Gransnet forums

Technology

Leap Frog Leap Pad2

(15 Posts)
crimson Thu 29-Nov-12 18:51:46

Has anyone got one of these for the grandchildren? I keep reading about how good they are but, being a bit of a technophobe I'm not sure if I'll know what to do with it if I keep it at my house. It's supposed to be very educational. I like to give my grandson lots of different things to do when he comes here, and I know he's getting very much into gadgets. I have an old Maximus [remember those] that was my sons but it no longer works; this seems like the updated version of that.

MrsJamJam Thu 29-Nov-12 19:37:49

My DS works in IT, so knows a bit, and he is planning to buy one this Christmas for DGS (just 6). Judging by DGS's ability to do things on my laptop when he is here, with no help from me, I think grandchildren are amazingly adept at sussing out how to use gadgets without any instruction.

DS thinks they are excellent.

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:46:18

I bought a Leap Pad 1 for my grandson last year. He was then aged 6. It was and is a great hit. They are bringing out new apps all the time. Some of which go up to age 12.

this card is a bargain. You get £15 worth for £11.25

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:48:07

It does, of course, come with some apps.

You do have to know how to link it to the computer. I wouldn't know. His dad did it while they were here.

crimson Thu 29-Nov-12 20:01:16

Do you have to use it with a computer? I know one of the critiscisms is that the batteries wear out quickly.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:50:27

You really do need to get a set of rechargeable batteries.

You need a computer to load the apps (e-books, games, etc) but once they are on it the child doesn't need to go anywhere a computer.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 11:01:51

I'm going to suggest my GS gets this one with part of the apps card I am giving him this year. You can look at others in this apps centre.

janthea Fri 30-Nov-12 11:34:20

A friend of my daughter's bought one for her daughter. The child was not impressed by it and only wanted to use her mother's iPad! My daughter's friend said she wished she hadn't wasted her money.

It's probably very good if you don't already have an iPad. grin

crimson Fri 30-Nov-12 11:42:28

That's interesting, because they are getting an iPad for Christmas, although there won't be one at my house. I may give it a bit more thought. Although I don't have an iPad here for him. But perhaps keep my house as the one where he has to play with cardboard boxes and such like!

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 13:16:31

Well, I won't say that DGS doesn't enjoy his mother's i-pad when he can get his hands on it.

But that's not too often!

He likes his own thing.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 13:17:45

The children'si-pad on the Gransnet Xmas top toys lists, sound really good. Bit steep though money-wise.

Might think about that one next Xmas!

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 13:20:37

Hope the advice was a bit helpful anyway. smile

Or for any lurkers.

crimson Fri 30-Nov-12 13:48:25

Really grateful for the advice! I'll probably go to a shop and have a look at them and ask a few questions. As I say I'm such a technophobe I'd hate to buy one for him and then not be able to work it. Still haven't mastered the digital camera my son got me years ago [still use my old camera alongside it blush]. I've got an article from the Observer called 'This is childs play; the 50 best apps for kids' which might be worth a quick google; I think it's on guardian.co.uk/technology.

Ana Fri 30-Nov-12 13:53:13

The Vtech one is down to £60 on Amazon now.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 14:04:12

That's not so good Ana. (Can't remember why)