Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Thread Lift?

(39 Posts)
oldgimmer1 Mon 11-Feb-19 11:32:53

I'm approaching 60. I have good skin, am fit and slimmish and generally look after myself.

I've discounted a facelift on the grounds of being too invasive and considering a thread lift instead. I'm working full time, and feel unable to commit to the recovery tine needed for a facelift.

Anyone have any experiences of thread lift?

Thanks.

blondenana Sun 17-Feb-19 15:50:20

Look on you tube, Gillian Taylforth had one [Eastenders] my daughter had one a few years ago, i didnt think it made much difference, but it is supposed to help collagen to grow back,he face now though is good for her age,
Some surgeons wont do it as they say it doesnt last long enough and not effective enough, but i would just have a look
Prices vary, My daughters was quite expensive but prices have come down, to about £1000

janeainsworth Sun 17-Feb-19 15:59:48

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2436087-Just-had-a-PDO-threadlift
I had to google thread lift, but here’s a thread (excuse pun) on Mumsnet.
It sounds as though the mumsnetter who had it done had quite extensive bruising, so you would probably need some time off work at least.

PECS Sun 17-Feb-19 16:12:38

Can I ask why you want the procedure at all? It sounds as if you probably look after yourself health wise. They are all only temporary we cannot hold back time and I would be worried once I began on that route I would have to go on and on!

PECS Sun 17-Feb-19 16:17:27

mooipraatjies.com/thread-lift-happened/

I looked really hard an honestly cannot see a difference!

oldgimmer1 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:16:12

Thanks folks. Just catching up with replies. smile.

@PECS: why do I want this treatment?

Just vain, I guess!

Another thing-I've just gone back to work full time. I haven't got all that much time left before retiring and I would like to think I could progress career wise.

I want to feel that I could compete with younger people and by looking younger, I would feel younger and a bit more vital!

So I suppose it's down to confidence really....

Dontaskme Wed 20-Feb-19 07:28:03

I've thought about a thread lift too, but after seeing the lumpy bumpy face that Katie Price ended up with I thought better of it. There are lots of before and after pictures online of people who have had it, and generally I can't see a difference tbh.
I have botox and fillers smile.

oldgimmer1 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:52:28

Agree @don'taskme that the difference before and after is subtle.

BlueBelle Wed 20-Feb-19 08:04:42

Oh why can’t people be happy with what they ve got There is so much discontent at faces that are usually lovely before they start doing ‘work’ on them
Up to you but I think people look a whole lot better as they are, although I think plastic surgery and other treatments are marvellous for people with genuine medical facial problems

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 08:27:24

I understand the desire to keep looking younger than we are..the age I feel no way matches my face or body when I look in the mirror!
I still do bits of work and am 8 yrs older than you. A young woman, in charge of the team I was working in, was complaining about her FiL being too old to do some repairs in her house. Someone asked how old he was.." Oh really old, 66 or 67" When I said " Oh, so older than me?" she looked horrified & was totally embarrassed. I do not look younger than I am but I do think attitude and outlook can override physical appearance!

dragonfly46 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:32:47

I love telling people my age as they are always shocked and tell me I look 10 years younger. Then they say it is probably because I have a smiley face!

J52 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:59:08

I’d spend the money on good salon hair care, good skin care and relaxing spa treatment.
What happens when the ‘face lift’ wears off? Do you go back to looking as you did? Or look worse because the contrast is so great?
Treatments such as Botox and Thread lift are quite new, no one is sure about the long term effects. You only have to look at the silicon breast implant issues that are coming to light now.

J52 Wed 20-Feb-19 09:01:01

BTW I think Gillian Taylforth looks strange, her skin looks all shiny and tight, and that’s with the help of the expert tv make up artists.

Dontaskme Wed 20-Feb-19 11:43:50

I don't have botox or fillers to look younger, just not so tired and haggard smile. Makes me feel better.
That Hermione whatshername from Cold Feet has the most strange face since having some sort of procedure. Miriam Stoppard is another. And her that used to be on Countdown, can't remember her name for the life of me! Ah, Carol Vordermann, that's her.

blondenana Wed 20-Feb-19 11:50:17

I think the shininess on Gillian Taylforths face is down to botox, but it doesnt have to look like that, i seem to remember sometime in the past she had a proper facelift, and i think she looks great for 60 +
I have recently had cheek fillers as i had lost some fat in my face due to age, and i am thrilled with the result
I have always been told i dont look my age anyway, but the fat loss was beginning to show,and it doesnt look artificial, just a bit plumper face,as it was probably 5 or 6 years ago
I posted a pic on mumsnet a few days ago on cheek filler thread,if anyone wants to have a look

blondenana Wed 20-Feb-19 11:52:37

Dontaskme Carol Vorderman has had lots of procedures, look at her on countdown years ago, she was nothing special, not even that good looking

oldgimmer1 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:38:22

@blonde I'd love to see your thread on Mumsnet. Could you link please?

Sparklefizz Fri 22-Feb-19 18:22:43

Carol Vorderman looks weird imo, and almost unrecognisable. She's had a lot of procedures including cheek plumping. So have Simon Cowell and Hermione Norris. Don't know why HN had it done as she has amazing cheekbones.

mymadeupname Fri 22-Feb-19 23:35:59

So many now have had lots done - to my great disappointment, even Helen Mirren. Her lips no longer look like her lips. Such a shame.

Gillian Taylforth does look fabulous but there is something strange about her tight shiny skin - it's too thin to have no lines. Our skin doesn't just crease and droop, it gets thinner as well so it won't ever have the bounce and natural glow of young skin.

And fillers aren't the answer either as fillers tend to move and slide down the face over time, resulting in a strange lightly bumpy texture which looks odd and gives the game away.

Like custard that was too thick to set perfectly smoothly so settles with a slightly bumpy surface.

Approaching my 62nd birthday I am now working towards acceptance, though I am having trouble with the transition. I've been googling 'over 60's style blogs' for inspiration though they aren't always that inspiring, often featuring extraordinary silver hair and STATEMENT spectacles on 5ft 10" willowy women with a bicycle, baguette, beret and little dog, usually on a London / Paris / New York pavement. Or wielding a paintbrush doing something creative somewhere extraordinary or exotic.

Not going round Tescos.

oldgimmer1 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:18:55

I don't think any treatment is THE definitive answer but I'm going to go down fightinggrin.

I'm struggling for self-acceptance too but I've never felt happy with myself so no change there!

I wish I was one of those who are "comfortable in their skin" - I never did....I've often wondered what it feels like. hmm

MacCavity2 Sat 23-Feb-19 11:15:25

I’m with you oldgimmer1 and I love non surgical treatments. Have been having CACI for a long time and good job I did as an illness last year took 3 stone from me, happy about the tummy and hips but disaster for my face. Luckily have a brilliant clinic near me that gives brutally honest advice. No to fillers, no to threads, but have just finished 3 rounds of laser skin tightening. This is not for the faint hearted but looking at the results in the photos I’m very pleased. BTW I am older than you. My husband thinks it’s worth it.

blondenana Mon 25-Feb-19 09:54:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blondenana Mon 25-Feb-19 09:58:00

Oh good managed to do it, i wish i could do something with my neck though,it is hidden under my polo neck jumper,
The treatment didnt hurt at all, and a cannula was used, which is better than a needle
If you want to ask anything please feel free
My daughter says i should have hidden my jowls as well, shes a perfectionist lol

blondenana Mon 25-Feb-19 10:03:13

MacCavity 2 would you be willing to show the results of your laser treatment it sounds interesting
Would iot work on necks? hmm

MacCavity2 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:22:53

Hi blondenana yes I’ll be happy to post results when I’ve got final photos. It will be a little while as I’m just finishing the downtime from the last treatment (7 days for my age group). First day out tomorrow and possibly back for last photo in a week or so. I’d recommend having these treatments during the winter as it’s easier to hide away. I’ve used the time constructively sorting out wardrobes, cupboards, drawers etc., and of course having friends round to eat and drink! Oh yes, it works on necks.