Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Looking for a really good foundation

(54 Posts)
MaryemBop Wed 15-Nov-23 21:43:09

Want a full coverage but not heavy or too matte foundation, used to have a great Dior one but they don't seem to make it any more. Any suggestions gratefully received smile

rubysong Wed 15-Nov-23 21:53:31

I use Avon mineral powder foundation, which is reasonably priced and easy to apply. I order it on line and the palest one suits me.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Nov-23 22:13:54

EBay sellers buy up discontinued lines. Lots of Dior here.

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2495737.m570.l1313&_nkw=discontinued+dior+foundation&_sacat=0

MaryemBop Wed 15-Nov-23 22:20:26

Wow - thanks MerylStreep - I never thought of ebay!
rubysong - this is helpful too as a lass two doors down has started doing Avon - could get it without leaving the house.

Rosalyn69 Wed 15-Nov-23 22:21:22

Estee Lauder double wear.

Georgesgran Thu 16-Nov-23 08:29:51

If you’re interested in a CC cream (maybe a bit too Matt?) Clinique comes out top.

NanKate Thu 16-Nov-23 08:39:50

Over the years I have tried many foundation creams from Dior to Rimmel and last year I eventually found the best foundation as follows. No7 Intelligent foundation. The reason it is so good is that it adapts to the colour of your skin. Do look it up on Boots website.

I bought 2 for 3 the other day. I think it costs about £16.

Poppyred Thu 16-Nov-23 08:40:17

Have just discovered Phoera after my usual foundation was discontinued. It’s very light on the skin but gives full coverage. Also very cheap on eBay.

Georgesgran Thu 16-Nov-23 08:45:41

I hadn’t heard of this Poppy so looked it up.
I’m glad you like the product, but the Trustpilot reviews are dreadful, not just if the foundation, but that many have paid and got nothing in return. The company has also been accused of posting fake (good) reviews.
Just a word of warning OP.

MaryemBop Thu 16-Nov-23 08:45:46

Thanks everybody, off to google and hava think. Great help ladies ty

Jane43 Thu 16-Nov-23 08:50:33

Rosalyn69

Estee Lauder double wear.

Beauty magazines have compared Primark’s most expensive foundation favourably to Estée Lauder’s Double Wear. It’s around £5.

Poppyred Thu 16-Nov-23 09:43:30

Georgesgran

I hadn’t heard of this Poppy so looked it up.
I’m glad you like the product, but the Trustpilot reviews are dreadful, not just if the foundation, but that many have paid and got nothing in return. The company has also been accused of posting fake (good) reviews.
Just a word of warning OP.

I ordered my first bottle through the company and it was delivered within about 3 days. Subsequent ones ordered through eBay - as much cheaper.

The foundation is really lovely - don’t believe everything you read!!

BlueSapphire Thu 16-Nov-23 09:47:36

Chanel Les Beiges is very good; light but with a good coverage.

nightowl Thu 16-Nov-23 10:04:35

There was recently a very good and informative thread on animal testing of cosmetics, which may be of interest when considering which foundation to wear. Many leading brands have a very poor record when it comes to animal cruelty.

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1328906-Were-you-aware-animal-testing-of-cosmetics-is-now-permitted-for-many-cosmetic-ingredients

MaryemBop Thu 16-Nov-23 11:36:44

BlueSapphire

Chanel Les Beiges is very good; light but with a good coverage.

Now this looks good, thank you BlueSapphire!
I've tried the Estee Lauder one and it's too heavy and cakey for me - but I know it gets great reviews.

Esmay Thu 16-Nov-23 11:55:04

It all depends on how much you want to spend .
I find Lancome , Estee Lauder and Clinique very good .

Avon used to sell Lisa Armstrong products and the foundation was superb - really light and very flattering .
I think that it's available on eBay .
Otherwise , I think that Number Seven is good .
I use Avon foundation and save my Lisa Armstrong for special occasions .

MaryemBop Thu 16-Nov-23 15:15:26

Esmay

It all depends on how much you want to spend .
I find Lancome , Estee Lauder and Clinique very good .

Avon used to sell Lisa Armstrong products and the foundation was superb - really light and very flattering .
I think that it's available on eBay .
Otherwise , I think that Number Seven is good .
I use Avon foundation and save my Lisa Armstrong for special occasions .

TY Esmay, I've been looking at Lancome.

Bella23 Thu 16-Nov-23 16:15:31

I use a Laura Mercier coloured moisturiser on top of my own moisturizer very light coverage and has a SPF. I ran out and tried a Yves St.Laurent but it was too thick and glupy.
When I could get it lovally the Chanel Les Beige was very good and light .

MaryemBop Thu 16-Nov-23 18:34:27

Thanks ladies xxx

Lostmyglassesxx Sun 19-Nov-23 11:11:37

Nars
Either their foundation
Or tinted moisture r which transforms my face

Karen310 Sun 19-Nov-23 11:29:24

Another vote for Phoera here, I have used all types of foundation, from budget to high end and am impressed by Phoera, I buy mine from Amazon, great price and good coverage.

Primrose53 Sun 19-Nov-23 11:29:29

I’ve tried lots but always go back to Avon Tinted Foundation with SPF Factor 20. I don’t like thick foundations and when some people put a lot on all you look at is how thick it is.
It is light and creamy and gives just a touch of colour.

I moisturise before I put it on and use a teeny bit of Primer.
I only wear make up if I am going out.

Vickicop Sun 19-Nov-23 11:31:22

No 7 serum foundation is the best I have found. Goes on easily over moisturiser and isn’t too matte.

KathyG54 Sun 19-Nov-23 11:47:45

I use Boots intelligent colour find it suits me the best I buy a couple (or3 ) when they have offers on .

MaryemBop Sun 19-Nov-23 11:55:31

I need full coverage but hate that heavy claggy look and feel of some. I have written down a wee list of your suggestions, tyvm ladies. Family serious illness has put it on the back burner but I will get back to this soon, fedup looking like a bag lady!!