Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Anyone tried microneedling to stimulate new cells and reduce wrinkles

(39 Posts)
sandelf Wed 04-Oct-23 12:28:47

Just that - been reading about it - sounds good but does it work?

AreWeThereYet Wed 04-Oct-23 13:05:59

No, sorry, but I have been finding out about it just from curiosity because I didn't know what it was. There are some interesting YouTube videos about it by cosmetic surgeons who agree that the science is sound, but also that you need to know what you are doing because you can cause some major damage to your face and body.

Allsorts Thu 05-Oct-23 07:26:08

Have a horror of having anything done, I live with the odd wrinkle, hate my neck but wouldn't have a face lift or anything, heard so many tales of things going wrong. I have considered a wimple, that might help me. Look what happened to Lesley Ash and her lips, no money makes up for that, everywhere now it seems normal to have a mouth like a duck. My grandsons, say it's a turn off but the girls want them. Glad normal eye brows are back, shame for those that had them tattooed on though.

BigBertha1 Thu 05-Oct-23 09:36:08

I see Trinny Woodall is now selling a home microneedling tool. It is a much finer needle than one would find in a salon but it might be a way of trying it out - I am tempted.

Mrsluckhurst Thu 05-Oct-23 12:15:41

I would never have dreamt of having anything like this done but a friend of mine started her own business and as she was also a qualified health professional and had taken lots of reputable courses I found myself tempted. It made a real difference to my skin, she was very gentle, there was some initial redness which disappeared after a couple of hours but it was never sore. I had to wear high factor sun screen for about 3 days for protection and it was 4 sessions with a month in between. I noticed a difference myself and was amazed when other people commented too. It didn't remove my wrinkles but it just made my skin look and feel much smoother and softer. I'm not sure I wouldn't have gone into a random salon but as it was my friend and I totally trusted her I gave it a go. I would definitely go for another course but never botox or fillers etc. My friend was horrified by some of the others who had had just a few hours training and then were let loose with needles on people's faces! I think there has been talk of stricter regulations which is probably a good thing.

Mrsluckhurst Thu 05-Oct-23 12:43:53

Sorry, I'm not sure I would** have gone

Mallin Thu 05-Oct-23 13:00:38

I have a needle in my eye every 4 weeks to encourage renewal.

Shinamae Thu 05-Oct-23 13:02:03

Yes I have having it done at present. Can’t stop now because I’m off to work but will fill in the details later.

dogsmother Thu 05-Oct-23 13:18:15

No, I’ve white stripes in my hair but have a good cut.
I moisturise and wear minimal make up. I try very hard to walk tall and proud and avoid mirrors.

sandelf Thu 05-Oct-23 14:15:22

Interesting to hear your comments Mrsluckhurst. If I go for it I'll have it done by an experienced lady who has her own business after working in salons and qualifying well. She did IPL on some pigmentation marks and broken veins and it has really improved them, so I have faith in the quality of her work.

karmalady Thu 05-Oct-23 14:24:01

I believe it comes under aesthetics, lots of short courses available and spun on youtube on how aesthetics is a big money spinner. I know someone, qualified health, however she has become addicted to making money from people who are not very self confident and in process, these clients become ensnared.

Her health qualification now means nothing much as she appears to all and sundry as a beautician, which will one day come back to bite her in the backside. Regulation is on its way

Personally no way, I am happy in my skin and have earned my face and my laughter lines

Abitbarmy Thu 05-Oct-23 14:34:18

I had it done by a well qualified practitioner at a well known salon. Didn’t make a hape’th of difference but emptied my purse somewhat. Wouldn’t bother again.

Dollymixtures Thu 05-Oct-23 19:36:24

Trinny’s micro needling tool costs £44 and you have to change the top every 24 uses and the serum is quite expensive. Apparently, such things are available much cheaper on Amazon and other sites. I don’t fancy doing it myself on my ageing thin skin!

deedeedum Sun 08-Oct-23 11:24:36

Have just had my first treatment so have no idea yet as to the results. However, I would advise anyone considering this treatment to use a professional. Anything that punctures the skin is open to infection so there is a great need to pay attention to after care.

AngelChris Sun 08-Oct-23 11:37:39

It is possible to do it yourself but you do need to buy a good make. I have been doing it myself for a number of years but I also use Environ face creams which I buy online from Face the Future.

I am 75, I exercise regularly and have an excellent diet (Zoe nutrition) but the micro needling is in addition to all that. Most people can’t believe my age as I have no wrinkles - but - it could just be genetics. Who knows? If anyone doesn’t look after themselves re diet and exercise, micro needling is not going to make much difference. I hope this helps.

midgey Sun 08-Oct-23 11:39:37

I earned these wrinkles. Or as my granddaughter called them… cracks!

annifrance Sun 08-Oct-23 11:42:10

Quite agree dogsmother. It's called growing old gracefully.

I laughed like a drain when a gatro enterologist on discoverying my husband was 15 years younger, suggested this micro needle thing. I just laughed and told her I was English.

Husband has now left me for a younger woman. Still find it funny and oh the joys of living alone, except when the Gendarme call to protect me.

hollysteers Sun 08-Oct-23 11:44:32

Wouldn’t bother with it. Botox suits me and certainly does the job👍

hollysteers Sun 08-Oct-23 11:45:10

And Trinny looks overtreated, no thanks,

Shinamae Sun 08-Oct-23 11:57:15

Shinamae

Yes I have having it done at present. Can’t stop now because I’m off to work but will fill in the details later.

I have had treatments now three times and I can definitely see a difference. The girl is very well trained practitioner and I am quite happy with the results.
Personally, I would never have anything injected into my skin, Botox, fillers, etc, but each to their own…

GardenofEngland Sun 08-Oct-23 11:57:50

I have it every 6 months after a nucleoskin injection session, mainly to use up the excess serum as it is quite a big amount compared to profhilo. It stings and my skin is red but it is fine after a few hours. I'm happy with the results and although quite expensive it's only twice a year.

sandelf Sun 08-Oct-23 12:07:20

Thank you Angel Chris - I'll read F the Future site and Environ.

madeleine45 Sun 08-Oct-23 12:54:08

As I have a chunk out of my leg where a needle broke (wouldnt happen with todays needles) so am a needle phobic, and have enough problem dealing with necessary needles. But in any case my attitude is that I am as you find me. I am clean and my clothes are clean and ironed. My hair is white and will stay that way. As a pensioner have very little spare money and what I have goes on music, looking at art, going for a walk etc. I have had people comment on how good my skin is, but dont really care and I think I would rather spend my time and money of these things than doing anything to myself. Each to their own, as they say. So long as you are doing things to make your own life better and not being shoved into things by other people or the wretched internet!!

Mojack26 Sun 08-Oct-23 12:55:53

I'm with you...not a chance that I will try anything...Luckily inherited good supple skin. At 68 no wrinkles yet, my skin is still firm🙏🙏

BlueBelle Sun 08-Oct-23 13:08:10

No never I think we should be proud of where we ve got to
I m not vain enough to want to look like a young person I think Carol vordeman looks uniquely awful don’t know what she has done but I ve yet to see an older person looking good with whatever treatment they are having, look at Pricilla Presley and others
Be proud of what you ve got and enjoy it