Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A new look

(54 Posts)
Kiwiqueen123 Mon 23-Oct-23 09:01:51

Just had both cataracts removed and its such a shock to look in the mirror! I've got fantastic vision now and can see every line and wrinkle on my face. I need new makeup. I've been using Boots No.7 for years, Restore and Renew day cream and Lift and Luminate triple action foundation, a not very effective blusher (I need something as my skin is very pale). I need to start all over again. Happy to spend a bit more on something that works, gives me a bit of colour, diminishes the wrinkles if only slightly and a good blusher, Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations. I'm a bit reluctant to go to a beauty counter as I always end up being sold something which doesn't really do the trick so any tips would be great.

Aldom Mon 23-Oct-23 09:13:33

Good to know your cataract operation was successful. I'll watch this thread with interest, as I could do with new ideas for make up. smile

Aveline Mon 23-Oct-23 09:16:06

Kiwiqueen snap! My face is horrific. Obviously, my glasses used to fit nicely into my undereye bags. However, I've decided to chuck out all my old make up and start again. I've mentioned to the family that with my birthday and Christmas coming up Boots vouchers or facials would be welcome (to start me off). It's quite exciting really once I'd got over the shock of seeing myself clearly.

Primrose53 Mon 23-Oct-23 09:19:21

I found a company called Look Fabulous Forever which is aimed at 60+ women. I spent about £80 on 4 items and got a discount.

I sent two items back but kept a lipstick and primer and they are lovely. The things I sent back were an eyebrow pencil/brush and a highlighter pen because I saw very similar ones for about a third of that price.

MacCavity2 Mon 23-Oct-23 09:38:41

Had cataract’s removed a few months ago. Shocked at the colour lipstick I’ve been wearing. Lines and wrinkles so deep. Mostly the colour of my hair made my skin look like a freshly dug pharo.
Going to let the gray/silver grow out to make my skin look a better colour. Getting highlights to blend in.
Delighted with my new clear sight.

Lilymae Tue 24-Oct-23 14:57:25

Another vote for Look Fabulous Forever
Their skincare range is good as well as their make up
Lots of tips and videos too .

MerylStreep Tue 24-Oct-23 14:59:57

If you have a daughter take her with you to a beauty counter.

hazel93 Tue 24-Oct-23 15:01:54

Me too, LFF is very good. Do not love the whole range but use several items.

Aveline Fri 27-Oct-23 09:42:20

I have problem. DH suggested that I consult the Grans. I'm having cataract surgery on both eyes. First one done and v successful. Next eye next week. The problem is - how can I put on eye make up (sometime in the future of course) when I'll need reading glasses to see what I'm doing? Both eyes are having distance lenses so near vision extremely blurry. Any ideas?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Oct-23 09:48:22

You can get specs where the lenses fold down so you can have one lens up to look through while you put makeup on the eye whose lens is folded down iyswim. I’ve had a pair for donkeys years, which I use when I have put contact lenses in before doing makeup. I got them online. A bit like these
www.amazon.co.uk/Glasses-Folding-Rotatable-Magnifying-Cosmetic/dp/B0C9DCW1XL/ref=asc_df_B0C9DCW1XL/?hvlocphy=9044867&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&psc=1&hvnetw=g&hvadid=658864623257&hvpone&hvlocint&hvpos&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-2200634176686&hvrand=8488046075834972949

Aveline Fri 27-Oct-23 10:14:14

Ooh thanks. They sound just the thing. Will check out that link.

DellaandtgeDealer Fri 27-Oct-23 11:21:06

I like some of LFF too, their skin primer is lovely but not cheap. Their mascara is the best I have ever used, it is actually smudge proof. I wasn’t so keen on the blusher though,
prefer Clinique.

avitorl Fri 27-Oct-23 11:34:02

I really like Nars Blusher.The shade I use may make you blush,as it's Orgasm!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Oct-23 11:39:11

I like LFF face primer (I don’t wear foundation) and mascara too, also their lipstick on the rare occasions I wear it and their serum and moisturisers (pricey but good). For eyeliner I like Hourglass eye pencil. All cruelty free. My blusher is a years old Clinique one which refuses to run out!

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 27-Oct-23 11:50:15

Hi there Kiwi
Have you thought about using a Facial tan although I do use Foundation with it. .Shop around for this one but I love it and use it each day 🙂

Dempie55 Fri 27-Oct-23 11:51:20

Charlotte Tilbury foundation looks very natural if you find the right shade for your skin. I also like Laura Geller (on QVC).

Dee1012 Fri 27-Oct-23 12:04:41

I'd opt for - Nars The Multiple Cream Blush, Lip, and Eye Stick, I'm quite fair and use the shade Maui.

As it says, it works to add eye and lip colour too!

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-Oct-23 12:20:48

I don't usually wear makeup but have just discovered Charlotte Tilbury as felt I needed "something " for a wedding..
I've been on the CT website where you can "virtually" try-out lots of makeup on the image of your face.

I had my makeup done for me by someone who knew what she was doing for the wedding - but it looked fantastic so it obviously IS possible grin. I have since worn the lipstick, the mascara and the sort-of tinted face cream which has something reflective in it.
All easy and feels like I'm not wearing it.
I ordered directly from CT and was sent samples to try.

You may find an introductory offer code too if you look..

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-Oct-23 12:22:11

PS.. it was nice trying on lots of lipstick colours I'd never wear!

grin

I'm sure other brands do this virtual make-up thing.

tinad42 Fri 27-Oct-23 12:46:41

I’ve been using the No.7 restore and renew regime for 6 months now and have been very pleased with the results. Around the eyes is smoother, skin brighter and tighter. Well worth the effort. Just wish they made a shower gel for the rest of my body 😂

J52 Fri 27-Oct-23 12:55:32

I’m a Clarins fan, you can book a consultation if you have a beauty counter near you.
I’m currently using the Tinted Oleo Serum, which is lovey and light and leaves your skin feeling like silk.

4allweknow Fri 27-Oct-23 13:08:01

Since having cataract removed it's grest to have good long vision. However the not being able to read close-up without glasses now is so frustrating. Constantly having to reach or find the cheap off the shelf pair to see basic items and text clearly is driving me mad. See optician in 2 weeks for check up and test for new glasses. Discovering I had puffy bags under my eyes was a bit of a shock!

Primrose53 Fri 27-Oct-23 13:31:33

You don’t realise how your skin ages until you are next to a teenager.

The assistant who served me in Tesco this week had flawless skin, perfect eyebrows and just looked stunning. If she had makeup on it was very light and it’s a long time since I looked like that.

Aveline Fri 27-Oct-23 14:22:09

4allweknow the bags under my eyes are awful. Obviously, my glasses used to fit neatly into them. I've started to try to improve my skin and once my other eye is done and all healed etc I'll have a go at eye make up. Probably a mask will be best. Halloween all year for me?

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-Oct-23 14:52:44

Charlotte Tilbury has the "leaping bunny" in case you're interested.