Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Style tips for a size 16 (from a 12)

(16 Posts)
Bird40 Sat 31-Dec-22 16:02:43

I've recently put on a lot of weight.
I am in the process of addressing this but having always been a 10-12...to find myself at 16...I've no idea what to wear

I'm basically in leggings and baggy tops at the moment. All my weight in around my middle. I'm dressing frumpy and feel awful.
I'd love some thinner material jeans but can't find any that don't squeeze and pinch.
I'm also from a C to a DD which is again very different and my body doesn't feel like mine at all. Help!

JaneJudge Sat 31-Dec-22 16:04:20

snag tights are a game changer if you want to wear dresses and tights, they are so much more comfortable

Lathyrus Sat 31-Dec-22 16:11:26

Find an independent shop that sells Italian clothes! They cut for curves🙂 We have a market stall that does them.

I’m currently sitting in some fabulous stretch pants that are comfortable and stylish, cut to fit legs that aren’t like sticks😬
And their jumpers have shape and style. They go in and out at the right places, not just those shapeless sacks on the high street that go straight up and down and make everyone except teenage waifs look like a brick wall!

Glorianny Sat 31-Dec-22 16:12:31

Don't understand your problem. Did you wear skin tight flesh expoing outfits as a 12? If not why not just buy the things you have always liked in bigger sizes? If you're a jeans and jumper person try your old brand in a larger size. The same for dresses. 16 isn't huge.

kittylester Sat 31-Dec-22 16:15:30

I have just gone from a 22 to a 16 (almost overnight).

Goodness knows what my boobs are so I am off to JL to be measured ASAP but the ones I panic bought from M&S are just awful.

My baggy jumpers look ok (or so my style guru - aka DD3 - tells me)
Apparently that's fashionable but trousers are a nightmare. So I will follow this with interest.

rosie1959 Sat 31-Dec-22 16:20:33

I am a 16 but my hips and legs are a 14 so trousers can be a pain. I recently brought straight leg jersey trousers from M&S at £25 a pair The fabric is lovely and hangs well they have a elastic waist that is not at all obvious so I can wear a 14 with thst little extra stretch on the waist.
I find baggy clothing makes me look bigger so I go for fitted dresses by Boden Hobbs Seasalt or White Stuff again jersey fabric is brilliant.
I rarely wear jeans getting a good fit is hard more likely knee length fitted skirts and dark tights with a t.shirt and boxy cardigan or jacket.
I am only 5'2 so mid-length makes me look dumpy.

AreWeThereYet Sat 31-Dec-22 17:52:03

They go in and out at the right places, not just those shapeless sacks on the high street that go straight up and down and make everyone except teenage waifs look like a brick wall!

I've thought this so many times recently when looking at jumpers Lathyrus. So many are like boxes with dropped sleeves and no waists. I think they all come out of the same factory somewhere in China.

M0nica Sat 31-Dec-22 18:57:53

I went from 16 to 12 and didn't really change my style of dressing at all.

All my deficiencies of figure are structural so beyond a big tummy and fat thighs my shape remained the same.

AussieGran59 Sun 01-Jan-23 06:02:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shysal Sun 01-Jan-23 07:42:04

Following recommendations on GN, I have started to wear Made in Italy Magic Pants, available on line, including Ebay and Amazon. They come in only two sizes (regular and plus) and have loads of stretch to accommodate all lumps and bumps. I had the lightweight ones in summer and am now wearing the needlecord version.
Size 16 is average rather than large in my opinion, I suggest you wear anything you like as long as it fits comfortably.

Ailidh Sun 01-Jan-23 09:02:01

I am a human yo-yo, weight wise, have been as slim as a 12 and as fat as a 26. Currently holding at about 20, having regained 60lbs in a year. (Twit).

I get a lot of my clothes from Euphoria, an online store that caters mostly for the generously built.

My tip would be to Not be tempted to go too voluminous - a big, floaty frock is one thing but a baggy top over trousers or a skirt just looks sack like. A waist (ish) length top is much more flattering.

Yammy Sun 01-Jan-23 09:50:04

Look carefully at dresses. Ones that are shirred under the bust accommodate the bulges but you look pregnant. I am short-waisted so go for shirt dresses that have an in-built pull belt which I tie and pull the extra material of the top over the pregnant-like stomach. Also, cross-over dresses or tops with a pretty vest underneath. Nothing too frilly or voluminous.
My legs are like sticks and I have no bottom so I buy straight or slim-legged jeans or trousers in a 14 with hidden elastic at the back. M&S and recently SIL recommended Next .
I also have a hernia so tights can give me an awful stomach ache, at Christmas, my mid /axi dress was so long I could just wear pop socks instead of the dreaded tight. I have also at times bought maternity tights.
Best of luck I'm sure you don't look half as bad as you feel.

JaneJudge Sun 01-Jan-23 10:41:01

Yammy, do try snag tights They are not as restrictive as normal tights and have so much give in them

Bird40 Sun 01-Jan-23 11:22:29

These are some great ideas here. The snag tights sound good.
To anyone concerned about my comment about the 16...I'm not saying it's large...my family are mostly much larger sizes than this....but this has been a very quick weight gain for me through illness and when you are squeezing into size 12 clothing then trying to replicate the look in a 16...it hasn't worked for me. Im a jeans and simple top lazy woman and when I bought size 16 jeans and simple cotton tops I felt uncomfy and looked like a little barrel as all my weight is around my middle. I've always had a waist, and no I don't. I wouldn't even say 'curvy'. I'm not. Just a round shape.
The shirt dress idea is great! Thank you x

JaneJudge Sun 01-Jan-23 12:23:47

I wonder if John Lewis still do their personal shopper service?

JaneJudge Sun 01-Jan-23 12:24:37

oh they do smile and you can even do it online

www.johnlewis.com/our-services/personal-styling