Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Swim wear

(26 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 17-Jan-23 23:11:55

I'm in the market for a new swimsuit.

I just want to be comfy in the pool. Well, I actually want to find a suit I like too, but it also needs to be comfy.

Why oh why do almost all women's one piece suits have bl**dy tummy control? I don't care if my tummy is out of control. I don't want to be bandaged up and restricted when I'm trying to be active.

Grrrrr

Nell8 Tue 17-Jan-23 23:23:42

Lands' End do women's swimwear described as "tugless"!

Joseanne Tue 17-Jan-23 23:28:26

For proper pool swimming costumes I usually head for a sports shop like Decathlon. I'm not saying I choose the speedo type swimsuits that make one look like an Olympic athlete, but they do have some nice ones which aren't all about enhancing your curves or keeping your tummy in. Reasonable price too.

OnwardandUpward Tue 17-Jan-23 23:50:15

Following as I need a new one. I also dislike tummy control for the reason that it is hard to get on and off. Cosmetically useful though, of course.

I favour shops that cater for long body's as I have one- but I cant think of the names right now.

MiniMoon Wed 18-Jan-23 00:04:02

I bought my swim dress from Swimwear 356.co.uk. They have a huge range of swimwear. It's worth a look.

vegansrock Wed 18-Jan-23 05:20:47

Zoggs are a good brand for proper swimwear you can swim in, plus they have some nice styles.

Spice101 Wed 18-Jan-23 05:38:24

I wear a tankini on the pool, no tummy control and easier to get on and off than a one piece.

vegansrock Wed 18-Jan-23 05:42:00

www.zoggs.com/en_GB/swimwear/womens?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3bvtjLTQ_AIVx-3tCh1S2gdUEAAYASABEgK2ffD_BwE

grandMattie Wed 18-Jan-23 05:55:34

Tankini or maternity. Neither bother about tummies!

BigBertha1 Wed 18-Jan-23 07:30:05

I'm reading this too but for holiday swimwear I might actually get in the pool this year and I'm considering some lessons before that to help with the terror of swimming pools. If like a really nice one piece in a bright colour.

Parsley3 Wed 18-Jan-23 09:10:13

I too am looking for a swimsuit. I have a lovely one which I bought years ago from Figleaves as I need good boobage control. So far I can't find a replacement.

MerylStreep Wed 18-Jan-23 09:20:03

Sainsbury have some at a good price. I’ve got this one and a plain dark blue.

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Red-Leaf-Print-Tummy-Control-Swimsuit/141471279?istCompanyId=07cf3c1d-7207-477f-aab0-212732e114dd&istFeedId=03391e81-6312-4095-9322-96087f0115ae&istItemId=rrxrrraiw&istBid=t&&src=Google&med=Shopping&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17468682663&utm_term=141471279141471279&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=140532481111&utm_custom2=825-875-8916&gclid=CjwKCAiAzp6eBhByEiwA_gGq5OFkYu64UYNStlXZWfPWqNF1YzdRONGG5hWFLTJG6xO7IxZ9tn-aNhoCAhEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

BigBertha1 Wed 18-Jan-23 09:35:51

I dare say if I start searching on line for a swimsuit all kind of adverts will pop up on here and FB

OnwardandUpward Fri 20-Jan-23 09:42:21

I'll tell you where I wouldnt shop for a swimsuit. Sports Direct. I bought a two piece tankini there last year. A they sent the wrong design and B the under wire came out one side so I had to take it out the other side. I didn't realise it came with wiring in the first place and it wasn't very comfortable. I had liked the design I ordered (tropical flowers) but didn't have time to return the one they sent and ended up wearing it anyway.

Who has time to figure out how to return things bought online? I might just go to the shops....

OnwardandUpward Fri 20-Jan-23 09:47:28

PS I did buy some swim shorts in LandsEnd that are really good. They look like shorts and have a sewn in bikini bottom so you can wear them with a tankini top. I find it to be a good outfit to wear out for a day, so you can look respectable and also throw yourself in the water if you choose to. www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_9ins_Board_Shorts_-_with_Swim_Briefs_/pp/P_41172.html?dwvar_P__41172_color=TUR

They are really good and I have them in black, so they look good with a black floral tropical tankini top. It's respectable enough that you can go in shops etc but still be water ready instantly. I also bought water shoes from there and they are comfortable enough to wear all day, but still great to go in the water whenever you want.

I'd shop at LandsEnd again but wait for the discounts!

Esmay Fri 20-Jan-23 10:05:03

Every sympathy - I hate those tummy control swimsuits they are so uncomfortable to move in .

It's like going to a restaurant in new tight shapewear !

I'm really embarrassed by my veiny , white blotchy legs and by the swelling on one knee - so I ordered three modest Muslim swimsuits from Amazon .

Unlike other clothes bought from them -they are super quality and very comfortable .
Just keep looking on the web .
Good luck .

OnwardandUpward Fri 20-Jan-23 10:47:52

Esmay, I agree! Did you get the long arm and long legged ones?

I also avoid low necked swimwear because I once got badly burned cleavage and its a pain to keep applying cream there- also sand is a pain so I cover up now.

CraftyGranny Fri 20-Jan-23 11:01:40

I too like Lands End costumes. You can get Tankinis and bottom separate for those who have different size top and bottom. They also have underwired and the swimshorts are lovely.

V3ra Fri 20-Jan-23 14:34:18

Another vote for Amazon here, I searched for "rash vest women" and all sorts of styles and separates came up.
I've had T-shirt style tops and polo shirt tops, long-sleeved zip-up tops, shorts and below-knee length crops.
I needed swimwear/beachwear that would keep the sun off as much of my skin as possible because of a bad eczema flare-up last year and these were perfect.
A friend had mentioned buying her grandson a rash vest as his fair skin burns, which gave me the idea.

OnwardandUpward Fri 20-Jan-23 16:10:18

I looked at Amazon and some of the rash vests are like Tankini tops, so I've found a few nice ones. I don't really trust the reviews on there though and worry about the fabric. Also I prefer to spend money that stays in this country, rather than send it abroad, so I rarely shop there.

Norah Fri 20-Jan-23 16:44:22

Land's End

Redrobin51 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:41:33

I used to swim twice a week and had several costumes but actually found a Tankini much better. Often they can be bought as the two separate pieces so you can get a much better fit. When wet they are much easier to get in and off, wouldn't go back to a normal swimming costume again.x

AdaDoom Sun 22-Jan-23 06:10:15

I buy mine from Boden - 20% off at the moment,

Quokka Sun 22-Jan-23 06:23:05

I find sports shops best and you can try them on beforehand.

OnwardandUpward Sun 22-Jan-23 21:19:25

Oooh Boden! I haven't tried their swimwear. Nice designs though.

Good point about the sports shops. I tend to buy online , try in the privacy of my home and return to the shop though.