Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Nail strengthening

(63 Posts)
Noname Wed 05-Jul-23 11:21:27

Hi all! I’m sorry if this has been asked before (I did search!) but can anyone recommend a product to strengthen nails please. I have a healthy and balanced diet but due to my work (hands constantly in water), my nails are weak 😫

Dee1012 Wed 05-Jul-23 11:28:08

I have used Nail Tek in the past and found that pretty effective.

Gillycats Wed 05-Jul-23 11:56:05

I take Healthspan’s Hair and Nails supplement. And wear rubber gloves!
www.healthspan.co.uk/replenish-hair-and-nail-50-plus/

aggie Wed 05-Jul-23 11:59:32

Take vitamin D

Yangste1007 Wed 05-Jul-23 12:01:46

Nailtiques No 2

LadyGracie Wed 05-Jul-23 14:24:56

Nail Envy, nail strengthener for sensitive and peeling nails, by OPI.
It works for me, my nails always suffer as a result of gardening even wearing gloves.

lixy Wed 05-Jul-23 14:28:34

Vaseline Intensive Care has helped my nails get stronger in the past and is not too expensive.
Also, as said above, wear gloves if you possibly can.

Norah Wed 05-Jul-23 14:34:36

I use 'Dior Huile Abricot Daily Nutritive Nail and Cuticle Serum' - rubs in with my fingers, to keep my nails healthy.

Norah Wed 05-Jul-23 14:35:32

And as others note. I wear gloves in the gardens.

Casdon Wed 05-Jul-23 14:37:07

For years I’ve used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, I spend hours in the garden and my nails don’t break or split. It looks like clear nail varnish on, so it physically protects your nails from drying out as well as strengthening them.

AskAlice Wed 05-Jul-23 16:23:01

Watching this with interest as I hate wearing gloves whilst gardening - I can't for the life of me thin seedlings or plant little plants in my veg patch with gloves on, even the thin cotton ones!

Oreo Wed 05-Jul-23 16:26:47

The Sally Hansen one did nothing for me, but the Rimmel one, Nail Nurse? Seems to work. Clear slightly pale pink.

V3ra Wed 05-Jul-23 16:33:12

Gillycats

I take Healthspan’s Hair and Nails supplement. And wear rubber gloves!
www.healthspan.co.uk/replenish-hair-and-nail-50-plus/

Another vote for this product. It's taken three months to really show an improvement but I'm very impressed 👍

MayBee70 Wed 05-Jul-23 16:39:51

I’ve always worn rubber gloves as I get eczema. But when I hit the menopause the strong nails that I always had just started to crumble and disintegrate. I still look at them in horror. I think their previous strength has gone southwards and ended up in my toenails…

Auntieflo Wed 05-Jul-23 17:15:59

Also following with interest.
I take a Skin, Hair and Nails capsule, when I remember, but since taking Palbocyclib tablets for Chemo treatment, my nails have developed ridges and are flaky.
It does help a bit when I massage Bees hand cream into them.

dogsmother Wed 05-Jul-23 19:41:02

I’m taking a collagen supplement for this. Many months or persistent effort!
I had gone with pretty much everything else mentioned. But this seems to be finally paying off.

Sparklefizz Wed 05-Jul-23 20:00:41

Collagen supplement and always wearing rubber gloves.

Blondiescot Wed 05-Jul-23 20:06:16

OPI Nail Envy did the trick for me. And now I use Solar Oil to keep them that way.

MayBee70 Wed 05-Jul-23 20:09:06

Blondiescot

OPI Nail Envy did the trick for me. And now I use Solar Oil to keep them that way.

I’ve seen that Opi stuff advertised on Facebook and thought about getting some. It’s the ridges on my nails that cause the problem.

Casdon Wed 05-Jul-23 20:11:58

I found this which might help, a review carried out in May by Good Housekeeping - many of those we use are included, and some others. The Opi one looks good Blondiscot.
www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/product-reviews/fashion-and-beauty/g28856360/best-nail-strengtheners/

Noname Thu 06-Jul-23 08:36:07

Thank you all for your suggestions! I’m off to read a few reviews 👍

BigBertha1 Thu 06-Jul-23 08:41:19

I think the key is wear gloves whenever you can, wash hands well but apply hand cream regularly. My nails have improved since having nails done regularly with 'builder' as a near base coat but if you can't have that (I couldn't for years as a nurse and longing for a manicure). Eating well of course is important not sure if the jelly thing works but if you like jelly why not.

JackyB Thu 06-Jul-23 08:42:14

I've been taking vitamin D for over 3 years and have only just (literally since last week) developed nails that actually grow. For the first time in my life they have stopped splitting and, if they have grown to any length, have always broken at the slightest tap (e.g. on the dashboard when I go to grab the steering wheel.) I have even had to cut them! For all my life, I have worn gloves and spent a fortune on all sorts of creams, oils, powders, buffers and varnishes to try and protect them, but to no avail.

I now have to wait until September to see if they don't break off, split and just erode down to the quick.

The sun and vitamin D therefore seem to be the only answer, but it takes time. Best start now with the supplements and/or move to the Canary Islands.

absent Thu 06-Jul-23 08:47:35

Try vitamin B7.

ANMI52 Sat 08-Jul-23 11:25:53

Reading with interest. Always had good nails but along with my hair, old age has taken its toll! I’ve tried loads of treatments, always wear gloves, but to no avail. Will investigate suggestions here though. Thanks