Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A sea of seventies brown!

(102 Posts)
Casdon Sat 15-Aug-26 11:59:34

I’ve been out clothes shopping this morning, but came back empty handed because I felt like I was in a seventies time warp.

All the shops are full of all shades of brown, orange, tan, beige with the odd olive green for good measure. The modern versions of tank tops, flared jeans and balloon sleeves abound. I really don’t like browns, nor do I want to revisit the clothes of my youth.

Is anybody else enthused-as far as I’m concerned it’s going to be a low spend winter?

Nana4 Mon 17-Aug-26 14:14:54

Sorry for you ladies who don’t like brown! I hate black! Does nothing for me. So glad to go back to the 70s, brown with contrasting yellow! My youth is back 😍I am an autumn 🍂
Nobody makes you wear colours you don’t like or don’t suit you. You’ll because breath of fresh air with your favourite colours. You’ll stand out 🐸

Geordiegirl1 Mon 17-Aug-26 14:14:46

I was appalled and depressed to see it all again!

NannieChicken Mon 17-Aug-26 14:11:21

Brown simply doesn't suit me. Blues, pinks and purples are more my colours so it looks as though it will be a cheap year for clothes purchases sad

Harris27 Mon 17-Aug-26 14:08:05

M&S full of brown nit fir me done it in the 70’s not for me now.

cookiemonster66 Mon 17-Aug-26 13:59:53

YES!!! I agree! I have just lost 5 and half stone and need new clothes BUT the colours in shops are awful, it is beige overload. When I asked my daughter apparently those colours make you look more affluent!?! well I love neon pinks purples and reds so I must look like a pauper but I don't care better than looking boring!

NotaGrannie Mon 17-Aug-26 13:52:48

Another positive vote for the rich warm autumn shades

A red head now with lots of salt and pepper, blue eyes, fair skin I look my best in autumn colours

shades of brown, rusts, olive, khaki, teals green and blue, red burgundy (not pink)

and so glad the colours that wash me out are no longer dominating shops and I can buy new tops in "my colours"

Olivebranch Mon 17-Aug-26 13:52:46

I really like brown as it’s not black and navy is boring and men wear navy all the time.Wear with something brighter

RobertaDanversWalker Mon 17-Aug-26 13:49:24

I loved brown and 'burnt orange' in the 70s, but then I also loved platform shoes and giant flared jeans ... I will be sitting this current brown phase out, until it goes away.

AGAA4 Mon 17-Aug-26 11:16:03

I had a look at M & S website. Didn't realise there were forty shades of brown. I had planned a trip to a larger M & S to check the autumn collection but won't bother now.

Casdon Mon 17-Aug-26 09:40:39

That’s a shame M0nica, as I would envisage anybody looking for brown to add to their wardrobe will have a field day in the January sales.

M0nica Mon 17-Aug-26 08:22:54

With rare exceptions I have always found the clothes in M&S dull. I always used to think they designed clothes for women 20 years older than me until I reached about 70 and that logic no longer made sense.

However, I think in the last 2 years their clothes sales have surged after some years in the doldrums, so even if we find their clothes dull, younger women don't.

gangy5 Sun 16-Aug-26 16:24:28

I agree wholeheartedly with all who have mentioned how dull the clothing is that's on offer in M&S. I have had 2 gift vouchers since Christmas which I have been attempting to spend. The clothing is so uninspiring.

Aveline Sun 16-Aug-26 16:09:22

We had to wear navy blue pants under our school uniforms. I never understood what the pocket on the front of them was for. Awkward to try to get a hankie out from.

MartavTaurus Sun 16-Aug-26 15:01:34

PS I'm off into town tomorrow, so will check out the shops.

MartavTaurus Sun 16-Aug-26 15:00:27

I've only just found this thread.
So funny! PE knickers and 💩. 😆
My school uniform was blue, so no worries there. My Brownie uniform was brown, back in the day, but I see they've moved to a bright yellow now.

JenniRen Sun 16-Aug-26 14:53:19

50 shades of 💩

Casdon Sun 16-Aug-26 14:51:06

I’ve listened petra, very interesting, and it resonates. I’m not sure where brown, on trend, rather than classic, clothes fit in though, they aren’t in the aesthetics mentioned, unless this hippy type clothing is classed as ‘athleisure’ now?

Oreo Sun 16-Aug-26 14:32:44

MawsRosie

petra

The fashion experts claim that the economy is reflected in fashion. youtu.be/SyuS3WoYZ5o?si=sAwAY002Ggz5GUar

In other words we’re all in deep sh*t?

Or a shade of it 😁

MawsRosie Sun 16-Aug-26 14:31:30

petra

The fashion experts claim that the economy is reflected in fashion. youtu.be/SyuS3WoYZ5o?si=sAwAY002Ggz5GUar

In other words we’re all in deep sh*t?

petra Sun 16-Aug-26 13:57:37

The fashion experts claim that the economy is reflected in fashion. youtu.be/SyuS3WoYZ5o?si=sAwAY002Ggz5GUar

25Avalon Sun 16-Aug-26 13:48:29

Oh I was so jealous of those knickers with pockets in. We had to wear them for indoor PE and the brown ones had no pockets. A couple of girls had navy blue ones which had pockets and were allowed as they matched the summer blue gingham dresses.

Grammaretto Sun 16-Aug-26 12:44:08

I had a fabulous Harris Tweed coat in ginger brown. I wore it a lot but moths destroyed it eventually. 😢

M0nica Sun 16-Aug-26 11:14:12

I love brown! It is one of my most flattering colours, along with yellow. I have a whole range of brown items in my wardrobe. I am currently dressed all in yellow

Having reviewed my winter wardrobe, I anticipate that all I will need to buy this winter will be a couple of pairs of shoes and probably some more underwear.

JenniRen Sun 16-Aug-26 10:14:48

My mother-in-law usually wore brown and cream, she refused to wear blue as she'd worn navy as a school uniform then later on in her working life. Never any brighter colours, brown skirts, cream blouses and brown or beige cardigans.

MT62 Sun 16-Aug-26 09:32:47

Witzend

Re brown school uniform, we were all once astonished when one of our French exchange girls (we were 14-15) who admittedly was exceedingly glam anyway, decided that our horrible brown school gabardine coats were very chic, and actually bought herself one!!

And on her, I have to admit, it did possess some sort of chic.

Did she have a brown beret to go with her brown coat? 😂