Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Female hair loss.

(403 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 10:23:24

This week Kathy Morris gives an insight into her experience of hair loss, and its knock-on effects.

From trawling the internet to visiting every salon in her area, Kathy determinedly searched for a cure. Do add your own experiences, and of course, solutions, here.

carolpeters1 Sun 12-Jan-14 11:04:47

I have always had thin hair but it's even worse now I take Warfarin. Why are there so many products and such sympathy for men losing their hair when it doesn't really matter if a man is bald, nobody takes any notice. It is an absolute tragedy for women who lose their hair. I have tried that new product called Plantur or something, it is OK but it doesn't make your hair grow, it seems to thicken what fine hair you do have. I have had highlights and this also seems to work at thickening my hair. There really is no answer unless you can afford to have hair transplants AKA Wayne Rooney!

shabby Sun 12-Jan-14 18:23:27

Carol I have recently started using a product called Grow Gorgeous which is available from Boots. It's a serum which is non sticky which you apply once a day. It also smells lovely. I have only been using it for 4 weeks so early days as they recommend using for a minimum of 4 months but have noticed a difference in the texture of my hair and it does appear thicker. Less of my scalp seems to be visible thank goodness! I have tried countless products - not keen on Plantur it leaves my hair matted - but this is the only only I have ever recommended as it seems to be working for me.

Tegan Sun 12-Jan-14 18:38:02

I looked for that in Boots last week but they didn't sell it. Looks like I'll have to buy it online.

shabby Sun 12-Jan-14 21:08:24

I have just read about a new 'breakthrough' product in today's Sunday Times that is being produced by L'Oreal and contains a new ingredient called filloxane. The range will be available later this month.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1361747.ece

Fingers crossed this will do what it claims!

shabby Sun 12-Jan-14 21:10:11

Sorry forgot to convert the link

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1361747.ece

Roderick Mon 20-Jan-14 19:35:53

Hello,
I think how much hair you have is the luck of the draw.At 84 I have a good head of hair and so has my eldest son Mark.But my youngest son is going bald and he is 6 years younger than Mark(See pics on my profile)

annodomini Mon 20-Jan-14 19:52:04

Roderick, we can't see your profile pictures unless you make it public - names in blue are of members whose profiles are public. I hope to see yours soon.

sherish Mon 20-Jan-14 20:28:29

I have bought the L'Oreal product from Boots online. I went on a wait list and they arrived today. I haven't tried it yet but will let you all know what results I get. I am at the moment on chemotherapy and although it isn't supposed to have an effect on hair my hair is quite fine so hopefully it will help. It cost me £2.95 each for the shampoo and conditioner so about the same price as I usually pay. I think it will be stocked in Boots' stores shortly.

Tegan Mon 20-Jan-14 20:37:58

Crikey; I thought it would be really expensive. Can't wait to see what it's like. I do want to get the Grow Gorgeous as well.

Roderick Mon 20-Jan-14 20:44:42

anno domini,
Thanks,I will check that

Roderick Mon 20-Jan-14 20:54:30

Anno Domini,
I hope you can now see my pics

soop Tue 21-Jan-14 13:36:56

Roderick You have a very fine head of hair. smile

KatyK Tue 21-Jan-14 14:34:45

I sincerely hope this new product works for those of you with thinning hair, I'm sure something will. There has to be something that works in this day and age surely. Alopecia however (in my case) is a bit of a lost cause. sad

Roderick Tue 21-Jan-14 15:38:14

Soop,Thanks,I owe it to my parents

yousaf1981 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:07:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

shabby Wed 26-Mar-14 15:07:36

I have now been using Grow Gorgeous for 4 months and I am also using the L'Oreal fibrology range of products. I must admit that I was sceptical about both at first but have persevered. The change in the thickness and condition of my hair has been really significant and my hair is the best that it has been for years. If only these products had been around years ago they would have saved so much anguish. Also after years of having short hair because I thought I could manage and disguise my thinning hair better I have let it grow and it is now almost shoulder length and a bit of backcombing helps no end.

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 15:13:42

Was going to dig out this thread as still haven't bought those products and my hair is going from bad to worse [albeit looking quite healthy].

KatyK Wed 26-Mar-14 16:29:20

Tegan - I hope you don't mind me asking but if your hair is looking quite healthy, why is it going from bad to worse?

Tegan Wed 26-Mar-14 16:46:57

It's just getting thinner and sparser sad. I'm afraid the Batiste which really helped now irritates my scalp [although I do use it sometimes]. I love the touch of silver shampoo and soon I'll be able to wear shades on my head again. I do wonder why I lost so much of it last year; maybe stress from my job didn't help; just hope I don't have another mega loss again...I'm certainly not losing loads when I brush it or finding myself surrounded by hair on my desk and round my shoulders! It may be looking thinner because I'm over conditioning it.

KatyK Wed 26-Mar-14 16:56:54

Oh I see. When mine was thinning (it has now virtually all gone sad ) my hairdresser didn't used to put conditioner on it as it did make it look thinner.
My first port of call was a blood test. Sometimes thinning hair can be caused
by anaemia or thyroid problems apparently. Unfortunately for me no reason could be found. Maybe one of these is causing your problem. Strangely, I never at any point saw mine falling out, either when I washed it or in my hairbrush, It just gradually disappeared. I hope you find something which helps.

Maggiemaybe Thu 27-Mar-14 20:11:23

Conditioner makes mine look thinner too, Katy. I've just started using the Fibrology. After 3 uses, I definitely think it has made a difference to my baby fine hair, which does seem to have a little bit of body now. One drawback is that it doesn't get on with the Batiste I've been using - a quick spray of the dry stuff now and my hair looks lank and greasy. This didn't happen with the shampoo I normally use - again L'Oreal, but the EverPure that has no sulphates in and made my hair nice and shiny.

It's a shame L'Oreal can't combine the two formulae somehow! Of course I'll be trying to mix the two now and it'll all go horribly wrong....

Tegan Fri 28-Mar-14 20:54:53

L'Oreal fibrology is half price at Tescos at the moment.

Tegan Sat 29-Mar-14 18:51:15

Very impressed with the L'Oreal fybrology. Used the shampoo, the mousse and the serum. Going to stock up on the mousse and serum as that won't last as long as the other stuff.

TAB12 Sun 30-Mar-14 12:57:17

Pantene volume shampoo is very effective on thinning hair. It works for me.

annodomini Sun 30-Mar-14 13:35:38

I will try the fibrology. My hair is thinner on the right side than on the left, I think, because I sleep on that side. This sometimes makes for a strange looking hairstyle.