Gransnet forums

Technology

iPads

(29 Posts)
Nanado Sat 05-Jan-13 13:32:25

Just love the spoof clip below, don't worry if you don't speak German it's self-explanatory!

Dad do you like the iPad we bought you?

annodomini Sat 05-Jan-13 13:57:56

Priceless, Nanado! grin

libra10 Sat 05-Jan-13 15:06:30

I've just been given a Mini Ipad, when I intend to use as an e reader. Have previously used a kindle which I love.

I can't wait to sort out the settings and download some books.

Kristof Sat 05-Jan-13 16:37:48

Love the iPad video Nanado.

MaggieP Sat 05-Jan-13 16:46:30

Brilliant!

Stansgran Fri 18-Jan-13 14:24:10

Can any Gnetter help me? I am new to Ipad but I'm staying in a flat in Geneva next week where they use IPads etc so I think they have wifi. Do I have to have a code or anything when one changes venues? My DD and SIL will not be ther when I arrive . Should I ask them anything about access? All advice welcome as their computer is used for business and needs passwords so I have been babysitting without any TV etc-in the past.

Kali Fri 18-Jan-13 15:25:21

Unless its an Open Network you will need a code when you try to access a new wifi network. So you need to ask your DD and SiL for their code. Go to settings on your iPad follow your logic.

Stansgran Sat 19-Jan-13 16:05:43

Thanks Kali I've just done as you said. worried about you name tho'. Is it short for Kalispera or do you wear a necklace of skulls?

Kali Sat 19-Jan-13 17:14:36

It's OK stans I only bite if attacked otherwise I'm 'armless! grin

Kali Wed 23-Jan-13 10:05:56

Someone, I forget who, recommended some touch-type styluses (styli?) for iPads to avoid finger marks. Mine arrived today after about a month from Hong Kong. They are marvellous, worth the wait. Only one problem, I ordered two. I now realise they come in packs of eight. So with the additional pack they sent as 'a gesture if good willing' I now am the proud owner of 24 styluses grin

Bags Wed 23-Jan-13 10:16:41

I just keep a soft cloth (old hanky usually) handy and give the iPad screen a buffing every now and then. Works a treat.

Kali Wed 23-Jan-13 11:41:48

That was my strategy before, but I'm completely won over by these little gizmos.

Smoluski Wed 23-Jan-13 12:04:59

Bought a spray from the pound shop and a Egypt cloth thingy that brings my screen up,and my phone and my glasses....well worth the expense grin

Smoluski Wed 23-Jan-13 12:05:47

I pad finger alert that should read E cloth...

jeni Wed 23-Jan-13 12:38:05

I was wondering why you'd gone to Egypt for cloth!

Ariadne Wed 23-Jan-13 12:42:45

There are spectacle cleaning cloths all over the place here, and they are just right for iPod / iPad screens. A baby wipe now and then is helpful - I use them for the phones too. And an Egypt cloth! grin

HilaryCME Sat 26-Jan-13 15:15:20

What Apps are your favourites on iPAD?

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:57:09

I've got a funny app called 'Angry Gran Run' which my 12 year old grandson put on my iPad. Great fun!

My favourites tend to be Google, Facebook, Next, my bank, Ebay, Amazon, Pinterest, some garden centres and various newspapers.

HilaryCME Mon 28-Jan-13 15:52:05

Staw poll round friends and colleagues found London Bus Checker, TripAdvisor, pedometers .... are any others popular?

janthea Mon 28-Jan-13 16:32:18

British Gas for my meter readings, London trains to check the times for going home after work, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Weather, my bank, Summly for the news, Heathrow and British Airways when I travel, Shazam when I don't recognise a piece of music and Sky+ to check alternative showings of TV programmes. grin

janthea Mon 28-Jan-13 16:33:01

Whoops - those are the Apps on my iPhone although most of them can be used in my iPad. confused

celebgran Mon 28-Jan-13 16:52:21

whenim keep tryiNG persuade OH TO get IPAD THINK HE may enjoy using it (me too of course!) he steers well clear of computer so would be nice for him. I don`t think would be too complicated set up is it??

Stansgran Mon 28-Jan-13 17:47:38

Not at all if DSIL is a computer geek. He even hacked into my orange account to find the pass code my provider hadn't bother to tell me had changed. At the moment I haven't bought any apps not brave enough. The times app has been a godsend in Geneva where the UK papers always seem to be yesterday's and weather beaten

HilaryCME Tue 29-Jan-13 11:41:12

I use Evening Standard on iPAD, Facebook, Kindle....
has anyone successfully moved from a Blackberry - which I find brilliant for typing emails - to an iPhone and got up to typing speed quickly? I have a dilemma on this one

jeni Tue 29-Jan-13 12:10:23

Yes! I found iPhone much easier and quicker.