Gransnet forums

Technology

Has anyone replaced their laptop/comp for an iPad, what GB is sufficient?

(13 Posts)
bikergran Fri 02-Nov-12 21:06:17

has anyone found any pros n cons....only my aged laptop is hanging by a thread... and have considered an iPad but not sure?

whenim64 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:17:18

16GB is sufficient for general stuff biker. My daughter paid an extra £100 for the 32GB and our two iPads are almost indistinguishable. On the strength of that, my son bought the 16GB a couple of weeks ago, so he can use it for business purposes when he's away from his office, and he says it does everything he wants, too.

bikergran Fri 02-Nov-12 21:30:20

thanks for that when smile

hummingbird Fri 02-Nov-12 21:36:56

I got my 16 gb iPad last Christmas, biker, and its more than adequate for my needs. I much prefer it to my laptop - and use it all the time. Can't think of a single occasion when I've wished I got the 32 gb! Get it and enjoy!

bikergran Fri 02-Nov-12 21:45:12

thanks again for info..I am some time in the future hoping to start doing photographic work..so need to weigh up prs n cons. I have plenty of time to gather info but always nice to here it first hand smile

jeni Fri 02-Nov-12 21:50:13

I have the 32 and I'm wishing I'd got the bigger. But I store an awful lot of medical textbooks on mine! I'll go back to the mega one next time!

NfkDumpling Fri 02-Nov-12 21:53:18

If you print stuff out you'll need a wifi printer to go with it.

whenim64 Fri 02-Nov-12 22:02:10

biker if you're going to do photography on it, although the 16GB is fine, the 32GB is said to have better photographic capabilities and retina display (whatever that is?). For general photos, you can't tell the difference.

petallus Sat 03-Nov-12 09:41:02

I am very pleased with my 16GB ipad and use it a lot.

Only reservation is that as I am a touch typist I can type much faster and more accurately on a conventional keyboard and find it a little frustrating to have slow down for the ipad keypad (and I make more mistakes).

I do avoid storing too many photos on the ipad as I have been told the limited space could be used up fairly quickly.

shysal Sat 03-Nov-12 09:44:51

nfk, I was going to mention the printing thing. Not all wireless printers are compatible either, which I find annoying, although there is an app to make it possible, but still not for all models, including mine.
I use a Samsung tablet most of the time, but would not ditch the laptop.

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 16:13:42

Air printers are compatible. I have a wifi printer but have an app which prints photos only from the ipad. Therefore I save documents as photos, using printscreen, then I can print them.

Humbertbear Sun 13-Jan-13 21:29:48

I would say buy the largest memory you can afford. I have photos and ebooks on my iPad as well as music and some films. I print via wifi by taking a screen shot and printing the resulting photo.

Mamie Mon 14-Jan-13 05:43:17

I think if you are going to store lots of films, music, photos etc, then the extra memory is a good idea. As we don't have the bandwidth for big downloads (the morning Guardian takes about 10 minutes), the smaller memory is fine for me.