Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Where can I find the latest fashion inspiration and tips for women?

(18 Posts)
janets1963 Wed 11-Jan-23 11:42:30

Hello everyone! I've been looking for a place to get some inspiration and tips for my personal style, and I thought this forum would be a great place to start. It can be difficult to stay up-to-date on the latest fashion trends and find new ways to express myself through my wardrobe. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for where I can look for inspiration, whether it's specific blogs, Social Media accounts, or Magazines. I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

BigBertha1 Wed 11-Jan-23 11:50:25

I do look at the fashion mags and they are good for trends but usually show very high priced items so you then have to scour the shops on line to find that trend at a price you can afford. John Lewis do a personal edit on line and the same thing applies. I think you need to think first about your lifestyle and what kind of clothes it dictates i.e. are you still at work/what kind of environment is that. I don't follow any 'influencers' on line but there are many. I'm sure someone on here will be more help- sorry.

Theexwife Wed 11-Jan-23 12:44:14

I find it best to people-watch, go to a crowded place sit and look at what others are wearing that are in your age and size range. When you see a style you like google the individual items to find a stockist that suits you financially.

It is often difficult to choose from an online pic where the clothes are modelled by people not in you body shape or age range.

Casdon Wed 11-Jan-23 12:55:51

I follow midlifechic, she is in her fifties, in the UK and has a great eye, I’ve bought quite a few clothes she has shown. It does depend what your style is, but there’s also a link on her page to other bloggers for our age group.
www.midlifechic.com/

Sarah75 Wed 11-Jan-23 12:56:43

Pinterest is quite useful - put in your age range / style of clothes etc

janets1963 Wed 11-Jan-23 16:13:51

BigBertha1

I do look at the fashion mags and they are good for trends but usually show very high priced items so you then have to scour the shops on line to find that trend at a price you can afford. John Lewis do a personal edit on line and the same thing applies. I think you need to think first about your lifestyle and what kind of clothes it dictates i.e. are you still at work/what kind of environment is that. I don't follow any 'influencers' on line but there are many. I'm sure someone on here will be more help- sorry.

Can you please share with me what kind of magazines or websites you enjoy reading for fashion inspiration? I'm always looking for new sources of inspiration and I would love to hear your recommendations!

Georgesgran Wed 11-Jan-23 19:10:38

The OP doesn’t say how or what size (perhaps too personal) she is, but if I was still a size 12, instead of a 16, I think my wardrobe would be quite different.

Urmstongran Wed 11-Jan-23 19:18:09

I never really know what’s ‘on trend’. I just assume that what’s in the shops are the newer styles and then just choose something I think suits me best.

aonk Wed 11-Jan-23 19:25:32

When I retired I made an appointment with a personal shopper. This one was in a mall but department stores like John Lewis have them. It’s a free service and you’re not obliged to buy any of the things the shopper suggests. There is a private area for you to try things on. I found it very informative.

Yammy Wed 11-Jan-23 19:26:52

Georgesgran

The OP doesn’t say how or what size (perhaps too personal) she is, but if I was still a size 12, instead of a 16, I think my wardrobe would be quite different.

So would mine. No longer do I shop to show my figure I shop to hide it . Some makes are downright depressing, I'm waiting for SAGA to bring one out, they seem to send about everything else.
I would love to book with a personal dresser at a shop, but after standing at the physio's in a bra and big girls' knickers, hoping the curtain would not flap open I,m not sure.
I did find the service that M&S used to do online quite helpful but they stopped.
John Lewis does one as well but I'm not sure how much notice they take of your size or age.

Ro60 Wed 11-Jan-23 20:58:17

Watching with interest. Still trying to grow into my older, size 8 body and change of lifestyle.

CanadianGran Wed 11-Jan-23 21:02:56

I follow midlifechic.com as well. Even though she uses mostly UK retailers, I can take her info as inspiration and find something similar here. If you have instagram there are many influencers over 50. Just search 'fashion over 50' and have a look. You will find anything from very expensive, posh outfits to more reasonable ones. Once you find someone that inspires you, follow them.

Milisainoz on instagram is colourful, stylish and fun, and not afraid to pose in a bathing suit.

V3ra Wed 11-Jan-23 21:15:46

People watching and what is in the shops are my starting points.

I will go to a shop, nowhere posh or expensive I'm afraid (TKMaxx or Matalan) and roam along the rails picking out anything in colours or styles I like and think will suit me.

Then I'll take an armful of garments into the changing rooms and spend as long as it takes to try everything on, often a couple of times, and really think about if it's comfortable and suits my lifestyle (casual).
I might buy only one or two items.

Then when I get them home I'll have a look at them with other items, shoes, jewellery and make a final decision.
If I'm not happy I'll return them.

I've had successful buys of coats this winter from Amazon. Loads of choices and easy to return.

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Jan-23 22:09:03

I would look at trend magazines through my library. Sign up to their digital service.

Wyllow3 Wed 11-Jan-23 22:37:08

Just look a lot online for JL clothes, M n S, Next, designer brands - well, the lot - and you see patterns of fashion emerging quite easily. Chose TV programmes where you might see it.

Betsylee Fri 13-Jan-23 19:02:05

I would recommend having a look on YouTube too, there's many people on there who do shopping hauls which are not sponsored and will give an honest review. I suggest looking for people who are your size roughly, in your budget and your kind of lifestyle and this will give you ideas.

AreWeThereYet Fri 13-Jan-23 19:57:42

I use Pin interest and social media too. One of the advantages is you can do it from home at any time 😁

Just Google 'fashion for over 50/60s/whatever' and loads of sites come up. Just go through some of them looking for people with the same sort of shape/age/height and see what they are wearing. You don't even have to copy all their style but they might give you options for dress lengths/jacket lengths/collar styles/colours. Ideas on different ways to wear things you've got even.

MawtheMerrier Fri 13-Jan-23 20:42:35

I think people watching was one of the things I missed most in this respect during the pandemic. I felt I lost my touch when it came to choosing what to wear - and I made some expensive mistakes.