Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

No more hair colour

(121 Posts)
maydonoz Fri 03-Jul-20 17:06:58

Tomorrow I have a hair appointment but for the first time I will just have a trim, I have decided to embrace the greys and not have my roots done again. I have threatened to do this before but have laterchangedmy in d, however this time I'm decisive.
I wondered if anyone else has made the same decision during lockdown.

lemongrove Fri 03-Jul-20 17:09:45

No....just the opposite, I need colour and feel better with it.
A good friend has given up to ‘embrace the grey’ during lockdown and looks about a hundred years old.?

CocoPops Fri 03-Jul-20 17:30:57

Yes, I "embraced the grey" last year and much to my surprise received lots of compliments. I found it liberating.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:52:50

I have a couple of boxes of semi permanent hair colours, just in case I bottle out and want to cover the grey/black hair.
I’m not having it cut though, I can’t cope with uncoloured and short hair, but so far the bottles remain in their packets.

annsixty Fri 03-Jul-20 17:54:20

I stopped about 5 years ago and have never once regretted it.
I am now almost all white and it certainly suits my skin colour better.

Toadinthehole Fri 03-Jul-20 17:57:01

I’ve just had my hair coloured. It’s never anything outlandish, I just have my natural colour put back. My dear friend who does my hair is a mobile hairdresser, and reckons my colour is the most popular one asked for. I can cope with most things to do with ageing, but not grey hair!?

TwiceAsNice Fri 03-Jul-20 18:06:06

I am now very grey since lockdown and hate it. I will be having my hair recoloured as soon as I can arrange it

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jul-20 18:06:47

I stopped having mine coloured at the end of last summer. My hair is shoulder length. The grey is now bottom of my ears, the rest is blondeish, but not too noticeable.

My DH prefers it, and I like it also. I think it’s pewter colour, if I look older, well, so be it. Lockdown has reinforced my decision.

J52 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:32:28

I gradually lightened my hair until the regrowth blended in. I then stopped and let the natural silver grey Show.
I have been stopped by strangers making positive comments. So glad I don’t have the fuss and expense of colour.
Go for it!

Hetty58 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:39:22

I dyed my hair 'steel silver' instead of blonde, and it's brilliant that the roots blend in so well! When the previously coloured ends grow out, I'll be quite happy to stop. Younger people actually choose to dye their hair silver, after all! (I quite fancy trying pink too.)

FlexibleFriend Fri 03-Jul-20 18:46:25

No I've continued to colour my hair throughout lockdown.

Purpledaffodil Fri 03-Jul-20 18:54:08

Like J52 I went paler with dye until silver roots were not noticeable. DD was against it but now admits she likes it and it gives her hope for her future hair colour?
I feel more authentic, it saves lots of money and my hair is in much better condition. What’s not to like?

Chewbacca Fri 03-Jul-20 19:00:22

This is very timely..... I've not seen my natural colour of hair since I was 15 and so was a bit shock to see how silvery grey it is now. I've always had a cut and colour every 6 weeks but lockdown, and my hairdresser deciding to close up business, has made me think I might not go back to colouring it again. I'm just a bit worried that it can be very ageing and you have to rethink makeup etc. Not sure what to do to be honest.

maydonoz Fri 03-Jul-20 19:58:15

Thank you all for your replies, it looks like about similar numbers want to colour or not, so I'll see how it goes.
I'm looking forward to the freedom and hopefully the return my hair to its previous good, healthy condition.
My OH and DS1, 2 and 3 are all encouraging and say "Mum, it's much better".
I will also have more disposable income for spending on other things.

J52 Fri 03-Jul-20 20:11:29

Chewbacca you do find that colours that previously suited you might not. It depends on your skin tone, which changes with age anyway.
I now go towards cool blue, greys and greens father than hot pinks.

J52 Fri 03-Jul-20 20:11:49

*rather

Cabbie21 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:12:41

I feel I look like my mother now. She lived to 92 and I certainly don’t want to look that age. I don’t want to go back to a full head of colour, (though it was always my original colour) and I feel I should use this opportunity to embrace the grey. My daughter and my teenage grandchildren think I should have it coloured again, perhaps lighter than before so that eventually the grey will just blend in.
My appointment is the week after next.

Shirleyw Sat 04-Jul-20 03:14:55

I'm #excited that I'm having hair cut and coloured today....im not ready for the grey look yet.....least I've tried it ?

tanith Sat 04-Jul-20 07:44:51

I let my hair go natural a few years ago and it was liberating to not have the dreaded grey parting I’ve never regretted it. I really could care less if it’s ageing it’s very healthy and shiny I’m sure gives my age away so why worry about the grey.

It’s also got really long in lockdown but I rather like it not having it longer for 20 yrs I might just let it grow.

janeainsworth Sat 04-Jul-20 07:53:53

I’ve made the same decision as you, maydonoz, mainly because my hair seems to be in much better condition for not being coloured. Last time it was done was Feb 14th.
I’ve been surprised how dark my roots are so I’m going to see what it looks like when the colour is all grown out.
Frankly lockdown has made me feel very old so that’s another reason why now seems a good time to abandon the colouring.

ginny Sat 04-Jul-20 08:05:55

I’m waiting a bit longer before I visit the hairdressers. I’ve managed to keep my hair trimmed ( not perfectly) and I stopped having it coloured about 4 years ago.
Grey/silver hair in good condition and well cut looks just as good .

Sunlover Sat 04-Jul-20 08:59:45

I think it depends on your natural hair colour. If you are blonde or mousey it is easier to blend in the grey/ white roots. I am naturally very dark brown and any roots are very noticeable. I usually have low lights done every 4/5 months and touch the roots up myself in between. Looking forward to having a cut and colour soon.

Walsing Sat 04-Jul-20 09:13:03

I'm embracing it and feel liberated!! I've bought a good shampoo that enhances and conditions the grey and with a good haircut look forward to saving money too. I've been thinking of doing it for years and its taken lockdown to do it...go for it - good luck!

zsazsa Sat 04-Jul-20 09:15:27

I embraced the grey last year after a few years of blending it in with highlights, and feel liberated. I can now wear practically any colour, especially reds and greys, which - as naturally auburn-haired - always looked wrong on me. And what a relief to forget about the monthly visit to the hair salon, never mind the expense!

sue01 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:24:32

I embraced it too... now have a huge mop of spiky grey hair and love it. The hair is all sorts of different shades. Should have done it years ago !