Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Big girl knickers

(39 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Wed 04-Jan-23 20:28:19

M&S seem to have abandoned their 'midi knickers' in favour of 'high rise shorts'. Any recommendations for in-between knickers - my mini ones don't quite suit my ageing body, but somehow I'm not quite ready for those deep 'big girl knickers' yet.

Davida1968 Thu 05-Jan-23 10:45:26

I'm surprised at just how often "knicker discussions" come up on GN! Another vote (again!) from me, for Sloggi "full briefs". So comfortable! But for me they must always the cotton ones, not other fabrics....

25Avalon Thu 05-Jan-23 10:57:04

Try Slenderella. More expensive than M&S but the quality is so much better and they are really comfortable.

karmalady Thu 05-Jan-23 11:16:34

henetha

That is truly amazing Karmalady. I have never in my life heard of anyone who makes their own knickers. I think that's marvellous!

Henetha, they can easily be made by anyone who has a basic knowledge of sewing. I have two long pima cotton nighties, ready to repurpose. I think I can get 7 pairs of knickers from the two. They are pretty nighties, bought in a lands end sale a while ago.

I also have a decent amount of lovely stretch lace fabric, just asking to be made into beautiful high end comfy knickers.

Rigby and peller knickers are almost the same as the free acacia pattern from Megan nielsen, there is an excellent sewalong for these acacia knickers from youtube beyond the pink door. Even my 13 year old dgd has started to sew her own from this pattern, following the sewalong. It is really very easy but be prepared for a few initial tweaks to get to the perfect pair

High end knickers ie well made with beautiful trim cost between £50 and £70. I make tham for around £3-5 a pair

Forsythia Thu 05-Jan-23 11:21:42

I also wear the M&S fuller briefs otherwise known as granny knickers. I find them comfortable to wear especially in hot weather. I only wear all cotton underwear. I’ve not tried Sloggi.

Auntieflo Thu 05-Jan-23 11:28:04

I was lucky before Christmas, in that I bought some full briefs from a sale in MandCo. Can't have too many knickers.

Vintagenonna Thu 05-Jan-23 11:43:08

Thanks for this link, Karmalady.

Many years ago I handed over a couple of sets of flannelette sheets to a young woman heading off to University who wanted to turn them into directoire knickers.

Grannyjacq1 Thu 05-Jan-23 12:24:55

Thanks for all your comments- there is obviously a gap in the market, as well as in the nether regions! I've had Sloggi in the past, which used to be great, but, like M and S , quality has declined. I'm off to Sainsbury to test drive Tu knickers - watch this space - though not too much I hope!

Vintagenonna Tue 10-Jan-23 17:08:07

The ultimate test of botty-bags, surely, is their durability as dusters once they have been retired from active service.

Litterpicker Tue 10-Jan-23 17:23:03

My daughter has just recommended this brand - I haven’t tried them yet but planning to order

www.amazon.co.uk/INNERSY-Panties-Cotton-Underwear-Knickers/dp/B08TWRL4CT/ref=sr_1_5?c=ts&s=apparel&ts_id=1731380031&keywords=Women%27s+Knickers&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1673371191&refinements=p_89%3AINNERSY&sr=1-5

Dibbydod Tue 10-Jan-23 17:38:16

I wear M&S full brief knickers , otherwise known as granny knickers , but , I don’t care , it’s all about comfort as that’s very important when you wear them all day , every day , and M&S full briefs are exceptionally comfy I must say , also , who’s going to be seeing them anyway ? We are not youngsters /teenagers going on first dates nowadays are we , and if our hubbies sees them , so what! Why should we put up with uncomfortable knickers as we get older just to look ‘ sexy ‘ .

Farzanah Tue 10-Jan-23 18:13:52

Home made knickers, crikey. I wouldn’t be skilled enough.
I was looking for M&S midi knickers, and found them labelled high rise shorts! Look the same to me.

rubysong Tue 10-Jan-23 18:28:08

Well done Karmalady . I once made a pair of knickers from an old t shirt. Maybe I'll have another go. It would be possible to put extra padding in the gusset instead of buying pads as lots of us do. Much more environmentally friendly.

Vintagenonna Tue 10-Jan-23 19:45:16

What a fine word - Gusset - my eldest daughter always said she'd name her first daughter "Gusset".

Glad she changed her mind.