Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Disappearing eyebrows

(49 Posts)
NanKate Fri 08-Sep-23 11:49:11

Until now I have managed to use a variety of techniques to make my eyebrows presentable, however one of the eyebrows has almost disappeared and it’s hard to find anything to fill the gap.

I have an underactive thyroid which causes this problem.

Any suggestions of a pencil/powder would be appreciated.

I feel too old for micro blading.

Sparklefizz Fri 08-Sep-23 11:55:26

Hi NanKate, me too. I am naturally fair so don't need anything too dark. I'm using some eye shadow at the moment in the shape of my eyebrows and hoping for the best. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

aggie Fri 08-Sep-23 11:59:57

Mine have got grey and bushy ! My hairdresser snips the longest wiry hairs , they used to be fine and I never plucked them !
Sorry , this is no help
But a friend has had hers tattooed , I’m not convinced it’s the answer !

bmacca Fri 08-Sep-23 12:09:02

I have very fine, pale eyebrows and have tried loads of different things. The best I’ve found is NYX eyebrow powder pencil. It comes in various shades, I use Blonde. It’s also really cheap, so it’s worth trying

Redhead56 Fri 08-Sep-23 12:23:19

My disappearing through stress I use Bourjois Brow pomade no 2 Chatain (colour) it’s perfect for me it’s not harsh colouring. I had tried lots but this is the best stays on well I got mine from Amazon.

Sparklefizz Fri 08-Sep-23 12:54:02

But a friend has had hers tattooed , I’m not convinced it’s the answer !

I'd be afraid to have eyebrows tattooed in case they didn't look right and then I'd be stuck with them for life!

Esmay Fri 08-Sep-23 13:39:05

Benefit is the best product that I've tried . But it's expensive and doesn't last long .

Otherwise , I use Avon eyebrow gel .
Use a pale colour or you end up looking like Coco The Clown .

PetitFromage Fri 08-Sep-23 13:42:57

You're never too old - semi permanent is the way to go! Make sure you visit somewhere reputable and you won't look back. And it isn't permanent, it wears off and has to be refreshed about once a year. Saves lots of time and cost of powders etc

rubysong Fri 08-Sep-23 13:45:57

I paid quite a bit for a pale grey eyebrow pencil but it never made a mark. I now use a fine slanted brush and grey powder eye shadow. I'm so used to no eyebrows if I put too much on I look like a clown.

kittylester Fri 08-Sep-23 13:48:58

What are eyebrows?

Foxygloves Fri 08-Sep-23 14:26:11

Eyebrows seem determined to pursue one of two extremes as we age.
Many men develop such bushy eyebrows they deserve their own Facebook page and many women (like me) are asking Kittylesters question.
Nice eyebrows do help frame a face but heaven preserve us from those (micro bladed?) heavy black slugs so many young women seem to find desirable.

Fleurpepper Fri 08-Sep-23 14:28:34

what eyebrows indeed- another one with under active thyroid here. But give me anything but those horrible dark slugs. And don't get me started on those ridiculous false eyelashes, what ?!?

Moonwatcher1904 Fri 08-Sep-23 14:36:01

Underactive thyroid and hardly any eyebrows - me too. I just live with the fact. Fleurpepper I hate to see those slugs too. I can't imagine why women think they are attractive.

Visgir1 Fri 08-Sep-23 14:36:30

Your never too old for Micro blading.
Much easier than drawing on eyebrows that float off when you get hot.
Have a chat with a recommendation Salon they will be honest with you.
I have mine done as I was blondish bit very fair eyebrows that seemed to have vanished. I'm due a top up soon, I am also on Apixaban so I asked my Doctor if okay to do, he said come off meds for 2 days prior then go back on.
That's what I'm going to do.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Sep-23 14:36:34

I use RIMMEL eyebrow ‘mascara’ in soft brown. Easy to apply. Inexpensive. Lasts all day.

Tip: apply from the inner eye side, slightly twizzle the brush there and only brush halfway along the brow. If you have no eyebrows from thereon, I’m not sure. I do have brows so I let my natural brow ‘taper off’ from there - it looks more natural and not heavy IYSWIM?

Jalyn Fri 08-Sep-23 14:42:27

Not all microbladed brows look like slugs. I have a brilliant practitioner who understands that I want my brows to frame and enhance my face in a shade and style that suits my colouring, face shape and age. As a PP said, the colour will need to be topped up from time to time. Choose your practitioner carefully, many of them have photographs on their websites. My practitioner is regularly asked to take on unhappy clients who have had their brows microbladed elsewhere but will not do so. I chose my practitioner through personal recommendations. No regrets, they are great. BTW I’m 69. So much better than filling the gaps with powders or pencils which don’t last.

Poppyred Fri 08-Sep-23 14:44:10

I’m late 60s and just had my eyebrows micro bladed. One of my daughters had hers done and looked lovely. Find a reputable salon and find the right shade for your skin/ hair colour.

I’ve had quite a few compliments since having it done, so no regrets.

LovesBach Fri 08-Sep-23 14:56:18

My well shaped eyebrows were reduced to a fine line in my twenties, and the following years were spent listening to Mother saying 'I told you so'. A few years ago, with a big family wedding looming, I took my weedy brows to a local beautician, who waxed around them - amazing how many stray hairs were there, and then dyed the sparse remainder. The dye finds the smallest hairs that you can hardly see, and the difference was remarkable. Even OH noticed. I have my brows waxed and dyed every two months, and when they start to fade I use a soft light brown pencil with a brush on the other end. I was told by a glamorous lady when I was young that eyebrows and earrings frame the face - and so they do.

shysal Fri 08-Sep-23 15:07:48

My hair is still pepper and salt, nowhere near fully grey, but eyebrows are sparse. I have tried many pencils to find the best colour and have settled on Catrice in colour number 020, 'date with ash-ton', a greyish brown, bought on Ebay. It needs a fair bit of pressure but stays all day whatever the weather, unless I scratch it of course. Grey alone will never be visible enough, and I found all other shades of brown or blonde are too bold.

NanKate Fri 08-Sep-23 15:38:54

Wow what a lot of useful info thanks girls.

The trouble with my left brow is the the gap of hair is in the middle of the eyebrow. Also I have naturally fair hair but the hairs on that left brow are black and spiky. What a mess.

I’m going to work through you suggestions. 👍🥸

Grandyma Fri 08-Sep-23 16:00:48

I over plucked in the 1960’s and have struggled with this problem ever since. I’m approaching my 70’s now and my hair is salt & pepper. I’ve discovered a product called Bring Back Brows from Look Fabulous Forever. I love it!! I think it’s about £20 but worth every penny. I use the grey and it looks very natural.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Sep-23 16:03:28

I’ve never done a thing to my eyebrows I m told they look ok 😀

NanKate Sun 10-Sep-23 11:48:11

Well I’ve had some success.

I tried to get NYX but neither Boots or Superdrug has that company in their shops.

However I bought Revolution which had a brush one end and a soft crayon the other end and with this I managed to fill in the bare patch and make a reasonable eyebrow shape. I also bought the Rimmel Brow Pro Micro which paints on a colour. The Revolution gave the best covering. Both in Soft Brown.

Bea65 Sun 10-Sep-23 11:55:28

I had a semi-permanent eyebrow and eye liner done some ten years ago and only went back once for touch up...but, when first done, my DD cried and said I looked like Mr Spock's sister - they were really dark and fierce looking...so, now I just use a brown eye shadow palette as have barely actual hairs on brow left..I would suggest firstly going down the palette route until maybe you feel more confident about something more permanent..although it can be costly!

Esmay Sun 10-Sep-23 11:59:37

Thanks , NanKate .

I went out yesterday looking odd as my eyebrows looked overdone .

I'll try the Rimmel product ,which you recommend and the Revolution one .

The only problem that I have with Revolution is trying to open their eye shadow palettes !