Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Updos/putting hair up...

(12 Posts)
Curling Fri 27-Oct-23 19:04:59

What updos do you wish suited you or you wished you could do well?

My mum's cousin always had her hair in a perfect, tight French pleat/French twist, done properly. A hair was never out of place.

I still wish I could do my hair like that.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Oct-23 19:14:22

Until I had my hair cut 7 weeks ago, a messy french pleat was my go to can’t be bothered hair style

seadragon Fri 27-Oct-23 19:17:53

I've not had a hair cut since before the pandemic started. I can now achieve a variety of quirky top knots with a single metal beak shaped clasp. The problem I've had, though, is the dearth of these metal clasps. Plastic and wood just slips out. Our local Boots must have found a box on the back of a shelf earlier this year so I bought 4 which will probably 'see me out'....I would love to be able to do a French pleat. I had it done at a hairdresser years ago, once, but the chap had to get 3 of his colleagues to help and I looked like an alien when they had finished it was so tight....ruining a special evening out....

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-Oct-23 19:26:56

You really need good bone structure, no jowls and a good tight neck.

Oreo Fri 27-Oct-23 19:46:33

I wish I could do more up styles with mine, but it seems to slip out too easily.I just scrape it back for work in a messy bun type thing.

Serendipity22 Fri 27-Oct-23 19:56:52

I have shoulder length hair and I have 1 of those 'messy buns' to pile on top of my head ( when i've scooped my own hair up of course ) When I was wearing it 1 day, a total stranger ( lady walking past ) said "I like your hair." THAT was all thanks to my 'messy bun.'

Primrose53 Fri 27-Oct-23 20:02:15

I have messy buns. If I have it too flat and tight with just a bun on top I look like a ballerina …… apart from the body! 🤣🤣

I have loads of clips and hair bits including chopsticks and a beautiful solid silver spike which I bought in Ibiza years ago.

Joseann Fri 27-Oct-23 20:33:51

My hair is sleek flat and slippery so I can't get it to do a messy bun. I use barrette hair grips and twirl the hair round 360° before inserting it. I like updos with polo necks.

Callistemon21 Fri 27-Oct-23 20:36:23

I've just had mine cut shorter, (it was a messy bob) and I feel free!!

Callistemon21 Fri 27-Oct-23 20:37:33

Ps I used to have a lovely French pleat years ago and also a beehive 🙂

Primrose53 Fri 27-Oct-23 21:00:37

Callistemon21

Ps I used to have a lovely French pleat years ago and also a beehive 🙂

I went to a fancy dress party a few years ago dressed as a beatnik (sp?) with a massive beehive created from my own hair. It looked impressive until I got in the car and couldn’t sit upright as the beehive touched the roof. I had to drive there with my head sideways. 🤣

Callistemon21 Fri 27-Oct-23 21:14:10

😁

Lots of lacquer too, it was terrible to brush out.
And down hairstyles but backcombed to give them body.
All that backcombing must have damaged our hair!