Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What Size is Petite Really?

(2 Posts)
Tippi Thu 02-Nov-23 14:19:01

I’ve always been small for my age. When I was 4 and my brother 2, people thought we were twins; a year later and he was taller than me. My mum asked the doctor why I was so small and he said “She’ll shoot up one day” I didn’t; I just stopped growing all together when I was 12, at 4’ 6” and weighing 6st wet through. Being small was never a problem; I’ve always liked pretty skirts, tops and dresses and wearing age 8-10 years saved me lots of money; Monsoon was my go-to brand. The problem arose as I started getting older. I started looking to size 4 petite, but it was no good for me
I know I’m not the only small person on Gransnet, so I’d love to hear how you've manage to find clothes that fit and to stay looking stylish thanks

TillyTrotter Sun 05-Nov-23 05:46:05

I am petite too weighing in at just 4lbs at my premature birth.
At school I was called names because of my stick-thin legs but pretended not to mind as that way the teasing stopped.
Some people always found it fine to say “you need a bit more meat on your bones” although I would not dream of saying to anyone “you’re looking chunky”.
These are so many ranges of clothes now that do Petite sizes and I find it easy to buy clothes (I buy too many!) My favourite brand was discontinued many years ago and used to be in our (now defunct) Debenhams. It was called “J Taylor”.
Does anyone else remember it?