Gransnet forums

Technology

When does your computer become obsolete?

(77 Posts)
jack Tue 24-Apr-12 12:43:04

I have spent nearly three hours trying to get Virgin protection ( no - not that sort!) and ended up talking to a nice man in New Delhi who ordered - yes, ordered! - me to buy a new computer immediately.

My PC is only 7 years old, I yelped. He was dumbfounded. Then I realised it is actually 8 years old. And I have to admit it is very, very slow.

So how long have you managed to keep yours going, gransnetters? And what on earth am I going to buy now (presuming I can afford a new one)? shock

alanp Fri 27-Apr-12 19:40:09

I just bought a HP all in one pc 23" screen all I can say is fantastic only one wire to connect and thats the mains plug.

feetlebaum Sat 09-Jun-12 15:53:36

When does your computer become obsolete? Roughly about the time you first unpack it, I reckon...

My old Dell Dimension 4400 was so slick and speedy when I bought it - but that was at least eight years ago - it replaced an earlier Dell that didn't even have USB ports. I maxed out the RAM years ago at 1 Gbyte, and so I can't add more to speed things up. It runs Windows XP.

I also have a Sony Vaio laptop, with lots of bells and whistles - 500 Gbyte hard disk and 4 Gbyte RAM, running Windows 7.

I suppose I'm going to have to replace the desktop some day, but there's a lot of licensed software on it that I don't want to have to replace.

ColeGray Tue 23-Aug-22 11:05:17

I'm glad that technology is constantly evolving. And it helps to constantly improve the approach to business development. But you can't do without a business strategy presentation. Here you may need powerpoint presentation design slidepeak.com/ to make the presentation look impressive to the partners. And then the business will definitely succeed.

Zonne Tue 23-Aug-22 11:34:49

I haven’t had a desktop in at least 15 years. I’m amazed to hear they are still available. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro, with its own keyboard (never used except as a hard cover) which I mainly use as a tablet, but I connect it to a large screen, full size keyboard and wired mouse when necessary.

I pay for Microsoft 365, which gives me masses of cloud storage as I need that for photos and some large files, and includes the better Teams, which is useful for some consultancy work I do. It’s regularly updated, and I don’t have to worry about getting my own anti-virus system.

Jaxjacky Tue 23-Aug-22 11:50:02

Zonne this thread is from 2012, hence desktop.
Reported thread above yours

Zonne Tue 23-Aug-22 16:01:26

Jaxjacky

Zonne this thread is from 2012, hence desktop.
Reported thread above yours

Whoops! Thank you!

PinkCosmos Tue 23-Aug-22 16:10:26

Hattie 64 - I like my laptop, still have a bit of a problem typing on it,

You can plug a normal keyboard into a laptop. This is what I do as I find it much easier to type on. Not as portable though

PinkCosmos Tue 23-Aug-22 16:12:54

Sorry. Didn't see that this was an old thread from 2012

Emma9 Tue 06-Sep-22 12:09:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Pittcity Tue 06-Sep-22 12:22:13

I buy a cheap laptop every 3-4 years. Never pay more than £250. I don't need power or memory. Up to date and speedy is my criteria.
I can now run nearly all my programmes on an android tablet so I might not buy another windows machine when this one gives up the ghost.

Pittcity Tue 06-Sep-22 12:24:05

Oh for a delete button. I just dived in with my fourpennyworth without reading that it was a Zombie thread !!!

Esspee Tue 06-Sep-22 12:25:29

Emma9 reported

alishakihn Fri 03-Feb-23 03:13:28

It all depends on what you want to do with a computer. The ye old vibes from when I watched flappy-bird.io this when it first came out struck hard

Coolgran65 Fri 03-Feb-23 03:54:30

My desktop tower computer is about ten years old. I love it. One of our boys will always clear it of unnecessary stuff every so often so it doesn’t slow up too much. Day to day I use my tablet but revert to the desktop if I need to type anything more than a few lines because I can then touch type at speed. They laugh at our old system but we are content with it. I don’t like the finger control of a laptop. I like a mouse and keyboard. Yes I know I could get a proper keyboard and mouse for a laptop but why spend all that money.

lemsip Fri 03-Feb-23 23:48:39

op is from

crazyH Sat 04-Feb-23 00:03:47

I didn’t look at the date, but when I saw the name Phoenix , I knew it was old 🥲

biglouis Sat 04-Feb-23 00:08:29

My nephew built both of my desktops and from time to time we just upgrade some of the "bits" inside. I just got a new laptop as the old one was 3 years old and was chugging a bit. I passed it on to an aquaintance who only wants to do a bit of web brousing and email.

albertwatson248 Thu 06-Jul-23 11:50:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Marydoll Thu 06-Jul-23 13:14:58

My PC is 7 yrs old and runs like a dream. We just replace parts ourselves, which are are no longer performing well.
I am, however, planning to replace my monitor, which is 15 years old, only because I need a bigger display. It's just a matter of checking compatibility with my tower.

I dislike laptops, due to the problems with dexterity and the fact that I am so familiar with my PC, I do everything instinctively and intuitively.

NotAGran55 Thu 06-Jul-23 13:44:41

Hoping that Jack has sorted their PC 🖥️ problem by now!

Only 11 years ago….

Marydoll Thu 06-Jul-23 14:31:38

He has probably had at least two new PCs by now! 😉

karmalady Thu 06-Jul-23 14:38:18

It becomes obsolete if, when you are on the internet, it becomes vulnerable to online safety issues. It would be ok if you are still able to get regular windows updates with safety patches etc

My old samsung laptop is heavy and has windows 7 but I liked that I could sit with it on my lap and watch dvds. Updates stopped a long time ago for windows 7 and so I disconnected it from the internet to keep it and my information safe. I took off what I could and decided that the laptop was not suitable for everyday stuff, nor would it have linked to my printer. That laptop is obsolete

Marydoll Thu 06-Jul-23 14:42:44

Everyone should have up to date protection their device, I never relied on Windows Defender alone.

If you find that too pricey, there is the free version of AVG, which offers some protection.

PamelaJ1 Thu 06-Jul-23 18:14:41

My iMac is sooo slow, I’ve deleted everything I can but have started thinking about replacing it. It’s about 13.
I no longer need to do as much paperwork as I used to so feel like I don’t want to spent about £1300 for something that is not needed much.
So I have got a connection lead that I can plug into our small smart TV and my iPad. This gives me the size of screen that I want and now I think I will get a keyboard for my iPad then that will be all I need.
I know this thread is old but the same problems occur.

dotpocka Thu 06-Jul-23 18:25:14

my main one is 12 years old dell with linux mint os it updates regularly when it dies i will buy a used and install we os from
linux
about 120 per unit