Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you keep separate clothes for house and garden chores?

(31 Posts)
Fernbergien Sat 28-Jan-23 11:36:02

I have always kept old clothes for round the house and garden and good clothes for entertaining and going out. The problem is you can accumulate too many clothes. What do you do? I am trying to reduce stuff in general not only clothes.

tanith Sat 28-Jan-23 11:49:48

Well I have every day clothes if I’m going nowhere and will do whatever is necessary in them, garden, housework or just walking so they are sort of presentable. Then clothes I wear if I’m going somewhere particular not really posh but a bit more special than everyday.

Fleurpepper Sat 28-Jan-23 11:53:35

I do keep a set of clothes for decorating, washed regularly but covered with paint.

And as tanith says, everyday clothes for gardening and house chores, but will change to go out.

IrishDancing Sat 28-Jan-23 11:54:19

Sort of, but then I find dirty marks on something “decent” …
DM always had “good” clothes so maybe I’m rebelling (aged 68!)?

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 11:58:09

No I get dressed in whatever and do what I need to do during the day be it house work gardening shopping if I was going out to lunch I might change but otherwise my daywear is my daywear

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-Jan-23 12:02:59

No. I wear the same.

nanna8 Sat 28-Jan-23 12:05:55

No but if I go in the garden I put rubber boots on and take my shoes off. Don’t want to get bitten. I wouldn’t wear good evening clothes in the garden.

Georgesgran Sat 28-Jan-23 12:09:01

DH, bless him, kept paint trousers - only thing was he’d never painted anything for 25 years! Kept them - just in case though.
He took a car battery off once in his best Levis and they ended up in holes.
He did keep scruffy jeans for mowing the lawn though - but I think it was just to ‘look the part’.

NotAGran55 Sat 28-Jan-23 12:14:33

I have a set of clothes for house work days and the odd bit of gardening. Comfortable leggings and loose top to move around in, OK to get marked by cleaning products etc.

eazybee Sat 28-Jan-23 12:19:24

Yes, I have a drawerful. It is an excuse to wear old but comfortable jeans and baggy scruffy jumpers and T shirts Ii am particularly fond of, and I wear them under the impression they make me look like Barbara Good.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 12:20:42

Yes! I look a total rag bag when I’m gardening, I even have a boiled wool jacket that I have had for donkeys years to wear when it’s cold like today. Just come in to chat to son (with covid) on phone and have coffee.

My gear to do housework in is the same. There is no way I could wear it to a restaurant, theatre etc

Norah Sat 28-Jan-23 13:07:57

Yes, I've clothes for dog walking, exercise, gardening, painting, dirty work apart from clothes I wear all day. Church clothes as well.

henetha Sat 28-Jan-23 13:10:36

Yes. I have indoor clothes and clothes for going out in. I change my clothes quite often, which even irritates me at times so I wish I didn't feel always compelled to.

M0nica Sat 28-Jan-23 13:15:45

I usually wear the same, but have a heavy duty denim apron for cleaning and a gardening apron, gardening shoes and tatty old fleece for extra warmth in the garden when gardening.

Jaxjacky Sat 28-Jan-23 13:15:59

No, I wear what I wear, I do change shoes for gardening, but that’s it.

sodapop Sat 28-Jan-23 13:16:18

I'm the same henetha but I make such a mess of my indoor clothes I couldnt go out in them. Food splashes, bleach, animal hair etc. I am quite clumsy so spill things a lot.

henetha Sat 28-Jan-23 13:19:05

And me, sodapop. I've often got spills of some sort on me, hence the continual changing! I drive myself mad with it! grin

Judy54 Sat 28-Jan-23 13:46:47

Yes separate clothes for housework and days I stay indoors. Tend to mostly wear casual clothes and have some lovely dressy outfits which I don't get to wear much these days. I am thinking about starting to wear some of these special clothes more rather than them languishing in the wardrobe.

merlotgran Sat 28-Jan-23 14:21:23

I wear old jeans and T shirts/jumpers for gardening and decorating which means I live in them!!

Grannybags Sat 28-Jan-23 14:30:25

I have scruffy comfortable “house clothes” that I feel embarrassed to be seen in if anyone comes unexpectedly.

I have walking clothes to wear when we do our (almost!) daily 4/5 mile walk

Then I have “posher” clothes for shopping and going out in

Casdon Sat 28-Jan-23 14:43:31

Yes, my jeans start off smart and get relegated as they get scruffier, ending up as decorating clothes if I haven’t ripped or gone through the knees in the garden. I wear an old sweatshirt or fleece for cleaning in, as I always seem to get stuff on the sleeves. I’ve also got a disgusting old jacket for the garden which has bonfire spark holes on it.

Callistemon21 Sat 28-Jan-23 14:43:45

I've just been sorting out, inspired by a couple of threads on here, and three out two pairs of jogging bottoms with a couple of bleach spots and paint. However - I might retrieve them from the rag bag, you never know when they might come in handy.

My 'house clothes' would be ok for a trip to the supermarket but not for going out for lunch with friends smile

Callistemon21 Sat 28-Jan-23 14:44:10

threw out, not three out

1987H2001M2002Inanny Sat 28-Jan-23 14:44:20

Don't really like to tell but I've become a bit of a slob.For years hubbie has worn PJ bottoms when were at home so I thought if you cant beat them join them and wear a nice comfy nighty or PJ's.

AreWeThereYet Sat 28-Jan-23 14:44:56

Not any more. I have some old shirts I use to cover up if I am painting and some old gardening shoes but other than that I refuse to keep clothes for 'best' or going out. Obviously there are a few things that are for more formal events that won't get worn every day.