Gransnet forums

Technology

Your favourite apps?

(51 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 11-Oct-11 17:24:17

We're putting together some advice and tips about technology and wanted to see what gransnetters thought were the best smartphone apps out there. Android, iPhone or any others you use are all fine.

Are you a games addict? Or do you have some great food apps that have changed the way you cook? Whatever you use that you think is really great, we want to hear about it.

Thanks!
<waits patiently for responses with finger hovered over app store>

Ariadne Tue 11-Oct-11 20:51:17

On my iPad:

For the grandchildren:
More Toast is great fun.
Talking Tom
Pocket pond

For me:
Angry Birds [Embarrassed]
Met Office
Tune in Radio (so when docking, you have a radio)
BBC News
A crossword app that downloads The Independent ones ever day + others of your choice
Scrabble
Ultralingua -translation machine
Kindle (YES!)
TV guide
Chamber Dictionary and thesaurus
Complete works of Shakespeare

Oh dear, that's a lot. Don't have music on iPad, but do on iPod, with audio books etc.

Annobel Tue 11-Oct-11 21:02:29

I can't rival that lot! But have recently downloaded Android app:
ConvertPad - Unit Converter, which converts currency, weights and measures, temperature and so on.

Ariadne Tue 11-Oct-11 21:09:05

My OG has that; and one that is all useless facts, and Solitaire. Plus, of course, the English Cricket board app....

Annobel Tue 11-Oct-11 21:26:51

I love useless facts! blush

GrannyTunnocks Tue 11-Oct-11 22:23:30

Kindle, Facebook, kik, yellow.com, angry birds, navigation, translate.

crimson Tue 11-Oct-11 22:28:15

I thought it said apples and was about to answer as such. I'm totally lost..what are all of the above mentioned things? Angry birds confused...

yogagran Tue 11-Oct-11 23:13:26

In daily (or very frequent) use are:
Catch Notes (for making notes and lists)
WhatsApp - for free texts Internationally
App2sd - for telling me what can be moved to save space
Maverick
3G watchdog

Games include Labyrinth, solitaire and intelligent workout
Photo apps - SketchMe, PicSay and Camera Fun

Oh there are so many and I love my Android phone grin

Annobel Tue 11-Oct-11 23:49:03

Ah, Crimson, it's a whole new vocabulary you have to learn when you acquire a smart phone! I was persuaded by DS1 who is a bit of a geek and slowly but surely am getting the hang of it.

bagitha Wed 12-Oct-11 07:45:47

Iapetus is a fun little app for watching the movement of the continents over time.

I also the OS Landranger maps on my iPad, plus

Classics
Clasiics2Go
Free books
Great books
Philosophy
pUniverse
Scrabble
Stanza
Tivial Pursuits
WeatherPro
Accuweather
Mathemagics
WorldFactBook
Chambers Dictionary and Thesaurus
Collins Dictionary

And my favourite fun thing in the dark winter nights: Planets.

MOG's the geek in the family who put them there while I raised my eyebrows, but I do use them!

susiecb Wed 12-Oct-11 09:51:54

I loiathe my Sony Experia from T Mobile and they wont upgrade for me until Dec 2012 - have explained its hopeless for anyone with arthritic fingers and they are unsympathetic not buying from them again angry

Ariadne Wed 12-Oct-11 13:17:47

Miserable lot! We won't either...

yogagran Wed 12-Oct-11 22:35:26

bagitha (love the new name btw, it sounds as though it should come from Bagpuss), I also have the OS landranger on my Android phone but find that it is really slow loading, is yours? I get frustrated with it which is why I generally use Maverick instead

bagitha Thu 13-Oct-11 05:06:38

yoga, I haven't found OS Landranger slow so far, but I usually just use itnat home for planning purposes. Once I'm on the track, I prefer a proper old-fashioned map.

yogagran Thu 13-Oct-11 23:42:41

You were up early this morning bagitha - couldn't you sleep?

Ariadne Fri 14-Oct-11 06:35:09

Not an app, exactly, but would like to say how much I love my GPS! I am seriously geographically challenged, and the GPS was made for me; am happy driving but it's so nice knowing I'm not going to get lost.

bagitha Fri 14-Oct-11 06:36:29

No, I couldn't, yoga. Chest pain (asthma) really bad. Got up and made tea and had a squint on GN. Good medicine! smile

bagitha Fri 14-Oct-11 06:37:18

Have just started using the Stumbleupon app. Liking it.

yogagran Fri 14-Oct-11 21:34:45

Hope that by now you're feeling a bit better bagitha and that your day improved

Ariadne Fri 14-Oct-11 21:52:55

Sleep well tonight, Bagitha! Knits up the ravelled sleeve of care. smile

bagitha Sat 22-Oct-11 07:45:47

Just seen the kind comments on here from last week. Thank you, yoga and ariadne! And yes, although I was tired all day that day, I did sleep well the following night smile.

geekygran Thu 27-Oct-11 20:29:07

An app to use with the grandchildren - abc PocketPhonics -for the iphone produced by www.appsinmypocket.com

''Letter sounds. Handwriting. First words. abc PocketPhonics teaches all three using the best ‘phonics’ teaching techniques''

paradisemerton Fri 28-Oct-11 04:06:11

My goodness there are some good suggestions here. my Android phone is absolutely indispensable note it is crammed with useful and mainly free apps.
favourites are
evernote for Web clipping, voice or photo notes
TV guide soo much quicker than leafing thru TV mags
printershare means I can print wirelessly from phone
08 wizard finds 01 numbers for those 08 ones... cheaper on mobile
Akinator for fun
smart taskbar for easy access to apps
cheers

ianhamilton Tue 01-Nov-11 11:30:42

Message deleted by Gransnet.

ianhamilton Tue 01-Nov-11 11:43:04

Saw the rules on promoting products after posting the above information, we're not selling anything so hopefully it's just useful information rather than plugging, but please delete the post if it's not appropriate