Gransnet forums

Technology

Your favourite apps?

(52 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 11-Oct-11 17:24:17

We're putting together some advice and tips about technology and wanted to see what gransnetters thought were the best smartphone apps out there. Android, iPhone or any others you use are all fine.

Are you a games addict? Or do you have some great food apps that have changed the way you cook? Whatever you use that you think is really great, we want to hear about it.

Thanks!
<waits patiently for responses with finger hovered over app store>

yogagran Mon 25-Jun-12 23:38:06

Not yet - but I keep hoping..... Hellooo Tech, do you hear us?

supermum48 Mon 25-Jun-12 23:20:53

Does Gransnet have an Android app?

Grandmanorm Sun 24-Jun-12 15:57:27

I have weather and world clock on my iPhone as my lot are so scattered world wide I can get confused about hours in front and hours behind!!!
The National Trust has a free app.
Stupid Zombie is addictive as is Bejeweled.
Of course I have the ubiquitous Angrybirds!!
Actually I have 23 apps, some useful and others time wasting, but at my age I feel I am allowed to fritter time away playing them.
All are recommended by my children (in their forties) or my grandchildren.:-)

Ariadne Sat 23-Jun-12 18:50:30

Angry birds Space - even better than the others!
The Lady (thanks soop)

supermum48 Sat 23-Jun-12 18:08:52

I have British Red Cross First Aid. You never know when you might need it.

Ganja Thu 21-Jun-12 22:16:48

IMDb is a brilliant app for film buffs. You can check out all those elusive faces and where you saw them, and it tells you how long a film is. Always handy to know.

Elegran Sat 16-Jun-12 11:28:35

That was not me - I clicked the "convert links automatically" and it posted the message pronto.

Trying again.

community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/194000.aspx

Elegran Sat 16-Jun-12 11:26:57

Oops, forgot link. http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/194000.aspx

Elegran Sat 16-Jun-12 11:26:25

nanaanna I found this forum topic on a teachers' resource site. Do they have any ideas you can adapt to suit him? Some are rather "schoolish" which might not work if he has been put off already, but others might be useful.

Have you spoken to his teacher about this?

Elegran Sat 16-Jun-12 11:19:19

Sorry, can't help. I can visualise the kind of thing you need - sneaking up on number bonds with colours or shapes to manipulate and getting the bonds into his mind subliminally. There must be a lot of games out there somewhere.

NanaAnna Fri 15-Jun-12 22:23:30

Thanks Elegran but it's a question of motivation, tried cards but he soon caught on to the fact that they were numbers and we were trying to get him to manipulate them. He sees numbers as something frightening and feels judged and under pressure if anyone is ''playing' with / against him. But computer games are not judgemental in that way. I do have one app called 'fishes' that he plays quite happily with by himself and he is starting to gain some confidence, but would like to ring the change now and again. smile

j04 Fri 15-Jun-12 14:50:42

My DS can get a sat nav thing on his phone. (don't know what's an app or what's not) I don't think it's a good idea. I worry he might glance at the map while he's driving.

Elegran Fri 15-Jun-12 14:24:19

Not electronic, but an old-fashioned packs of playing cards can be used to play "Elevens" and you can modify that to play "Twelves" or whatever with a bit of lateral planning about those cards which do not add up conveniently to the total required.

NanaAnna Fri 15-Jun-12 14:01:01

Has anyone found a good interactive number game (not a worksheet) that I can download onto my iPad for a 5 year old boy who needs to learn basic number bonds? I think he was bitten by a number at an early age as he is clueless .....but I'd like some simple fun activity that will build his confidence sunshine

jeni Mon 07-May-12 12:56:44

My 10month old makes a beeline for my iPad. She likes sight and sound, also things like laser lights.

whenim64 Mon 07-May-12 12:29:26

Welcome Irene. Some good ideas there. My grandsons (3.1/2) love angry birds space and it keeps them occupied for quite a while if they are gettting bored. I have the night sky explained on mine and it tells me what I can see immediately above me at night, including when the space station is passing over.

Irene114 Mon 07-May-12 11:56:52

Hi I am new to Gransnet
On my Iphone I have
words with friends - a bit like scrabble
remote control for my apple TV - very useful
angry birds - addicted
battleship
solitaire
flowers and plants - useful when at garden centre

old macdonald and wheels on the bus for 2 year old grandchild
maths bingo - for grandchildren

bigsue88 Thu 19-Apr-12 09:59:39

thanks carol for the welcome I have a pc and a tablet also a blackberry phone and a htc one as well move playing around with them to see how they work

pompa Thu 19-Apr-12 09:12:29

We are heading to Italy next month for a haoliday. My Italian is very basic. Found several free translator apps that enable me to speak in English and get the Italian text and speech back. Excellent.

Carol Thu 19-Apr-12 08:52:54

Welcome BigSue. Interesting that you checked into this particular thread. If you know anything about technology and frustrations with keypads that write their own text instead of allowing their owners to have control, you will be in good company.

I've got many apps on my iPhone and hardly use any of them - still learning how to use the blessed thing!

bigsue88 Thu 19-Apr-12 08:13:17

Good morning just joined thought I had better log in and check everything out

Ariadne Fri 20-Jan-12 04:27:54

Nsube - just discovered Ted via the Jane Fonda talk on the "Third Act" and am hooked!

Nsube Thu 19-Jan-12 21:43:48

For iPad

Sound touch - brilliant for children

Chirp Europe
Guardian eyewitness
TED
Geomaster
TRVL
Starwalk
Londinium

Lots more, but those are tops

digikidnan Thu 19-Jan-12 21:13:46

'Birds of Britain' is wonderful! Even includes sound. You can also keep a log of birds spotted. I'm becoming a twitter!

Ariadne Thu 03-Nov-11 11:17:15

Google maps! We're looking at houses to buy in Devon, and (how sad / sensible is this?) when we find a likely looking one, beautifully photographed on Prime Location, I then look it up on Google Maps. Surprising to see where these places y are - you see the actual street and can move up it too.