Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Foundation ideas

(47 Posts)
coco12 Tue 08-Aug-23 09:34:41

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking for a foundation that lasts the day for work, doesn't cling in my open pores and just looks great! 😄 basically that can perform miracles! I usually use a rimmel full cover one which is ok but feel I could do better.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Aug-23 09:44:14

If you feel like splashing out have a look at Estée Lauder or Charlotte Tilbury. I have found the assistants in either Boots or John Lewis are really helpful.

Ailidh Tue 08-Aug-23 09:56:39

I was converted to Laura Geller by Grans recently.

Their foundations are wonderful. I'm currently using a tinted moisturiser on top of a spackle primer, and the effect lasts the whole day.

"Spackle" makes me laugh, though: Isn't it the American term for Polyfilla? Or perhaps I've misunderstood Frasier 🤣

coco12 Tue 08-Aug-23 14:10:49

Oh great thanks. Where can you buy Laura geller?
Yes I think I'll need to spend a bit more and have an upgrade!

Lilymae Wed 09-Aug-23 16:25:08

QVC do Laura Geller I think

Soozikinzi Wed 09-Aug-23 17:44:37

Avon power stay is good and I have very sensitive skin and eyes .

Esmay Wed 09-Aug-23 20:59:34

I'm not a big fan of Avon , but their foundation is okay if you don't want to spend a lot .

Otherwise I like Lancome a great deal .
I do think that some ladies pile on their face make up .
I recommend a good mirror.
Use clean sponges .
And give your face a nice sweep over with some powder on a big brush .
Always flick the excess off on the back of your hand before applying.
The same goes with blusher .

Try to ask someone with similar colouring to help you choose .

My daughter , very fair skinned and blond was once transferred into a hideous jaundiced girl by a well meaning assistant in Boots .

The assistant had red hair and yellow based foundation looked great on her .
My daughter needs a blue based foundation .

Joseann Wed 09-Aug-23 21:42:15

If you have open pores you need to spray your face with a cold mist before applying your foundation. It closes the pores so the make up doesn't clog.

coco12 Wed 09-Aug-23 22:51:17

Esmay

I'm not a big fan of Avon , but their foundation is okay if you don't want to spend a lot .

Otherwise I like Lancome a great deal .
I do think that some ladies pile on their face make up .
I recommend a good mirror.
Use clean sponges .
And give your face a nice sweep over with some powder on a big brush .
Always flick the excess off on the back of your hand before applying.
The same goes with blusher .

Try to ask someone with similar colouring to help you choose .

My daughter , very fair skinned and blond was once transferred into a hideous jaundiced girl by a well meaning assistant in Boots .

The assistant had red hair and yellow based foundation looked great on her .
My daughter needs a blue based foundation .

Don't think I've ever tried lancome actually.. might give them a test

Nannytopsy Wed 09-Aug-23 22:53:08

Clarins? They will help you find the right shade and weight

hollysteers Wed 09-Aug-23 22:58:20

Double wear by Estée Lauder is very long lasting, my cabin crew daughter uses it for long haul trips and I use it for the stage, but you don’t need to use very much of it as it’s quite a thick consistency.

Joseann Thu 10-Aug-23 06:36:30

hollysteers

Double wear by Estée Lauder is very long lasting, my cabin crew daughter uses it for long haul trips and I use it for the stage, but you don’t need to use very much of it as it’s quite a thick consistency.

I think applying foundation lightly is key, and powder dusting with a big brush as mentioned earlier. Occasionally people look as though their base has been supplied with a trowel, it is so heavy..
Has anyone noticed the new trend for shiny shiny faces?

loopyloo Thu 10-Aug-23 06:58:56

Shiny faces??
For once, I will be on trend!!

Cheeseplantmad Thu 10-Aug-23 07:19:28

I like Avons Power Stay cream to powder compact foundation, it goes on like foundation but has a finish of powder . Worth a try for less than £10 .

Joseann Thu 10-Aug-23 07:35:20

loopyloo

Shiny faces??
For once, I will be on trend!!

😆
Sorry, perhaps I meant dewy oily faces!!
Victoria Beckham seems to favour this at the moment.

Kate1949 Thu 10-Aug-23 09:56:31

I've used Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation for years. It covers my blemishes without being too thick. They discontinued my colour but I can stil get it on Ebay.

1summer Thu 10-Aug-23 10:01:53

I like Estée Lauder Double Wear, it definitely lasts all day. I use a clean slightly damp sponge to apply so it goes on lightly.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 10-Aug-23 10:13:57

Yes, I’ve noticed the trend for shiny faces Joseann. It seems one has to have ‘dewy’ skin. What better way to highlight any lines?
I don’t wear foundation, I find it very ageing.

1summer Thu 10-Aug-23 10:17:58

1summer

I like Estée Lauder Double Wear, it definitely lasts all day. I use a clean slightly damp sponge to apply so it goes on lightly.

Having just said I use Estée Lauder, I have googled Lancôme’s Ultra Wear foundation and that has an SPF of 35 my Estée Lauder only a 10.
When next in John Lewis or Boots might have a look at Lancôme’s

coco12 Thu 10-Aug-23 14:54:58

Sadly our John Lewis closed but our Boots should do lancome so will pay a visit there too. Might be going through a few to try as I'm mother of the bride next year so would like a nice one.

Skye17 Thu 10-Aug-23 15:03:22

I like Look Fabulous Forever.

www.lookfabulousforever.com/continuous-cover-foundation

twinnytwin Thu 10-Aug-23 15:08:17

I'm another Estee Lauder Double Wear fan. I've been using it for years. I buy it on Boots 3 for the price of 2 offers which helps with the cost. I always finish off with a Factor 50 sun lotion on top.

Norah Thu 10-Aug-23 15:30:15

Lancome.

1summer Thu 10-Aug-23 16:53:10

Just been out to lunch and my cousin just told me if you go to esteelauder.co.uk you can download a voucher for a free 4ml tester for double wear foundation ( just checked and she is right). You go into a stockists choose the colour you want to try show voucher on phone and they give you the tester.
Worth it to try if your not sure and save yourself nearly £40.

Mollygo Thu 10-Aug-23 17:03:58

Currently I’m using Kiko Insta Moisture. Recommended by DGD who does my make-up for me when we meet up. Otherwise I like Clarins. It lasts well and isn’t too thick.