Gransnet forums

Technology

Do threads sometimes disappear from the Forum?

(67 Posts)
isthisallthereis Fri 23-Nov-12 23:38:11

Up until a few minutes ago I was on a thread about how we deal with trolls. Now I can't find it. Does anyone know why?

Nudged by someone on that thread I've just spent ages (about an hour) filling in full details on my Profile (someone had suggested I "go blue" ie fill in my profile) I polished it up and pressed SAVE. It immediately disappeared and I still have no public profile.

On another thread I've had a message deleted. I've no idea why. I've asked why. In a PM if necessary.

What's going on? Isn't transparency part of this Forum. If Gransnet admin are taking actions that's fine. But please tell us what you're doing and why. This is just confusing, no fun, and if we've transgressed we've no idea how not to next time!

Unhappy sad

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 12:50:53

Great ideas, crimson and nanadog.

Except that the BBG were not word-we-cannot-post, they were innocently trying to cross the bridge to get to the good pasture on the other side. So Big Bold Green Shrek it will have to be.

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 12:59:14

Rather than Shreks and Billy Goats wouldn't it just be simpler to report a post as a suspected troll and let GNHQ make the judgement? Remember, you don't even have to tell anyone, apart from GNHQ, that you are reporting. This all seems quite a storm in a teacup.

Grannylin Sat 24-Nov-12 13:09:14

A while ago I reported an 'unmentionable' to HQ as I was worried he/she was targeting a new member.I was told that they were 'watching' him/her and to pm the newbie myself with a warning.I did this.The newbie vanished and the hunter of ancient things continued to post confused

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 13:13:40

The "watching" at the top has taken on a whole new meaning! [sh-sh-shiver)

jeni Sat 24-Nov-12 13:15:31

I've reported a few!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-Nov-12 14:16:36

Hi there - sorry to arrive late to this. We did post a couple of times before last night's thread was deleted; we had to delete it because it was full of troll hunting and that breaks our guidelines.

As we said in last night's thread, if you suspect someone is a troll/aren't genuine, then please do report to us and we'll take a look.

You're more than welcome to chat about trolls in general, however please don't name particular posters you suspect to be a troll. We do tend to err on the side of caution as it can be awfully upsetting if you are genuine, and have been accused.

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 17:04:49

Dear absent

thank you for your informative and interesting post. I would never have thought of that myself. I do so love it that we have older and wiser GNetters who can educate us and keep us on the straight and narrow. I think we were in danger of being flippant and lighthearted silly girls.

Yours gratefully Nanadog. grin

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 17:12:07

Nanadog What are you talking about? I think you are older than I am, although not necessarily wiser, but how can we know? Perhaps neither of us is very wise. I don't think I have ever addressed Gransnet members as girls, but if I have, I am profoundly sorry. Surely all this ridiculous brouhaha has gone on because Gransnetters didn't report a possible troll and then went into discussing the possible troll by name on a public forum. So what did I do that was so wrong that I deserved the sharp side of your tongue?

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 17:13:31

Not for the first time.

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 17:15:58

Silly me.

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 17:21:16

Indeed yes.

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 17:22:40

Yes Miss grin

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 17:41:15

Some Gransnetters did report a possible troll. Don't assume that because they did not tell you about it, they did not do it. Like a lot of things, come to think of it. Still waters run deep.

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 17:48:15

Don't be 'orrible to Kat.

Or else......... ! [grr]

Ana Sat 24-Nov-12 17:49:03

confused

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 17:50:18

Alright!!! I got it wrong. She was talking to absent. grin

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 17:56:29

You mean I am allowed to be 'orrible to absent then Jings ? I shall have to work on that .... what can I say......?

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 17:58:07

Don't let me stop you.

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 17:58:37

I mean, it's entirely between you and absent.

Fight yer own battles.

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 18:07:13

Of course you can be horrible – or lovely – to absent, whoever you are. But why would you – either way? smile

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 18:11:54

You are allowed some expectations absent. (((hug)))

smile

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 18:35:09

Having Jing's permission to do something does not mean that it is obligatory.

Unless it an invitation to cupcake and wine

MiceElf Sat 24-Nov-12 22:29:03

Two threads are missing on the religion and spirituality section. One on Roman Catholicism and one called Finding a way Forward.

Ana Sat 24-Nov-12 22:32:07

MiceElf, if you look in the main Forum section you can find threads that havve slipped off the current list. I saw The Way Forward - don't know about the other one, but it's probably there.

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 22:35:49

"Having Jing's permission to do something does not mean that it is obligatory."

confused What's that about?! confused