Gransnet forums

Technology

When does your computer become obsolete?

(28 Posts)
jack Tue 24-Apr-12 12:43:04

I have spent nearly three hours trying to get Virgin protection ( no - not that sort!) and ended up talking to a nice man in New Delhi who ordered - yes, ordered! - me to buy a new computer immediately.

My PC is only 7 years old, I yelped. He was dumbfounded. Then I realised it is actually 8 years old. And I have to admit it is very, very slow.

So how long have you managed to keep yours going, gransnetters? And what on earth am I going to buy now (presuming I can afford a new one)? shock

alanp Fri 27-Apr-12 19:40:09

I just bought a HP all in one pc 23" screen all I can say is fantastic only one wire to connect and thats the mains plug.

feetlebaum Sat 09-Jun-12 15:53:36

When does your computer become obsolete? Roughly about the time you first unpack it, I reckon...

My old Dell Dimension 4400 was so slick and speedy when I bought it - but that was at least eight years ago - it replaced an earlier Dell that didn't even have USB ports. I maxed out the RAM years ago at 1 Gbyte, and so I can't add more to speed things up. It runs Windows XP.

I also have a Sony Vaio laptop, with lots of bells and whistles - 500 Gbyte hard disk and 4 Gbyte RAM, running Windows 7.

I suppose I'm going to have to replace the desktop some day, but there's a lot of licensed software on it that I don't want to have to replace.