Gransnet forums

Technology

Looking for a simple video rercorder.

(12 Posts)
Kristof Mon 31-Dec-12 12:06:34

I'm looking for a video recorder that is VERY easy to use for my Mum who is in her 80's. I'm thinking of one that uses a hard disc so she doesn't have to use video tapes.

I know that there are lots on the market but you can't tell how complicated they are by reading the box, and I need something very simple.

Can anyone suggest one please.

Barrow Mon 31-Dec-12 14:40:16

If you have a John Lewis near you try them. I find their staff very knowledgeable and helpful

Kristof Mon 31-Dec-12 18:29:32

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly we don't have one anywhere near us. We do have a PC World I could try there.

Barrow Mon 31-Dec-12 21:35:21

My experience of Currys (part of the same group as PC World) has coloured my opinion of them - you could try picking their brains and then looking for the model they recommend online!!

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 21:41:33

my son suggests a Uview or a Humax. hth smile

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 21:43:48

To be honest, I don't think any of them are that easy. hmm

Stansgran Mon 31-Dec-12 21:50:03

John Lewis provided human and an installer who showed the easy way. Newcastle store

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:05:46

Yes. We had a Humax up until Xmas Day when son very kindly replaced it with a U-View. He says U-View is simpler. I have yet to be convinced. Especially as I have got to start all over again with it. Will have to sit down quietly with the manual when holiday is over. hmm

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:09:13

It's a Youview. Not Uview. Sorry.

Kristof Wed 02-Jan-13 17:03:30

Thanks for all your suggestions, I like the idea of picking brains at Currys then going elsewhere for the product, I have to admit that I do that all the time, it drives my wife mad wink

Sadly Humax and Youview need a broadband connection and Mum doesn't have that.

However, she does use Sky TV and, after a bit of research, it appears that she can upgrade to a Sky+ box that records TV for as little as £47. Hopefully as she already uses Sky, the controls will not be too hard for her to get used to.

Thanks again for your help. smile

jO5 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:54:30

Yes. We are getting a lot of buffering with this new Youview. Our old Humax didn't need broadband (and was very good) but I wonder if they have discontinued that one now they have brought the Youview out.

Hopefully your mum will be fine with the Sky box. smile

PRINTMISS Thu 03-Jan-13 09:09:33

I have decided that nothing is 'simple' or 'easy to use' these days. Might well be something to do with getting older, and finding the language a little strange. I do like to try out new things though, but fortunately money prevents us spending a lot on the sort of things the other half would love to experiment with, so we stick with the things we think we can handle, hoping we can understand the instructions, which always helps of course.