Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Clothes spending

(213 Posts)
62Granny Fri 30-Jun-23 17:47:30

Following on from another thread, how much do you consider is a lot to spend on an everyday item of clothing?
I must admit I do shudder at spending loads on an item of clothing and anything over £30 for tops or bottoms or £50 for a dress ( I rarely buy or wear dresses) I will spend up to £100 for a good coat. I will look at items in sales usually online as I hate it when there are masses of clothes on rails all jumbled up.
I always think if you are spending £100 plus on one item then your shoes and bag also need to be of a very good quality too. But then I can't bring myself to wear that item as going to town or lunch type outfit.
Is it just me. I could afford it but something would hold me back.

Norah Sat 01-Jul-23 12:51:39

Kim19

Have to agree with Sarah72 in that I saw nothing spectacular in Schulmans look. I have it 'that's me out of bed' appearance. Absolutely fine but, oh so ordinary.

I felt the same - dog walking attire. To each their own.

On a thread of which dress to purchase - 2 of the dresses looked to be made for potato farmers to haul potatoes to market and the other, whist cut nicer was a dreadful print. Again, to each their own.

I prefer tailored, well fitting classics, cost is immaterial - they last.

Doodledog Sat 01-Jul-23 12:52:02

Lands End always have a sale on for something. I would never pay full price, as you just know that there will be 70% or more off very soon.

I like their pyjamas, but not at £60 a pair, or whatever they charge. I wait for the sales when they are £18 or so and buy several.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Jul-23 12:53:16

ronib

Wearing vintage clothes is fashionable too and have a coat bought secondhand for £50 which is about 50 years old. I think it is without doubt one of the most stylish midi coats ever. It’s good for going to art exhibitions.

DD waltzed off happily with a dress I bought over 40 years ago, I could scarcely afford it at the time but we were invited to a posh dinner.
Worn a couple of times since, no longer fitted but I couldn't bear to part with it. It fits her perfectly, she's happy and I'm happy it has a new lease of life 🙂

Norah Sat 01-Jul-23 12:54:02

Callistemon21

Land's End are good for basics, more for tops than trousers, for me anyway.

Land's End make nice t shirts, long enough not to un-tuck, slim enough to fit, not baggy. Wash and dry well, no silly ironing.

Norah Sat 01-Jul-23 12:56:20

Callistemon21

ronib

Wearing vintage clothes is fashionable too and have a coat bought secondhand for £50 which is about 50 years old. I think it is without doubt one of the most stylish midi coats ever. It’s good for going to art exhibitions.

DD waltzed off happily with a dress I bought over 40 years ago, I could scarcely afford it at the time but we were invited to a posh dinner.
Worn a couple of times since, no longer fitted but I couldn't bear to part with it. It fits her perfectly, she's happy and I'm happy it has a new lease of life 🙂

Our girls borrow my clothing often - great for wear per use.

BlueBelle Sat 01-Jul-23 12:59:50

What people who don’t have to worry about dosh forget is that even ‘names* like seasalt cotton traders etc etc with sales are expensive for many of us
I love Joe Brown stuff but only get it from charity shops as even their sales are (to me) expensive to go from £68 to £48 is a good drop but still too expensive for many
Anyways I like the hunt of a bargain

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Jul-23 13:00:11

I've just realised that the dress is older than DD 😁

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Jul-23 13:03:41

Cotton Traders clothes aren't that expensive for plain, everday basics.
What I'm wearing today and what some might call boring!

I do like a bargain too.

Doodledog Sat 01-Jul-23 13:06:54

BlueBelle

What people who don’t have to worry about dosh forget is that even ‘names* like seasalt cotton traders etc etc with sales are expensive for many of us
I love Joe Brown stuff but only get it from charity shops as even their sales are (to me) expensive to go from £68 to £48 is a good drop but still too expensive for many
Anyways I like the hunt of a bargain

Yes, I always think threads like this are divisive.

eddiecat78 Sat 01-Jul-23 13:09:48

I make most of my own clothes. I have some tried and tested patterns which I know suit me and fit well. This definitely isn't the cheap option - if I'm going to spend time making something I want it to be from good quality fabric.
My main extravagance is for really well fitting bras - and I'm not going to reveal how much I spend on them!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Jul-23 13:20:39

I buy Lands End black jersey trousers for exercise and round the house. As Doodledog said, they always have sales on.

Grammaretto Sat 01-Jul-23 13:24:07

Thanks for telling us about Otrium, Marydoll
It looks great.
I like sales too but even they are too dear most of the time.
I wish I could make my own. I have made things in the past but I'm better at children's clothes.

There was a girl at art school with me in the 1960s who used to run up a new pair of hipster flares about once a week.
She used curtain material or any scraps she could lay her hands on.
She had a hand sewing machine. I remember being so impressed by her and still am. She looked terrific.

Norah Sat 01-Jul-23 13:25:18

Our girls borrow my clothing often - great for wear per use.

Should be Cost Per Use.

I'm very frugal, appreciate good value for money spent.

PamelaJ1 Sat 01-Jul-23 13:27:43

I’ve often used eBay for. white Stuff, New without tags but not the outlet one. I had a look saw a frock I liked but it’s only available in size 22!

PamelaJ1 Sat 01-Jul-23 13:34:40

Just bought this and all because of you *Stacyann

Jaxjacky Sat 01-Jul-23 14:26:16

As long as I’m clean and tidy, warm or cool dependent on the weather, I shop when necessary, not for classics, nor for labels.
I try not to buy from companies who treat their staff badly and wait for when I actually need an item rather than on a whim.
As my days of corporate dinners, client facing and international travel for work are in the past I enjoy clothes shopping far less often.

Staceyann Sat 01-Jul-23 14:42:01

PamelaJ1

Just bought this and all because of you *Stacyann

I’m not on commission! Wish I was!

Poppyred Sat 01-Jul-23 15:23:21

Ah well..to me it looks like understated chic and I love it.

We are all different aren’t we.

vegansrock Sat 01-Jul-23 16:07:32

I have got some Prada, Balenciaga and Chanel in my wardrobe but I rarely wear any of it ( I worked in couture many moons ago so didn’t pay full price, but even then they were expensive) they are gorgeous fabrics and beautifully finished and I know I could sell them for a lot of money but I still enjoy looking at them and the occasional wear. I would make my own occasion outfits these days and I do still have a clothes collection , which I do cull now and again for the charity shop. I now mainly wear t shirts and jeans, occasionally a jumpsuit or a dress. I do still buy clothes but I avoid synthetics and throwaway garments. In other words, yes I do spend too much on clothes.

TerriBull Sat 01-Jul-23 17:50:30

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't wear dresses or skirts, I certainly did once in my working life but they seem to have fallen by the wayside for me.

I think I've reached the age of diminishing returns, insomuch I often look at various items of clothing and think to myself, "I've already got that several times over in different colours". I pretty much buy what I want, my last expensive item was a coat from Hobbs just before Christmas, I think it was about £180 in the sale, always in the sale it has to be, I hate paying the full price for anything! This new one is very similar to my last coat, which I love, very well worn that was bought in 2008, I think when high fashion ceases to be part of life, styles don't change that much.

I'll buy from Marks when they send a Sparks offer through, if I need whatever is in the category on offer. Crew Clothing always has a sale on, one of those that finish Friday and then start up again Monday, I've bought a few things there. I can't say I care too much about clothes these days, considering I used to be crazy about them. I like nice things, but no longer want a full on day of retail therapy. I pop into shops in my local town to see what's on offer a couple of times a week maybe, but generally don't spend that long in them. I'm lucky we have a John Lewis with a clothing dept., Marks, although I tend to order on line with them and pick it up in branch, Sea Salt, Fat Face, Crew, Mint Velvet, Jigsaw, Hobbs, The White Company and Next.

I used to be a handbag person, and in spite of having some nice handbags, including a Mulberry, I can't be bothered changing all the contents over. I've been using an across the body small Radley bag for ages now, just big enough to contain the essentials, phone, wallet, keys and a lipstick.

Grammaretto Sat 01-Jul-23 17:58:33

Unfortunately I have moths in my wardrobe who have no respect for designer labels.
I knit sweaters for me and DD - we like wool. The DGC don't like itchy wool.
I love summer dresses but here in Scotland the days when I can wear them are few and far between. sad

I shall be packing for the Isle of Skye in mid July . All from the outdoor shop apart from a brave swimsuit and something to wear at the ceilidh.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Jul-23 18:03:27

Last time I wore a dress or heels - son’s wedding a good many years ago. After a lifetime of skirt suits and dresses for work, it’s trousers only.

Sara1954 Sat 01-Jul-23 22:00:23

I always wear skirts or dresses, even at work where everyone wears jeans and company polos, I wear pretty dresses.
I wore jeans in my youth, but not for years, and I’ve never owned a pair of trainers, I just wear what makes me feel best, and I’m not bothered whether anyone likes it or not.

Doodledog Sat 01-Jul-23 22:05:10

I like dresses, as you just put one on and that's it - no need to match things up. I have lots of them, although many are informal ones that I layer up or down depending on the season.

Sara1954 Sat 01-Jul-23 22:27:47

Doodledog
I agree, just slip on a cool floaty dress, a pair of flip flops, and your done.