Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hairdressers price increase - can’t afford to keep hair colour up

(66 Posts)
ruthiek Thu 02-Nov-23 18:34:42

I am 70 but still like to keep my hair nice I have dark brown hair with quite a lot of grey at the sides and through the rest of my hair , but in recent years have kept it highlighted so looks blonde which I love .
My hairdresser has now put the price up for colour , toner, cut and blow dry to £100 ,I have short hair so the cut is every 6 weeks and colour every 10 weeks , but being retired I really can’t afford that but hate the thought of dark hair😪 any suggestions welcome thanks

Primrose53 Thu 02-Nov-23 19:25:10

Do you have a friend in a similar situation. You could do each other’s hair ….. some of these kits are so easy to use now.

M0nica Thu 02-Nov-23 19:25:15

I colour my hair myself, and always have done. i use Superdrug own brand hair colour. One of my hairdressers, when I asked her said that there was no point in me paying to have my hair coloured as they couldn't do itt any better than it was.

anna7 Thu 02-Nov-23 19:28:48

I alternate between a salon colour and a home colour. Works well for me and keeps costs down. It only costs £50 for a cut and colour where I live.

midgey Thu 02-Nov-23 19:40:00

Your hair could be nice but your own natural colour!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Nov-23 19:48:04

Why not go with your natural colour? I always think that coloured hair against an older face looks very false so stopped having highlights (which had basically made my hair blonde) after lockdown. I don’t regret it.

FrankandEarnest Thu 02-Nov-23 20:04:32

is this £100 on pensioners day or standard price?
I live in a small town with 6 hairdressers salons, only one has beginning of the week 20% off for over 60’s so that is where I go, even so its still expensive for the time it takes,
Most of the salons have signs in the windows regularly asking for ‘models’ for the trainees if you feeling brave, its usually much cheaper
Really I agree with others who suggest growing it out, can’t imagine you will look like Elsa Lanchester in Frankenstein ?

ruthiek Thu 02-Nov-23 20:05:23

Can you put a box dye on bleached dyed hair ?

ruthiek Thu 02-Nov-23 20:06:13

Frank and ernest this is a lady with home salon

Theexwife Thu 02-Nov-23 20:19:03

Do you have a college nearby that does a hairdressing course?

They are always wanting people to practice on, the hairdressers are 2nd years and have very close supervision, cost is very low.

Alternatively try a mobile hairdresser, they do not have the overheads and are often much cheaper.

Norah Thu 02-Nov-23 20:32:27

Have you considered letting it go silver?

I've a bob, blonde baylayage worked into the silver.

FrankandEarnest Thu 02-Nov-23 20:49:44

Norah, this is lovely, elegant style and colour.
My neighbour grew her colouring out over lockdown.
She now has a longer, smooth silver bob, turns under slightly. She winds it around her head at night and clips it, thats all she does.
Ladies ask her where she has it cut and coloured!
She is very tall too so when we are out and she wanders off she is easily spotted.
Its fabulous, very striking.
OP this could be you !

dogsmother Thu 02-Nov-23 20:49:54

I’d play with the colour too using home kits. You will halve the price of hairdressers. It’s expensive here to over£50 for a cut and blow dry. Mine is pretty much a pixie so needs every 5/6 weeks. I don’t colour just happy to have a good cut.

Chardy Thu 02-Nov-23 22:44:42

If your local college trains hairdressers, I would be surprised if you couldn't have your hair done there by a Level 3 student.

Jaxjacky Fri 03-Nov-23 13:00:11

Balayage is more expensive than a straight colour in our village Norah
I just use a Nice n Easy colour on my hair when I remember, probably every four months or so.

Georgesgran Fri 03-Nov-23 13:04:53

I’m just grey!

Callistemon21 Fri 03-Nov-23 13:10:13

ruthiek

I am 70 but still like to keep my hair nice I have dark brown hair with quite a lot of grey at the sides and through the rest of my hair , but in recent years have kept it highlighted so looks blonde which I love .
My hairdresser has now put the price up for colour , toner, cut and blow dry to £100 ,I have short hair so the cut is every 6 weeks and colour every 10 weeks , but being retired I really can’t afford that but hate the thought of dark hair😪 any suggestions welcome thanks

Try going au natural, ruthiek

You might be surprised and really like the silver high.ights through the brown.
Mine's dark brown and going a bit silver at the sides (at last); I thought of having low lights as my hair used to have auburn lights but has gone darker over the years.
But the cost is just too much for the benefit.

Callistemon21 Fri 03-Nov-23 13:11:55

And - I just went to a different salon which offers reduced rates for senior citizens (it's very modern too) and I'm pleased with the cut.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Nov-23 13:40:10

This is my now natural colour

Lovetopaint037 Fri 03-Nov-23 15:17:45

I’m 82 and still have about 90%of my own colour. However, my eyebrows are grey which is strange. I agree about dyed hair looking odd with an old face. For years people have suggested I have dyed hair. Some have looked in disbelief when I say I don’t do anything to it. If and when I get more grey it will be as it is.

silverlining48 Fri 03-Nov-23 16:28:30

I don’t have mine coloured anymore as it’s very porous and fades quickly. I used a 5 minute wash in colour from Superdrug this week and it’s gone a strange shade if pinky orange n the top layers. Don’t like it so will probably keep my grey/ white natural colour

silverlining48 Fri 03-Nov-23 16:29:47

To have the full works at a local salon is well over £100.

hollysteers Fri 03-Nov-23 16:33:11

Why don’t you try a box colour in a light shade? My bf colours her own hair light auburn with Nice and Easy, a lovely colour, but has a good cut at a salon.
I have greying brown hair, but have it trimmed and coloured with highlights at the same salon (£60) I stretch the time I visit by using a brown root spray and a brown hair mascara wand.
During lockdown, I returned to the colour I had as a young un, dark brown box colour, but it was ageing.

AreWeThereYet Fri 03-Nov-23 16:40:02

I recently bumped into a lady I know who was out shopping with her DD and teenage GD - all three had beautiful grey hair. My friend's was darkest grey and shortest. GD was silvery grey and longest. Apparently GD dyed hers grey when her Mum decided to stop dyeing hers. My friend has been grey for quite a few years anyway. They all looked fabulous.

Visgir1 Fri 03-Nov-23 17:04:26

Try looking for a cheaper one, or be honest with them tell them you can't afford that price, sadly you won't be coming back. You never know they might do a special price for you?
Worth asking?