Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Stretching a toe box upwards?

(26 Posts)
Ailidh Thu 02-Mar-23 15:28:44

I have a manky right foot, to use the technical term, with a bunion on my big toe, and the next one to it is a hammer toe.
The bunion has stopped moving, hurrah, but the hammer toe is a real pain.

It's getting harder to find comfy shoes.
I bought my first ever Docs a year or so ago: they are So comfortable sole wise but they nip the hammer toe.

I've recently bought some shoes from Irregularchoice - some fabulous shoes and a 70% sale on currently - one pair some "high heels", 5.3 cm, that's high for me, one pair trainers. Again, very comfy in the sole but just catching the hammer toe.

I can find shoe stretchers to lengthen or widen shoes but not to deepen them.
Has anyone come across such a thing?
Has anyone got any good ideas about how to stretch a toe box upwards?
Has anyone a cunning plan for protecting a hammer toe if I wear these shoes for a special treat?

Ta.
šŸŒ¼

Blossoming Thu 02-Mar-23 15:54:28

Can you straighten the hammer toe or is it rigid? A toe straightener on your foot might be more helpful than trying to alter the shape of the shoes. There are some shoe stretchers on Amazon that claim to be multi directional but I donā€™t know if they work.

vintage1950 Thu 02-Mar-23 15:57:13

Could you ask a chiropodist for advice?

shysal Thu 02-Mar-23 16:01:15

I have some of this type of shoe stretcher. I have the same problem with my second toe next to a bunion. I have stretched the top of a shoe by attaching either the 'bumps' supplied or a more bulky item such as a torch battery! Damping the shoe first helps. It is a pain isn't it? Good luck!
Shoe stretchers

Ailidh Thu 02-Mar-23 16:13:32

shysal - thank you, I'll investigate these! You're right, it IS a pain. I've never worn "inappropriate" shoes in my life, always "sensible" ones - I'm not even paying back a life in wild child stilettoes!!

vintage1950 - thank you. I saw her last week. Her advice was to wear shoes with a deep toe box. I didn't say "duh", well, only inwardly. It'd be nice to view find deep toe box And fashionable!

Blossoming - thank you, good thought. I've always ignored ads for these because they don't actually cure the problem but yes, the toe straightens slightly, so it might be worth seeing if it could be made to lie a bit straighter just for the occasional, given shoe.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Mar-23 17:05:12

Widerfit shoes have deeper toe boxes and removable insoles to fit orthotics if needed.

I had a hammer toe straightened by the NHS years ago, it had caused me a lot of problems for years.

Elegran Thu 02-Mar-23 17:32:06

I buy Widerfit shoes too, Callistemon and they are excellent for people with non-standard toes and other difficult feet. They have advice and a fitting guide at www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/pu+information+fittingadvice+1 They frequently have Special Offers - there is one of just now.

Elegran Thu 02-Mar-23 17:32:52

On not of.

cornergran Thu 02-Mar-23 18:55:04

My hammer toes, 2 on each foot with me from birth, are protected by foam cushioning called toe protectors. Itā€™s enough to take the pressure off for me. I find Skechers soft shoes excellent for comfort. Arenā€™t the wretched hammer toes painful Ailidh. What Iā€™d give for attractive feet. My parents were refused treatment for me as I was able to walk. Immobility being the only criteria for surgery back then apparently. Fortunately itā€™s different now.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Mar-23 19:36:47

cornergran

My hammer toes, 2 on each foot with me from birth, are protected by foam cushioning called toe protectors. Itā€™s enough to take the pressure off for me. I find Skechers soft shoes excellent for comfort. Arenā€™t the wretched hammer toes painful Ailidh. What Iā€™d give for attractive feet. My parents were refused treatment for me as I was able to walk. Immobility being the only criteria for surgery back then apparently. Fortunately itā€™s different now.

An orthopaedic surgeon once said to me he wasn't going to operate on my feet because he wouldn't know where to start.
I bet if I'd had any money in my teens and twenties to pay privately he would have found a way.

Bixiboo Thu 02-Mar-23 22:30:45

Sole Bliss make shoes for bunions and hammer toes with a wider toe box. They seem to get good review too.

tattygran14 Thu 02-Mar-23 22:41:13

I think mine were caused by Dr Scholls clumpy sandals in the 60s. In desperation in the past Iā€™ve rammed shoe toes with a potato forced in with a wooden spoon, and left overnight. It helped a bit. Otherwise, I always have some toe protectors in my bag, soft tubes, lined with silicone.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Mar-23 22:49:55

tattygran14

I think mine were caused by Dr Scholls clumpy sandals in the 60s. In desperation in the past Iā€™ve rammed shoe toes with a potato forced in with a wooden spoon, and left overnight. It helped a bit. Otherwise, I always have some toe protectors in my bag, soft tubes, lined with silicone.

I completely misread that šŸ˜²
Don't ask!

That could work, pushing something rounded into the toe of the shoe, you could then spray the leather with shoe stretcher spray.

ExDancer Thu 09-Mar-23 12:12:20

Its the height of the box that's the problem, not the width, and there doesn't seem to be a firm that understands this simple fact.

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 12:21:16

Not sure if I have a hammertoe, but for years, I have had a bunion on my left foot and the toe next to the big toe crosses over the big toe, none of it is painful yet and I buy toe spacers but they donā€™t really work
I would post a photo, but donā€™t want to put anybody off their lunch..šŸ˜¬

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 12:24:48

Shinamae

Not sure if I have a hammertoe, but for years, I have had a bunion on my left foot and the toe next to the big toe crosses over the big toe, none of it is painful yet and I buy toe spacers but they donā€™t really work
I would post a photo, but donā€™t want to put anybody off their lunch..šŸ˜¬

The encroaching toe actually pushes the nail down on my big toe into the left-hand corner, so Iā€™m sure that will get painful at some point
A few months ago, my doctor asked me to send a photo which I did. He sent it to the hospital and they said at the moment there is no need to do anything

GrammyGrammy Thu 09-Mar-23 12:28:32

tennis ball

Juliet27 Thu 09-Mar-23 12:33:53

How strange to come across this thread just as Iā€™ve put bunion correctors on my feet. I also have a hammer toe which does its best to hide itself under the toe next to it. Thereā€™s only one pair of shoes that hurt it but the foot generally looks such an odd shape that I do sometimes wonder whether itā€™s worth an operation.

Elegran Thu 09-Mar-23 12:39:20

ExDancer

Its the height of the box that's the problem, not the width, and there doesn't seem to be a firm that understands this simple fact.

Some firms have been mentioned on this thread. I would recommend trying out DB Shoes.

for Ā£Ā£
DB Shoes, www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/pu+information+fittingadvice+1 These are the shoes that I have bought for twenty years.
Sole Bliss, solebliss.com/collections/shoes-for-hammer-toes.
Shoes with a wider toe section and made of soft leather can accommodate the toe vertically as well as allowing space horizontally.

also online (but I have no experience of them) are:-

thefitville.uk/collections/womens-hammer-toe www.footsolutionsrichmond.co.uk/foot-problems/hammer-toes/
www.webstershoes.co.uk/orthopaedic-shoes/hammer-toes.html
(For $$ see www.barkingdogshoes.com/shoes-hammertoes-19-amazing-shoes-reviewed/ )

lemsip Thu 09-Mar-23 12:44:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lemsip Thu 09-Mar-23 12:47:15

oh silly me.... what has that got to do with a toe box

I've asked for it to be deleted so I can put it where it belongs!!

Elegran Thu 09-Mar-23 12:48:02

Shinamae My second toe is longer than the big toe, and kinks up in the middle. The big toe bends toward it, The side of the big toe nail is wider than the flesh, digging into the second toe. It needs to be filed smooth every week or so, or the edge cuts in and has the same effect as an ingrowing toenail, but on the next toe. Having wide feet (EEEE) doesn't help.

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 13:06:51

Elegran

Shinamae My second toe is longer than the big toe, and kinks up in the middle. The big toe bends toward it, The side of the big toe nail is wider than the flesh, digging into the second toe. It needs to be filed smooth every week or so, or the edge cuts in and has the same effect as an ingrowing toenail, but on the next toe. Having wide feet (EEEE) doesn't help.

I have wide, flat ,horrible feet šŸ˜¬

In fact, when he was about six, my eldest son said ā€œmummy, why have you got witches feetā€. šŸ„¹

Elegran Thu 09-Mar-23 13:22:51

Shinamae But they are the right shape for standing firmly on! You have a good solid base that won't let you down. Get shoes that fit, support and look good, and don't slop around barefoot in front of people likely to criticize - or tell them their dainty slender size 3s in narrow tight-fitting 4-inch heels will cost them in foot pain later on.

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 17:16:43

Elegran

Shinamae But they are the right shape for standing firmly on! You have a good solid base that won't let you down. Get shoes that fit, support and look good, and don't slop around barefoot in front of people likely to criticize - or tell them their dainty slender size 3s in narrow tight-fitting 4-inch heels will cost them in foot pain later on.

Donā€™t worry, very few people ever see my feet!! šŸ˜šŸ’šŸ’