Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Horrible furry top lip

(53 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 26-Mar-23 16:31:41

Not the most gentile of subjects , but what is the best way of painlessly sorting out a furry top lip. I try plucking but it takes forever. A few years ago I tried electrolysis but it hurt for ages! Is there any thing better than smelly creams?

DanniRae Thu 06-Apr-23 16:05:36

Glad to be of help!! smile

Susiewakie Thu 06-Apr-23 15:56:36

Thank you grans ! Finishing touch has given me back confidence to go out and about its great

Sasta Wed 29-Mar-23 12:55:03

Arto1s

Plucking on an almost daily basis! Facial threading every few months. Works for me.

Ooh just reading this made my eyes water. I tried once but hated it, it actually made me cry involuntarily yet an epilator doesn’t hurt me at all 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sasta Wed 29-Mar-23 12:50:10

Yes there is Lizbethann55! Having very thick dark hair I started getting ‘rid’ of my tash at 13 and shaved my legs from 12. Roll on a million years, I have much less hair, but I still manage a good tash and chin whiskers 🙄. I used that cream for years, many burns later changed to the bleach cream and had a ginger tash instead which was worse. Then I started having it ‘sugared’ by a friend. Ripped out by the roots but was the best yet and grew back softly. Then my friend went abroad so I started doing it myself with hot wax - nightmare of a mess! Then I realised as they were being ripped out, I might try my epilator (which I’d only used for my legs and is brilliant). That was £25 years ago and STILL using my epilator (for everything) with fab results. Now that my eyesight isn’t so great, I set a reminder on my phone to whip over it all twice a week and it’s smooth as a baby’s bum. If I forget a ‘session’, I take the thicker ones out with tweezers before epilating. So easy, clean and effective. And it’s free once you get a good epilator. You get used to the slight sting after a few goes, but I still can’t do my underarms.

Saggi Wed 29-Mar-23 10:10:20

Electric hair remover …or as men call them ‘ a ‘shaver’

LRavenscroft Wed 29-Mar-23 08:59:15

I book in once a fortnight at local beautician's for a lip wax.

Blinko Wed 29-Mar-23 08:54:06

Sago hilarious! Thanks for a good laugh first thing this morning...

Kartush Wed 29-Mar-23 06:31:46

facial wax strips every time, gets rid of all those unwanted whiskers

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 20:55:50

Link won’t work I will try again.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiAzOCas__9AhWETEEAHZvCDccQFnoECC0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thepoke.co.uk%2F2019%2F07%2F19%2Fthis-poor-guys-review-of-veet-hair-removal-on-amazon-is-epic-brilliantly-written-very-funny%2F&usg=AOvVaw0vMmK2tN602oGvppxE51xY

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 20:54:37

Men also have issues with excess hair…..if you’re in need of a laugh then click on the link and read this “ Veet for Men “ review.

amazon.co.uk%2Freview%2FR3GDDEL1SC1QQ5&usg=AOvVaw2J2m4DQHPM6bJcpw0ukhvW]]

LadyGaGa Tue 28-Mar-23 20:51:02

A rechargeable Flawless for me. Works brilliantly. Tried it after a top lip epilator cream left me with a red scabby moustache 😳

HiMay Tue 28-Mar-23 20:45:43

Had electrolysis for years. Seemed to work. Then all grew back on lip and chin with a vengeance. Use epilator on chin and razor attachment on lip, plus some plucking in between

Juliet27 Tue 28-Mar-23 18:31:01

If the upper lip hair is fine maybe it’s worth just bleaching.

Wyllow3 Tue 28-Mar-23 18:09:51

Granmarderby10

Ouch, got a bit carried away with the Veet gel-wax facial strips and got a slightly scabby upper lip (filtrum?)
It’ll fade but always have to resort to ice cubes wrapped in a muslin cloth.
The thing is there’s down/peach fluff and there’s dark hair.

Nature is sooo annoying. Why has my head hair gone white from dark brown, but legs and face and arms and even hands now! have stayed dark or started growing in unexpected places ? 😧 must find a better way or not bother at all

You are right about nature.

I don't mind the change from brown to white hair but I do object to its thinning.

However there is a bit less on my legs than used to be so I just shave them weekly - pride plus swimming.

On the other hand lets get down to basics: annoyingly more hair descending into bikini line than when young!

But I want to go back to recommending electrolysis or laser stuff because my experience of regular plucking/epilator is that its harder on the skin- but that might just be mine.

Welshy Tue 28-Mar-23 17:57:14

I have one of these, but I only paid £15 for mine. Prices have shot up!
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078J39LBN?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_4&crid=29FGIZC2H7YZF&sprefix=veet&&&tag=gransnetforum-21
It also has an attachment for nasal hairs too grin

Lizbethann55 Tue 28-Mar-23 17:19:40

Thank you all. There are lots of good ideas . I think I will be visiting Boots ASAP.

Arto1s Tue 28-Mar-23 17:01:22

Plucking on an almost daily basis! Facial threading every few months. Works for me.

Juicylucy Tue 28-Mar-23 15:00:17

Go to beauticians there’s amazing ways to remove them now.

effalump Tue 28-Mar-23 14:52:44

Waxing and threading?

Jodieb Tue 28-Mar-23 14:38:19

Finishing touch etc. a lot cheaper on ebay

Granmarderby10 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:35:39

Ouch, got a bit carried away with the Veet gel-wax facial strips and got a slightly scabby upper lip (filtrum?)
It’ll fade but always have to resort to ice cubes wrapped in a muslin cloth.
The thing is there’s down/peach fluff and there’s dark hair.

Nature is sooo annoying. Why has my head hair gone white from dark brown, but legs and face and arms and even hands now! have stayed dark or started growing in unexpected places ? 😧 must find a better way or not bother at all

Oldnproud Tue 28-Mar-23 14:23:52

Thanks for starting this thread, Lizbethann55, and to those who recommended the Finishing Touch Flawless.

I've been needing something better than tweezers for this job for ages, and thanks to you all I now have one on order.

AskAlice Tue 28-Mar-23 14:19:05

I've had a facial epilator for a few years now. Because it's got a much smaller head than a normal epilator there is no chance of catching the skin (but you should stretch the skin slightly anyway.) It's rechargeable and after the first couple of goes you get used to the sensation and it doesn't feel painful. I use it on my underarms too.

It's one of these:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epilators-Remover-Rechargeable-Epilator-Including/dp/B0BQF5V9BG/ref=sr_1_7?crid=WN1DUDRTM73F&keywords=Facial+epilator&qid=1680009354&sprefix=facial+epilator%2Caps%2C433&sr=8-7

cc Tue 28-Mar-23 14:16:23

2507C0

Laser at a beauticians. If the hairs are dark it works really well and it’s permanent

I was told by a beautician that lasers don't work on pale hair so no use for many of us.

Betty18 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:11:47

I have one of those spring things that you run over your skin. Works well but can be painful