household products you choose.

Oreo Mon 28-Nov-22 13:52:31

Nivea soft in a large tub.Cheap and does the job.

AreWeThereYet Mon 28-Nov-22 14:06:29

Try oil - just a drop or two patted into the skin. Any oil should help argan/jojoba/almond/sweet almond/macadamia/coconut.

DerbyshireLass Mon 28-Nov-22 14:11:49

(I'm a trained beauty therapist).

Extreme dry skin is quite common post surgery or after illness, can also be z side effect of medication.

Lashings of moisturiser, several times a day if necessary. Avoid all products containing SLS. (Sodium laurel sulphate). Very drying and can really irritate already dry skin.

Oils are better than creams or lotions. Many Mediterranean women swear by olive oil, both for cooking but also as a skin oil. Personally I think it smells a bit so I use Grapeseed oil. You can add a nice natural fragrance oil such as bergamot or rose. Makes it really luxurious. I use a ratio of 1 drop of fragrance oil, to 6 ml of Grapeseed.

I would also suggest a supplement, either Evening Primrose Oil or Starflower oil. Takes a couple of months for skin supplements to work.

Also, unless you've been told otherwise by your medical team, avoid low fat diets. Lots of oily fish.

Unfortunately central heating can have a very drying effect on the skin. Heating and cold winds are a double whammy.

grannydarkhair Mon 28-Nov-22 15:05:49

I recommend CeraVe products, I’ve found them to be very effective. Don’t wash in very hot water and don’t rub your skin dry, just pat gently. Apply lotion/cream immediately after bathing, I find it is absorbed very quickly then.
Hope whatever you choose to do works, dry skin is so uncomfortable.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 28-Nov-22 16:00:12

When I get spells of dry skin I always use L’occitane Shea butter moisturiser products and hand cream. I also use the foot cream. Last time I ran out of the foot cream I tried the “Intense” version and oh my it was even better than the original SB one.

Esmay Mon 28-Nov-22 16:35:17

My skin is dry , touchy and at times itchy and irritated .

Normally , I use Nivea on my face and body .
I also use notgran's recommendation of Oilatum when my skin is dryer than usual .
I've also used oats in the bath .
I do exfoliate occasionally using Liz Earle as it's so gentle .

Kate1949 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:48:58

My pharmacist recommended Aveeno. It's very good.

Kalu Mon 28-Nov-22 17:05:32

I have extremely dry skin kitty, the bane of my life! Immediately after showering I apply Aveeno - Skin Relief for very dry skin all over then apply any choice of serum followed by L’Oreal hydrating night cream for my face. Night creams are a lot thicker and I use those day and night. Coconut oil is also good for dry skin.

I also occasionally have what I call a Cleopatra bath: 😄
3/4 of a bag of Dead Sea salts and a pint of milk, dairy or Alpro mixed into the water, plus a few drops of geranium aromatherapy oil. Soak for half an hour or longer if you wish. This leaves my skin hydrated and soft and works better for me than oats.

Good luck. 🤞

25Avalon Mon 28-Nov-22 17:14:57

Organic rose hip oil is very good. I read Kate uses it as do I.

lemsip Mon 28-Nov-22 19:59:21

Hydromol ointment for body. it's non greasy and returned my skin to normal after a bad bout of eczema.. you can get a 500g pot for £7. or buy it in tubes..

on my legs I use ' Childs Farm ' baby moisturiser which I learnt about on here..

Vilvah Mon 02-Jan-23 06:45:52

Whenever someone ask for the treatment or product to treat dry skin, i will suggest the organic cold pressed oils, Mango and hemp Body Yogurt. Though dry skin makes you uncomfortable, using the right body yogurt will help you make it moisture for long hours.

Shoshana Mon 02-Jan-23 07:20:38

Both argan and marula oils are good for dry skin. You can get high quality but reasonably priced ones from The Ordinary.

M0nica Mon 02-Jan-23 08:19:24

Any moisteriser, cheap or expensive and just take great dollops of it and spend 5 minutes, or more gently massaging it into your face, morning and evening.

glammanana Mon 02-Jan-23 09:09:01

Kitty I suffered from very dry skin on my face and for the past few years I have used "Simple Purifying Cleanser" as a facial wash after rinsing with cool water use a decent amount of "Superdrug Dry Skin Creme" over face and neck they are both very cheap to buy and work well,use morning and night.
Kitty You will feel the difference straight away and notice the change in your skin in 2/3 days best of luck.

Farzanah Mon 02-Jan-23 10:28:18

Great advice Derbyshirelass.
Oil absorbs better. I use bio oil which clears patches of eczema quickly. A little goes a long way.

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 02-Jan-23 10:32:33

After many years of spending much money, I’ve settled on No 7 moisturiser, Protect and Prefect, day and night, supported by a serum (I’m using up Estee Lauder) plus washing with a goats milk soap. Use of rough towel every 3 days or so to gently rub against your skin to exfoliate.

MerylStreep Mon 02-Jan-23 10:33:45

I’d book myself in for a beauty treatment.
Not all beauty treatments are cosmetic, plus, you’ll feel wonderful 😄

Auntieflo Mon 02-Jan-23 12:32:39

Kitty, as you have been so poorly, could you ask your Dr to prescribe some Aquamax cream?
DH uses it and it does help his dry skin.

HowVeryDareYou Mon 02-Jan-23 12:37:17

Body butters, or something very thick like Nivea CREAM not lotion worked for me. I scrubbed my skin all over in the shower first, using a scrunchie thing. That for my limbs and body. I use SIMPLE night moisturiser on my face

b1zzle Mon 02-Jan-23 12:38:13

Lotil - cheap as chips and even works on dry, cracked skin.