Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A sea of seventies brown!

(102 Posts)
Casdon Sat 15-Aug-26 11:59:34

I’ve been out clothes shopping this morning, but came back empty handed because I felt like I was in a seventies time warp.

All the shops are full of all shades of brown, orange, tan, beige with the odd olive green for good measure. The modern versions of tank tops, flared jeans and balloon sleeves abound. I really don’t like browns, nor do I want to revisit the clothes of my youth.

Is anybody else enthused-as far as I’m concerned it’s going to be a low spend winter?

Witzend Sun 16-Aug-26 09:29:40

Re brown school uniform, we were all once astonished when one of our French exchange girls (we were 14-15) who admittedly was exceedingly glam anyway, decided that our horrible brown school gabardine coats were very chic, and actually bought herself one!!

And on her, I have to admit, it did possess some sort of chic.

MT62 Sun 16-Aug-26 09:29:38

nanna8

The ‘uniform’ in our city centre amongst the trendy professionals is black, grey, brown and if you are really looking for something a bit different, navy blue. Us out of towners stand out because we don’t wear their ‘uniform’ . I think they look dreary and like something from Soviet Russia or Communist China. Probably with politics to match ( cynically).

Maybe grey, to go with their grey houses!

emmasnan Sun 16-Aug-26 09:19:41

I agree it is like stepping back in to the seventies but not in a good way.
The shade of brown that seems widely available is horrible.
Don't think I'll be spending much on clothes for a while!

Primrose53 Sun 16-Aug-26 09:14:25

I think the trick is (if you want to look on trend) to wear just a splash of the current colour. At the moment it’s brown. Maybe a thin brown scarf or a brown necklace.

I saw a small girl yesterday (about 4) wearing a lovely little dress in a mocha shade with tiny white spots and it suited her very well.

I prefer brown to that ghastly craze for grey a few years ago.

Crumbly159 Sun 16-Aug-26 01:57:53

nanna8

The ‘uniform’ in our city centre amongst the trendy professionals is black, grey, brown and if you are really looking for something a bit different, navy blue. Us out of towners stand out because we don’t wear their ‘uniform’ . I think they look dreary and like something from Soviet Russia or Communist China. Probably with politics to match ( cynically).

Ha! Ha! Remember the Chairman Mao suits in communist China back in the 1960's?

Crumbly159 Sun 16-Aug-26 01:55:32

Just as long as Puffball skirts/dresses don't make a comeback.

They only came into fashion briefly - Sarah Ferguson turned up to a 'do' in one - she must have been mad!

nanna8 Sun 16-Aug-26 00:28:07

The ‘uniform’ in our city centre amongst the trendy professionals is black, grey, brown and if you are really looking for something a bit different, navy blue. Us out of towners stand out because we don’t wear their ‘uniform’ . I think they look dreary and like something from Soviet Russia or Communist China. Probably with politics to match ( cynically).

Grammaretto Sun 16-Aug-26 00:12:29

I am surprised if not shocked that so many on here had brown uniforms.! 😯
I wonder why?
Mine were grey pinafores at primary school, bottle green with a red sash at my high school and grey and blue at my Quaker boarding school.

I generally steer away from any of these colours now.

My DGM wore brown a lot because she'd been told she suited it in her youth. I have a brown dress which I am fond of. Perhaps I should look in the mirror 🤣😂😅

MT62 Sat 15-Aug-26 23:27:20

Am a redhead, green eyes, so will always favour bronze-browns tones, over black.
I think also those colours look better in silk, or satin type materials, rather than thick, flat fabrics that resemble a sack.
Rarely do I buy black handbags, it has to be a brown colour of sorts, same with gloves.

MT62 Sat 15-Aug-26 23:07:08

Dylis

My friend is convinced that designers have a supply of 1970's Freeman catalogues!

😂😂😂

BlueBelle Sat 15-Aug-26 23:06:37

Our uniform was light blue and navy with navy knickers I like blue
I rarely wear brown and won’t this autumn I ll continue in bright colours or pastel shades if I was to wear brown or beige trousers I d have something very bright on top
I hadn’t noticed it in the shops till I went in Asda today and you’re right George was all brown

Georgesgran Sat 15-Aug-26 22:57:48

I’m amazed how many of us wore brown uniforms, with matching brown knickers which were worn for gym right up to 5th year. The uniform was paired with gold and as others have said, only stocked by 2 retailers and a small fortune in its day. I’m sure there were no other schools for miles around wearing brown. A local independent school was pea-pod green, but everywhere else was just navy and grey.

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 22:57:44

V3ra

Clive Myrie on BBC1 News this evening: wearing a brown tie 😉

I wouldn't have thought anything of it if it hadn't been for this thread 😁

I love Clive Myrie but I may have to email the Beeb about his colour choice for his tie!

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 15-Aug-26 22:50:03

Agree Casdon.
A friend and I went into M&S Trafford Centre this morning. So many of their clothes were brown/orange as you say and we both mused whether 50 years on, the wheel had been reinvented for the younger shoppers who didn’t remember that colour palette the first time round! We just shuddered and both turned away saying ‘no thanks’.

JenniRen Sat 15-Aug-26 22:46:35

GrannyGravy13

My grammar school uniform was brown, I try to avoid it nowadays at all costs.

My older daughter, then aged 11, refused point blank to go to a school which had a brown uniform! She was upset when she thought we'd buy a house on the catchment area.

V3ra Sat 15-Aug-26 22:42:48

Clive Myrie on BBC1 News this evening: wearing a brown tie 😉

I wouldn't have thought anything of it if it hadn't been for this thread 😁

AmberGran Sat 15-Aug-26 15:37:54

I love olive green, it really suits me. I have an olive green linen midi sundress that I have worn through 2 hot summers. I also have a dark chocolate brown midi wrap skirt.

I don't wear brown, black, navy or purple right next to my face though.

Dylis Sat 15-Aug-26 15:25:33

My friend is convinced that designers have a supply of 1970's Freeman catalogues!

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 14:12:09

ViceVersa

Silvershadow

Being fair with blue eyes brown has never suited me so I’ve never worn it, the same with beige. I prefer blues of any shade.

I'm the same. Brown and beige just make me look even more washed out than I do to begin with.

I bought a coffee coloured outfit for a wedding a few years ago which I thought was very chic until I saw the photos later on!
I looked as old as my Mum! The colour was so ageing.

Witzend Sat 15-Aug-26 14:08:25

GrannyGravy13

My grammar school uniform was brown, I try to avoid it nowadays at all costs.

Ditto. And especially when it’s paired with orange! The most ghastly combination possible.

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 14:07:46

Mamie

Our uniform was dark brown and the knickers had pockets in. My sister used to hide bits of school lunch in hers. After 10 years wearing the uniform (prep school and senior school) I hated brown and have never worn it since. When I walked into M and S and saw dark brown nighties I felt quite traumatised. 😮

😂

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 14:07:10

Casdon

I’ve been out clothes shopping this morning, but came back empty handed because I felt like I was in a seventies time warp.

All the shops are full of all shades of brown, orange, tan, beige with the odd olive green for good measure. The modern versions of tank tops, flared jeans and balloon sleeves abound. I really don’t like browns, nor do I want to revisit the clothes of my youth.

Is anybody else enthused-as far as I’m concerned it’s going to be a low spend winter?

I agree with you, I won’t be tempted by clothes until next year when hopefully better things will be on the fashion menu.

Foxtail Sat 15-Aug-26 13:59:47

My uniform was Brown and pale blue, I never wore /bought anything brown after that until just recently I bought a pair of dark brown jeans from M&S. I have always however been drawn to pale blue, in everything, clothes, furnishings etc.

Mamie Sat 15-Aug-26 13:46:28

Our uniform was dark brown and the knickers had pockets in. My sister used to hide bits of school lunch in hers. After 10 years wearing the uniform (prep school and senior school) I hated brown and have never worn it since. When I walked into M and S and saw dark brown nighties I felt quite traumatised. 😮

grannyqueenie Sat 15-Aug-26 13:45:12

I’ve always looked better in vivid colours. Now with grey/white hair, my skin tone seems to have changed too, so I need all the help I can get to feel like myself. Brown and what I think of as “sludge” colours do me no favours at all, especially in the dull winter months.