Gransnet forums

Technology

When does your computer become obsolete?

(79 Posts)
jack Tue 24-Apr-12 12:43:04

I have spent nearly three hours trying to get Virgin protection ( no - not that sort!) and ended up talking to a nice man in New Delhi who ordered - yes, ordered! - me to buy a new computer immediately.

My PC is only 7 years old, I yelped. He was dumbfounded. Then I realised it is actually 8 years old. And I have to admit it is very, very slow.

So how long have you managed to keep yours going, gransnetters? And what on earth am I going to buy now (presuming I can afford a new one)? shock

Callistemon21 Thu 25-Apr-24 16:38:10

Suzieque66

I've had my MacBook Air for at least 12 years and its still fine ...

It'll be on its way out now, then, like this thread
😁

Suzieque66 Thu 25-Apr-24 16:35:18

I've had my MacBook Air for at least 12 years and its still fine ...

Marydoll Thu 11-Apr-24 09:34:35

You are certainly on the ball today GNHQ.👍

Marydoll Thu 11-Apr-24 09:20:31

OurKid1

Marydoll

This thread is 12 years old!

Oops, so it is! I wonder if Jack ever got a new computer!

If he did, it will be obsolete by now!! 🤣

I wonder how these scammers manage to find these threads.

OurKid1 Thu 11-Apr-24 09:15:32

Marydoll

Oops, so it is! I wonder if Jack ever got a new computer!

OurKid1 Thu 11-Apr-24 09:12:40

Sorry "Currys" not "Cuttys"!

Marydoll Thu 11-Apr-24 09:12:29

OurKid1 Thu 11-Apr-24 09:11:27

Before you go shopping, I'd try to find a local computer technician (they advertise in local papers or FB groups usually) and ask what he thinks about your present one. He may be able to clear it up so it works better and that will buy you a bit of time before you need to dive into the world of buying a new one.

Having done that, I'd then take your time, go to a computer shop (Currys/PC world are really good) and talk to the people there about what you need. You won't have to buy one, but at least you'll have an idea of what you actually need. I did both of the above, got some advice/thoughts from Cuttys then bought one from Argos for £300. Setting it up and transferring stuff from the old one was another job for the techie bloke, who was brilliant and gave me some tips for keeping the new one speedy.

Good luck - I understand what you're going through. I'm an utter technophobe, but they're pretty much essential these days!! Oh for a return to the days of a fountain pen and some Quink!

Marydoll Thu 11-Apr-24 09:09:55

Tut Tut! 😱I have reported this very old thread.

You are naughty, coffee!

cofffee124 Thu 11-Apr-24 09:02:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

cofffee124 Thu 11-Apr-24 09:01:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Paul59 Thu 05-Oct-23 10:20:48

Hello dear Gransnetters,

I've been a proud grandad for 8 lovely years now, time flies doesn’t it? Regarding the computer question, it's a pickle, isn’t it? My old desktop lasted me a good 10 years before it gave up the ghost. I think it becomes obsolete when it can’t keep up with the updates anymore, or when it starts slowing down so much, it’s testing your patience. But I’m no expert, just sharing from experience. I recently got myself a new laptop, and oh, it’s a world of difference! What do you all think? How long do your computers last?

Warm wishes,
Paul59

Katek Fri 18-Aug-23 08:57:46

I have a 2 year old laptop but it's seldom used. I can do 99% of what I need on my iPhone.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 18-Aug-23 08:51:20

I am retired so although I bought a Mac a few years ago I found my iPad is the one I use. It is so easy, so efficient and I love it. Now thinking of getting the largest screen sizein the hope this will help my failing eyesight.

lauryfriese Fri 18-Aug-23 06:52:43

The game candy-crush.io challenges players to strategically swap adjacent candies in order to create matches and clear the board. As the levels progress, new obstacles and challenges are introduced, such as jelly-filled squares, chocolate blocks, and other special candies with unique powers.

Jackiest Fri 07-Jul-23 10:12:59

My PC is about 14 years old and. Still runs quite fast I have upgraded the hard disc to SSD and the memry to 16Gb. It does have quite heavy use and is running many things simultaneously. May have to change it soon as I don't think it will run windows 11.

J52 Fri 07-Jul-23 09:08:19

We have Apple Mac books and iPads. DH has a huge screened Apple desktop for his work. All are varying years old and never give any trouble. My MacBook Pro is 12 yrs old, but now I only do some writing on it. My IPad Pro is 6 years old having replaced the earlier one. The battery sometimes has a mind of its own, so it probably will be replaced soon, when the latest machine is in the UK.
DH replaced his IPad and MacBook a couple of years ago. We’re definitely an Apple family, they’ve been very reliable for 30 years of machines.

FlexibleFriend Fri 07-Jul-23 08:45:40

I haven't had a desktop for at least 10 years. I use laptops, currently windows 10 and usually replace them every 2-3 years.

Freya5 Fri 07-Jul-23 08:32:21

My windows 7, still works well, bit slow utility love the 19" screen, all in one. The problem, you can't get updates anymore. Drivers become obsolete, need to download photos onto external hard drive, then off to computer graveyard. Do most of my work on Samsung tablet nowadays. Not sure another computer is worth the expense.

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Jul-23 07:23:26

My mother-in-law had a new system last year. She is 99 now and after a few issues initially, she's so much happier with it. We bought a keyboard and a mouse to go with it and connected it wirelessly to the printer - this definitely helps as now she doesn't need to go to the study for day-to-day printing things off. Her old laptop was very very slow and was no longer being correctly updated.

We have had two laptops in the years that we have had our last PC. I found the PC was just too slow for Photoshop etc though I was reluctant to part with it. I think a computer is too old if you have to go away and make a pot of tea whilst it boots up!

I do use an old desktop (not connected to the Internet) to run a particular programme which connects to a specific computerised device but it's only used for that one job and does it perfectly well. Otherwise that laptop is obsolete!

Coolgran65 Fri 07-Jul-23 05:27:07

Our old tower system is still rocking on at about 8 years old. Mostly I get by using my Kindle Fire Tablet.
Our kids tell us to get lap tops, or at least replace the tower with a laptop. It's the thought of getting to grips with a new system that puts us off. I'd definitely want a mouse and a keyboard. Can't be doing with the wee slidy thing.

Here in N Ireland we use the term numpty, yes an idiot.

Marydoll Thu 06-Jul-23 19:13:09

🤣

No worse than me posting a WhatsApp message on GN! 🤭

MerylStreep Thu 06-Jul-23 19:11:28

Sorry Mary
Doing two things at once and didn’t notice I’d used quote

Marydoll Thu 06-Jul-23 19:11:27

MerylStreep

Marydoll

He has probably had at least two new PCs by now! 😉

LOOK AT THE DATE. I DOUBT IF THE OP IS WATCHING.

I did! One post and he disappears!

MerylStreep Thu 06-Jul-23 19:10:18

Marydoll

He has probably had at least two new PCs by now! 😉

LOOK AT THE DATE. I DOUBT IF THE OP IS WATCHING.