Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Amazing discovery on bras

(53 Posts)
Saxifrage Fri 03-Nov-23 09:49:37

Several years ago I stopped buying bras with bones or stiffeners in them and just went for soft comfort. I tried a variety of styles never quite finding the ideal. Among others I bought a pack of sports bras, the type that is all in one without any fastenings. I couldn't get on with these as found them much too difficult to get on (over my head and struggled to get arms in). I have now just discovered that if you step in to them and pull up over hips it is incredibly easy. I am now very comfortable indeed so though there might be others who are as slow as me to see the obvious!!

Juliet27 Fri 03-Nov-23 09:55:14

Depends on the size of the hips though I should think !

henetha Fri 03-Nov-23 09:55:17

Same here Saxifrage. It took me ages to discover that pulling them up is best. And I love the comfort of them, after years of wearing horrible boned things.

luluaugust Fri 03-Nov-23 09:55:42

Saxifrage its not just bras, my physio has told me to sit on the bed to put on my trousers, pull half way up and then stand! no more hopping around. We live and learn hmm

annodomini Fri 03-Nov-23 10:28:49

Since having shoulder surgery, and - years later - a broken shoulder, I've fastened my ordinary bra and then pulled it on over my hips. I also sit on the side of my bed to put my trousers and my socks on.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Nov-23 10:33:09

I have stepped into my bras for a good long time now but can’t get on with the sports bra they kinda flatten it all down squishy squashy but I don’t wear wires any more way too uncomfortable I have found M and S do a plunge bra which suits me for now

midgey Fri 03-Nov-23 10:38:12

Ooh you lucky ladies with such slim hips! (And tums…..etc!)

Salti Fri 03-Nov-23 11:18:35

Wow, it works! How could I have struggled for so long??🤯

Georgesgran Fri 03-Nov-23 11:59:53

It also helps to lean forward so the ‘girls’ fall into the cups properly! Saves lots of manual pulling and shoving.

Fairycakes Fri 03-Nov-23 12:35:48

I'd like to wear underwired bras for some uplift, but since the menopause, I've developed extra fat that spills out over the top of the band under the arms. Not very attractive sad.

Grannynannywanny Fri 03-Nov-23 13:03:13

This reminds me of 40 odd years ago when we were all on holiday as a family group. My Mum and her sister were sharing a bedroom. I was making breakfast and my Mum came and sat at the table in fits of uncontrollable laughter. The tears were streaming down her face and she couldn’t speak.

Her sister eventually emerged from the bedroom and once the hilarity settled they were able to tell us what had just come to light. My Mum had come out of the shower to find her sister tangled in her pantie girdle with it wrapped round her neck and one arm in it. It was a revelation when my Mum suggested she should be stepping into it. The poor woman had spent her entire adult life pulling her pantie girdle over her head 🤣

Saxifrage Fri 03-Nov-23 13:07:05

Granny nanny. - yes exactly the sort of tangle I was getting in before the inspiration!

Grannynannywanny Fri 03-Nov-23 13:09:28

The more I think of it it was a corset type garment. What were they called? I can’t remember. It couldn’t have been pantie girdle. They had a gusset didn’t they? That really would have been impossible 😆

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 03-Nov-23 13:11:26

As I read your post I thought why doesn’t she pull them up!

Anyway, you got there in the end 😊

PinkCosmos Fri 03-Nov-23 13:50:18

Grannynannywanny

The more I think of it it was a corset type garment. What were they called? I can’t remember. It couldn’t have been pantie girdle. They had a gusset didn’t they? That really would have been impossible 😆

I think they were more like this - without a gusset

Grannynannywanny Fri 03-Nov-23 14:00:11

That’s exactly it PinkCosmos thank you 😊

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 03-Nov-23 14:07:32

18 hour girdle grin

NotTooOld Fri 03-Nov-23 15:41:16

Do you mean a roll-on? Horrible wide band of elastic type material, not necessarly with suspenders. You wore them under knickers. You could also wear tights over the top. Honestly, things have got so much better for women, clotheswise.

Grannynannywanny Fri 03-Nov-23 15:51:38

Now you’ve said roll on NotTooOld I think that’s what my Mum and aunt called those dreadful garments.

silverlining48 Fri 03-Nov-23 16:21:33

No way could I step into a bra, the haunches would firmly object.

DanniRae Sat 04-Nov-23 07:51:09

silverlining .... Well! I didn't even know I had haunches. I had to look it up!
I learn something new every time I come on Gransnet smile

silverlining48 Sat 04-Nov-23 08:27:41

Me too Danni.

Witzend Sat 04-Nov-23 08:36:11

I have been known to take the wires out of a bra I otherwise liked. Mind you I was never very bountifully endowed, so perhaps I have less need of them than many other people.

JackyB Sat 04-Nov-23 10:28:54

After swimming lessons at school, age about 12, when some of us first started wearing bras, the girl I shared a cubicle with put her bra on upside down and inside out, fastened the hooks at the front and then twizzled it round, arms through the straps and bingo! Job done. Not fiddling about blind behind your back. I copied her and have done it that way ever since. Since babies and menopause I'm a G cup ( not sure what that is in UK sizes) and I am really grateful for this method.

Leaning forward to settle into the cups is one of the tips I picked up working as a Saturday girl in the lingerie and corsetry department of a department store. I wish I could remember more about it.

Fairycakes Sat 04-Nov-23 11:40:44

NotTooOld

Do you mean a roll-on? Horrible wide band of elastic type material, not necessarly with suspenders. You wore them under knickers. You could also wear tights over the top. Honestly, things have got so much better for women, clotheswise.

I remember roll-ons. My nan used to wear one 😁.