Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

False eyelashes!

(66 Posts)
Fleurpepper Fri 08-Sep-23 14:46:48

So many of them just look totally ridiculous and out of proportion. Why do young women think they are attractive?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 08-Sep-23 14:56:35

You didn’t wear them in the 60s then.

Redhead56 Fri 08-Sep-23 14:58:12

The slug like eyebrows don't help either.

Jodieb Fri 08-Sep-23 14:59:31

I agree they are over the top. When I used to wear Eyelure I always trimmed them first. I recall a boyfriend saying you don't need those. So, I peeled them off and he agreed they did make a difference!

Fleurpepper Fri 08-Sep-23 15:04:27

Redhead56

The slug like eyebrows don't help either.

the combo is awful + the hugely long false nails - yyyiiikkkeeessss

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 08-Sep-23 15:08:38

I agree, ghastly.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Sep-23 15:08:40

Having worn some clothes and makeup over the years that the elder generation probably didn’t approve of, I tend to not pass judgement on what others like to wear whether it be clothes, nails or makeup trends.

Their bodies, their choices.

Juliet27 Fri 08-Sep-23 15:09:19

Not to mention the overplumped pouting lips!

Poppyred Fri 08-Sep-23 15:10:35

Yes, and the longer they are the more ridiculous they look.

Fleurpepper Fri 08-Sep-23 15:15:35

Juliet27

Ah yes !

GrannyGravy- there is something to be said for this- sure.
But the point is, it is not attractive- but worse, it puts huge pressure on other young women to do so- at huge cost, and sometimes, even danger (lips and other enhancements). Wearing those nails constantly is a health risk- and not sure about effect on eyes long term to wearing magnetic paint to hold eyelashes in place, for instance.

MerylStreep Fri 08-Sep-23 15:19:48

GrannyGravy13

Having worn some clothes and makeup over the years that the elder generation probably didn’t approve of, I tend to not pass judgement on what others like to wear whether it be clothes, nails or makeup trends.

Their bodies, their choices.

😂👏👏👏

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Sep-23 15:21:36

Fleurpepper

Juliet27

Ah yes !

But the point is, it is not attractive- but worse, it puts huge pressure on other young women to do so- at huge cost, and sometimes, even danger (lips and other enhancements). Wearing those nails constantly is a health risk- and not sure about effect on eyes long term to wearing magnetic paint to hold eyelashes in place, for instance.

I think there’s has always been pressure on females, normally from other females.

Back in the day arsenic was used as skin cream.

We all make choices whether or not to conform with the current trends

Sassanach512 Fri 08-Sep-23 15:27:00

I agree about the pouting lips Juliet27 ridiculous. The other day, when he saw an overinflated lipped girl on tv, my OH said "you could stick her on a window and she'd stay there"

But what's with the 'booty' implants?? who in her right mind wants to inflate her backside? I do my best to cover my generous bottom up confused

SachaMac Fri 08-Sep-23 15:55:43

There should be some rules about long painted finger nails in certain settings, especially anywhere involving prepping or serving food or doing any form of personal care, including nursery workers etc. Not only are they ugly but they’re also unhygienic and dangerous even when gloves are worn.

I can’t stand those really long claw like nails, you do wonder how people do any work or even manage to get washed and dressed in a morning with those things on!

Calendargirl Fri 08-Sep-23 16:02:03

I’m going to be unpopular, but I dislike seeing older ladies with coloured acrylic nails. Well, I assume they are acrylic or gel or similar, because I’m not into anything like that. When I say ‘coloured’ I mean a lurid blue or green.

To me, they are ageing and I think they look what my mum would have described as ‘common’.

(I am aware that last ‘c’ word is frowned upon nowadays).

Romola Fri 08-Sep-23 16:06:23

I've got hardly any eyelashes now. They were never very good, so I used to wear false ones. I think I ripped out what little eyelashes I had when taking off the false ones. Oh well, I'm not goung to start again, my wrinkly eyelids can't cope. I suppose that's the least of my problems.

Fleurpepper Fri 08-Sep-23 17:47:23

GrannyGravy13

Fleurpepper

Juliet27

Ah yes !

I think there’s has always been pressure on females, normally from other females.

Back in the day arsenic was used as skin cream.

We all make choices whether or not to conform with the current trends

I wish- but I truly believe young women, teenagers too and even below teenage, are bombarded in a way we never were. And some find it very difficult to make choices or to conform- body dysmorphia and eating disorders are massive issues- which never existed when I was a teenager (60s)

MayBee70 Fri 08-Sep-23 23:40:08

I had body dysmorphia and eating disorders in the sixties. It’s just that it wasn’t recognised back then and I thought I was the only person suffering from it. I dread to think what I’d be like if I was a teenager now sad. Even more pressure.

MerylStreep Sat 09-Sep-23 07:33:54

SachaMac

There should be some rules about long painted finger nails in certain settings, especially anywhere involving prepping or serving food or doing any form of personal care, including nursery workers etc. Not only are they ugly but they’re also unhygienic and dangerous even when gloves are worn.

I can’t stand those really long claw like nails, you do wonder how people do any work or even manage to get washed and dressed in a morning with those things on!

Do you seriously think that those nails would be allowed in the places you mention ?
They’re not!!!

Visgir1 Sat 09-Sep-23 07:42:49

My very close friend is a Senior Nurse on a ENT ward.
They have young women coming in as day cases for Urgent Dental work, it drives her mad, that a significant number come on with large false eyelashes, enhanced lips and eyebrows, beautifully manicured gelled nails, but they wouldn't spend the money at least once a year to see a Dentist.

TerriBull Sat 09-Sep-23 07:52:30

I wore them as a teenager, possibly into my early twenties, not all the time, I had quite long lustrous eye lashes of my own back then, where the hell have they gone?, sad sparse is how I'd describe them now, never mind my hair is still thick, thank you for that God at least, particularly as a friend told me hers is thinning. Far less make up these days generally, I remember seeing a very elderly Barbara Cartland appear on television years ago, made up to the nines, loads of slap on her face, vivid eye shadow and false eyelashes, she still looked about a 100, yes less is definitely more at certain stages of life!

dragonfly46 Sat 09-Sep-23 07:59:20

Gosh how judgmental you all sound. Each to their own I say.

MerylStreep Sat 09-Sep-23 08:32:54

Dragonfly46
With respect, not all of us

dragonfly46 Sat 09-Sep-23 08:41:35

No sorry Meryl I realise that and agree with the dissenters.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Sep-23 09:09:34

How would those mocking young women for their choices feel if they were being constantly judged for how they look and dress in their twilight years?