Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Horrible furry top lip

(52 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 26-Mar-23 16:31:41

Not the most gentile of subjects , but what is the best way of painlessly sorting out a furry top lip. I try plucking but it takes forever. A few years ago I tried electrolysis but it hurt for ages! Is there any thing better than smelly creams?

Lizbethann55 Sun 26-Mar-23 16:41:39

Woops!!! Genteel!! Not gentile!!!!😳😳😳😳

Marydoll Sun 26-Mar-23 16:52:03

I have one of these, it's painless.

FinishingTouch

Marydoll Sun 26-Mar-23 16:52:40

I also have a slimmer one for my eyebrows, so much easier!

Redhead56 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:17:36

I have one too.

Sarah75 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:33:44

Those are on special offer (and free p and p) here

finishingtouchflawless.co.uk/products/hair-removal/flawless-face-3-0-battery

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:59:46

Waxing by a qualified beautician.

GagaJo Sun 26-Mar-23 18:05:55

Wax strips at home.

Squiffy Sun 26-Mar-23 18:14:22

Wizzit epilator. It’s a bit painful during the first couple of uses, but you get used to it!

sodapop Sun 26-Mar-23 19:12:56

The creams specifically for facial hair removal are not smelly at all now Lizbethann

PiscesLady Sun 26-Mar-23 20:00:39

I've got a Braun Face Mini Hair Remover after seeing it recommended on here. Brilliant. On offer with Boots at the moment.

dogsmother Mon 27-Mar-23 18:47:53

Had pcos when younger and always a bit hairy. I tried electrolysis, waxing and some light transmission thing ( can’t remember the name) any how gave in and used a daily razor…..
There is no real stubble and I love it. Also laugh when I see the beauty treatment “dermaplaning” being advertised. Pretty sure that’s what I do in the morning!

inishowen Tue 28-Mar-23 11:13:30

I use wax strips at home. I often wonder why the strips are not curved to actually fit across the upper lip💋!

JRTW2 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:23:16

Threading

thomasina34 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:29:26

Epilators are the best, painful the first few times but afterwards you dont get any pain at all

Corkie91 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:38:45

Threading or waxing works

Mrsdof Tue 28-Mar-23 11:46:42

I also use the Braun Face Mini Hair Remover after seeing it mentioned on GN. Very reasonably priced and easy to use. I love it. smile

Holsterdal Tue 28-Mar-23 11:55:33

Hi this is my first time commenting on Grans net so hope I have done this right. Years ago I got a no no they are great if you have patience to keep going. Eventually the hair is gone for good.
There are newer versions now more suitable for face and delicate areas.

sandelf Tue 28-Mar-23 12:00:30

My daughter uses an epilator on her legs. I copied her - got the hang of it. Then, fed up of the tedium of endless tweezing/shaving, had a go on the upper lip. Works fine. You do have to take care as could nip - it is not sold for faces so the risk is yours. It is a bit ooch as you are tweezing lots at speed. But the end result is much better than anything else - and process quick and home based. uk.braun.com/en-gb/female-hair-removal/epilators/silk-epil-9-skinspa

DanniRae Tue 28-Mar-23 12:14:40

Marydoll

I have one of these, it's painless.

FinishingTouch

I always vowed I would never use a razor on my face but eventually gave one of these a try and it is brilliant! I pluck out all the big, horrible hairs .... usually on my chin .... and then finish with the 'Finishing Touch'. Job done smile

Wyllow3 Tue 28-Mar-23 12:21:32

I go to electrolysis.

How painful it is depends on the strength of charge they use. It sounds as if they were using too high a charge for you. They can turn them down to less charge.

I'm not ruling out any of the suggestions above but electrolysis is permanent after few goes with each hair and is not expensive. It kills the root off.

My beautician told me that the problems with plucking the hair out in any way, is that is grows back stronger, but I cannot be sure about that. She recommended cutting the hair close to the skin between electrolysis. I'm almost hair free now. Yes I will have to carry on going back now and then over the years but its a lot less hassle in-between.

I suspect there are some very expensive laser treatments available that are as permanent as electrolysis but haven't needed to explore them.

charliebb Tue 28-Mar-23 12:44:24

My Braun epilator works a treat on facial and leg hair. Bit uncomfortable but bearable.

Shandy3 Tue 28-Mar-23 12:45:40

A NoNo, pain free!

2507C0 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:19:07

Laser at a beauticians. If the hairs are dark it works really well and it’s permanent

Saetana Tue 28-Mar-23 13:19:56

My issue is my chin rather than my top lip but I just use my Ladyshave - its one of those with a long handle and narrow head, takes all of 30 seconds and only needs to be done about once a week. I use the trimmer and then the foil head for a nice smooth finish and best of all its completely painless!