Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you wear shorts in the warm weather?

(97 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 27-May-23 14:05:23

I’m thinking I’m too old to wear them ( legs aren’t what they used to be grin ) but in the lovely weather I don’t always want to cover up with long floaty dresses.
Funnily enough, I wouldn’t think twice about wearing shorts on holiday.
Just a bit self conscious I guess?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 27-May-23 15:30:06

Who knows how many summers I have left?

I shall wear what I like when I like, as long as I feel comfortable and DH and family neither laugh hysterically or refuse to be seen with me 🤣🙋‍♀️🤣🙋‍♀️

BlueBelle Sat 27-May-23 15:52:04

Hooray GGme too 😍

MayBee70 Sat 27-May-23 15:57:32

Even when young I never had the legs for shorts. And I now have horrible varicose veins. I do have some of those bloomer type knickers which I wear under floaty cotton dresses when it’s s hot.

NanaDana Sat 27-May-23 16:09:17

Yes, still wear them in hot weather. These days I buy men's Bermuda length with the side pockets, so if I'm popping into town I don't even need to take a handbag. No longer have the legs which used to be one of my best features, but hey, they still work and are just the right length to reach the ground, so they'll do for me.

Fairislecable Sat 27-May-23 16:10:14

I wear shorts in the house all year round as I am always on the warm side.

In the summer I wear them outside, they are knee length and so much better than trousers.

I am a generously proportioned tall woman and I have legs that still work, yes they are a bit veiny, but it doesn’t bother me.

Wear what you feel comfortable in.

Blossoming Sat 27-May-23 16:16:25

Yes I do, just above knee length and quite narrow legged.

62Granny Sat 27-May-23 16:22:35

I usually wear crop trousers, midway between ankle and knees and I wear lycra type short leggings under a dress sometimes but I have bought a pair of walking shorts this year they come just under my knees as I don't like the flabby bit just above the knee🙄

MrsKen33 Sat 27-May-23 16:23:37

I did until a few years ago until I hurt my knee whilst cycling and it has stayed swollen.
I wear ‘ankle grazers’ now.

Baggs Sat 27-May-23 16:26:08

I have one very old pair of shorts. I would like another pair in cotton or other breathable fabric. I've been looking online and am horrified at the prices.

Maybe I'll just chop some jeans off above the knee.

HeavenLeigh Sat 27-May-23 16:32:20

Nope never wear shorts think the last time I did I was about 16 and that was at school , I’ve never liked them

Visgir1 Sat 27-May-23 16:50:03

Mine come out in May.. Get put away in September,complete with flip flops. I don't care if anyone sees my big knee replacement scar, my legs are OK otherwise. I just love my shorts, most practical thing for me in the summer.
But never 3/4 length trousers,their definitely not for me.

Debbi58 Sat 27-May-23 16:53:04

Yup, still wear denim cut offs . My ankles have always been skinny, and I now have arthritis in both ankles and feet. Just don't like being hot , hubbie won't wear them though 😎

Wyllow3 Sat 27-May-23 16:57:50

Yes, only for garden or if out on a countryside walk where others dressed and no one looking hard at legs.

Legs still OK passable in sun, due to past yoga and swimming and being quite long, however its often easier to wear loose trousers to save on the sun lotion.

My shorts are a bit shorter than those Kandinsky tho and I must say they look very nice and maybe more suitable. providing elastic waist or part elastic. I won't wear anything now without an elastic waist - comfiness matters more than "style".

M0nica Sat 27-May-23 17:46:41

I am fortunate, at 80 I still have long slim legs and arms, and yes, I still wear shorts, quite short tailored navy ones. DD will let me know in no uncertain terms when I should stop.

I wear them on holiday, around the village and to casual local events and only when the temperature hits the high 70s (farenheit) and more.

CocoPops Sat 27-May-23 17:50:46

Yes. Cotton shorts with inside 7 inch seam and pockets every day weather permitting.

Theexwife Sat 27-May-23 18:10:07

No, I do not think old legs look good. I see a lot living on the coast and think they look awful but those wearing them will not know or care what I think.

Norah Sat 27-May-23 18:19:46

I'm slim, legs are lovely - I'm never warm enough for shorts.

My gorgeous husband lives in shorts from May through October and is never ever cold (or wouldn't admit such).

Shelflife Sat 27-May-23 18:35:26

Do wear them if you wish - would if I could! Legs not fit for public display!!!?

Millie22 Sat 27-May-23 18:44:07

Yes but only to do the garden. Children and teenagers look great in shorts.

3nanny6 Sat 27-May-23 18:47:05

No I have a few spidery veins and feel self conscious so prefer to keep legs covered, even though they are still a nice shape.

lixy Sat 27-May-23 18:53:57

Yes, I do wear shorts - old, long, linen ones from Seasalt that come to my knees. Very comfy they are too. My old pair are for indoors and in the garden but I did buy a new pair this year.
My legs? I have sturdy thighs and fat knees, shapely calves and slim ankles. Do I care what other people think? Not much!!

If you want to wear shorts then go for it regardless.

fancythat Sat 27-May-23 19:03:36

Yes. Wearing them right now.

Grammaretto Sat 27-May-23 19:23:16

It has to be hot. I wore them in France last year but I also have loose cotton below the knee trousers which I find more comfortable. Are these cropped?
I don't know the terminology.

Today at the fair in our town, young teenage girls were practically naked and grown old men in shorts.
Not many older women though.
What struck me was how many beer bellies and overweight people of all ages there were which made me rather sad .
It isn't healthy.

Chardy Sat 27-May-23 19:32:44

I live near the sea, so yes, I wear shorts just above the knee.
If I'm meeting up with friends, skirts (some of which are marginally longer than the shorts)

Bella23 Sat 27-May-23 19:33:11

I were linen or chino-type Bermuda shorts when abroad, at home 7/8 or capri. I also like straight linen skirts when I can get them.
My legs are fine from just above the knee downwards but I look like a lollypop on a stick with shorter shorts, no bottom but my tummy is so big.