Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Stylish Rucksack to help RA pain?

(47 Posts)
Meme60 Mon 23-Oct-23 10:23:57

I have rheumatoid arthritis and am thinking of getting a "handbag rucksack" as I find a shoulder or cross body handbag is giving me a lot of pain if I carry it for a long time. I would like a stylish "not too big" rucksack preferably in leather. Anyone got any experience or comments on whether a rucksack is a good alternative to a handbag to relieve shoulder/arm pain?

Sago Mon 23-Oct-23 10:32:25

A leather rucksack will be quite heavy, look at the Pilage by Longchamp, I have one for travel as they fold up to a small neat envelope and can fit into a handbag or suitcase easily, they are really light and stylish, well worth the money.
There are cheaper copies available.

RosiesMaw Mon 23-Oct-23 10:32:29

Just one observation from my own experience as I have both crossbody bags and “backpack” styles.
I have always bought leather but also realise that other materials can be every bit as strong and stylish but are often, considerably lighter.
Good luck with the hint!

RosiesMaw Mon 23-Oct-23 10:33:23

Crossed posts - or great minds think alike!

aggie Mon 23-Oct-23 10:35:07

I tried a rucksack type of hand bag , it didn’t suit me at all
Every time I wanted to get my purse , phone , tissue , I had to haul it off and on , not too bad in good weather and wearing light clothes , but harder with my big coat on
I just went back to a very lightweight cross body bag
I didn’t feel it was very safe in crowds , too easy for a stranger to access

LucyAnna Mon 23-Oct-23 10:55:53

rokalondon.com/
I think Roka bags look quite cool. Certainly plenty of colour and size choices. My DIL has had one for a while and loves it.

RosiesMaw Mon 23-Oct-23 11:31:34

I agree with Aggie - and have used a backpack style for going on holiday where I did not often need easy access to the contents, but maximum capacity, then changed over to a smaller lightweight crossbody- with passport, purse, tissues, phone - for daily use.
I also no longer use a backpack one when I go to London as I need easy access to my travel card/bus pass without opening the whole bag.
For me the solution was to drastically pare down what I carry on a daily basis and take an additional (usually linen) bag if I am on a day out requiring bottle of water, umbrella, ipad or paperback.
It’s taken a while to wean myself off a full (and /or heavy) bag and I miss much-loved bags of the past such as my Cambridge satchel cross body simply because, even empty, , it weighed a ton!

lixy Mon 23-Oct-23 11:36:27

I notice that many people wear shoulder rucksacks back to front, with the bag on their chest rather than on their back. I guess this makes it easier to get things in and out.

I use Fjallraven bags, both a small one for day trips and a bigger one for overnight stays. They have lasted for ages and serve me very well.

Good luck with your search,

rosie1959 Mon 23-Oct-23 11:39:15

I get shoulder pain from carrying a bag. I have a Radley leather backpack which helps considerably. They have a nice collection.
I use a Seasalt canvass one in navy in the summer my DH can carry it without looking daft.

Mamie Mon 23-Oct-23 11:40:39

I have the Longchamps one in the picture and I love it. I have bought a handbag tidy with lots of pockets to make finding stuff easier.

MerylStreep Mon 23-Oct-23 11:43:30

lixy

I notice that many people wear shoulder rucksacks back to front, with the bag on their chest rather than on their back. I guess this makes it easier to get things in and out.

I use Fjallraven bags, both a small one for day trips and a bigger one for overnight stays. They have lasted for ages and serve me very well.

Good luck with your search,

That way of carrying the bag is also a deterrent to pickpockets.

Joseann Mon 23-Oct-23 11:57:27

Interesting thread.
The best rucksack I had a few years back was a changing bag type one in a durable plain fabric from Silver Cross I think. Everything was so easily accessible in pockets when I needed to have hands free for DGC on the tube etc.
The Longchamp one looks nice. Thanks.

paddyann54 Mon 23-Oct-23 12:00:21

Not leather but I .used to buy my MIL Kipling bags .They are lightweight have multiple pockets and she has some that were small enough to wear under her jacket .She has spondilitis so anything heavy was no use ,she had them in a variety of colours

Marydoll Mon 23-Oct-23 12:40:10

I have RA and have given up on anything leather, far too heavy.
The few backpacks I had were a pain to get off and I would get flustered. I once left my purse in a shop, not realising I hadn't put it back in backpack.

Kipling cross body bags are light and come in all shapes and sizes.sizes.

Nannarose Mon 23-Oct-23 13:55:13

I use a backbag, can't do the link at the moment, but you will see if you Google them that they are a really good alternative. They make a lot of difference to me.

DamaskRose Mon 23-Oct-23 14:07:10

RosiesMaw

I agree with Aggie - and have used a backpack style for going on holiday where I did not often need easy access to the contents, but maximum capacity, then changed over to a smaller lightweight crossbody- with passport, purse, tissues, phone - for daily use.
I also no longer use a backpack one when I go to London as I need easy access to my travel card/bus pass without opening the whole bag.
For me the solution was to drastically pare down what I carry on a daily basis and take an additional (usually linen) bag if I am on a day out requiring bottle of water, umbrella, ipad or paperback.
It’s taken a while to wean myself off a full (and /or heavy) bag and I miss much-loved bags of the past such as my Cambridge satchel cross body simply because, even empty, , it weighed a ton!

I absolutely agree with every word of this, I have had exactly this experience much as I love my (expensive) leather rucksack and cross body bags they just aren’t practical. I’ve, reluctantly, gone down Maw’s route …

ExDancer Mon 23-Oct-23 14:35:26

I had one and used it a lot.
One day I got on the tube (London Underground) and couldn't find a handhold, the train was very crowded.
We set off with an almighty jolt and I fell over backwards, and broke my back.
The break is at the exect place where the little rucksac ended. Two years later I am still taking morphine for never ending pain in my spine.
Please be careful. I wasn't in the habit of falling and considered myself very fit, but now I'm crippled for the rest of my life.

Meme60 Mon 23-Oct-23 14:52:08

Thanks all for your comments.
I can see that taking off a rucksack every time you need purse, phone etc would be pain.
I get on well with crossbody bag except for the drag on my shoulder. Maybe a lighter crossbody instead of leather might be the answer!
As an FYI (in my research) there a quite a few anti theft rucksacks on the market

Lilymae Tue 24-Oct-23 14:28:32

Have a look at Healthy Back bags
Lots of pockets and light to carry

Nannarose Tue 24-Oct-23 15:26:37

That's it! Healthy back bags!

AreWeThereYet Tue 24-Oct-23 15:37:45

What about a cross body sling bag? You can get them in lightweight, waterproof materials. Basically like a small rucksack that fits on your chest instead of your back.

Like this: (sorry, long link to Amazon)

www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-CHIC-Lightweight-Crossbody-Cockerpoos/dp/B0BTPLN1Q3/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?psc=1&keywords=Crossbody+Backpack&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1698158105&sr=8-3-spons

Primrose53 Tue 24-Oct-23 16:46:52

I was just about to recommend bags shaped like a tear drop. They are indeed Healthy Back bags.

Cid24 Wed 25-Oct-23 11:27:06

Spirit do nice backpacks, and there’s a press stud at the top which is covered so I feel quite secure from pick pockets. It’s not too big but holds loads! And is light , comes in several colours too.

JdotJ Wed 25-Oct-23 11:42:21

A busy shop I went into at King's Cross Station was asking everyone to swap their backpacks to their front, as things get knocked off shelves by backpacks everywhere. Seemed to work well.
A small lightweight back pack used across the front could work well

Jannipans Wed 25-Oct-23 11:42:42

I have a Radley backpack made of fabric. It's very light, and stylish ... I just don't like rucksacks so I have never used it, but something similar would probably fit the bill for what you are looking for.