Gransnet forums

Technology

googleapis site slowing down computer

(10 Posts)
jerryhorn12 Sun 03-Apr-16 01:10:28

The reason behind getting slow response may be unwanted junk files. So you can install any third party software for remove junk file. You can install registry cleaner free from any trusted site or you can click on for more details here : www.swiftpcoptimizer.com/registry-cleaner.php
thanking you

Elegran Sat 02-Feb-13 11:21:47

Did everything I could think over over the last few days, to no effect. Turned it on this morning, tried the jigidi site - it is miraculously cured, so are the others which were going slow. I think it was a fault at the Googleapis end, which someone has now fixed. I hope it stays fixed.

Elegran Thu 31-Jan-13 12:51:13

The Googleapis thing is not a programme on my computer. It is somewhere on the net where people making websites can get code with ways to construct them and have them do want they want - use a specific font, say - it is shortcuts for web programmers to incorporate into the source code for a page. The snatches of code themselves are stored on the Googleapis site, not iat the actual website.

Whenever a browser tries to load a site which uses the stored code it needs, it is referred to the Googleapis site where the pieces of code are stored that do the things in the programme. The instruction says something that means "go and get this from xxxxx site"

Lots of the sites online use bits of this code, and in the source code for the page that is trying to load (see end of this post) is an instruction which tells the browser to go and look to find it. For some reason, my browser takes over 30 seconds to find that site. I have tweaked everything I can, and asked DS, who writes code professionally, but can't find out why. I am not alone. Others have moaned on technical sites about it. Trouble is, I don't understand the answers they are given. I know a little about it but not enough .

CODE - All websites are defined by a document containg the code that you can't see, but which describes how it is all to be shown on screen, and how links work and so on. To see the source code behind any webpage you are looking at, right click on the page and select "view page source" or something similar. You might need to try a different point on the page - it would not work inside the text box that I am typing this into.

j07 Thu 31-Jan-13 12:20:03

My internet was going horribly slowly, especially in the evenings. Was with Orange. Changed to these people Fantastic. So different.

annodomini Thu 31-Jan-13 12:00:47

I have MS Vista and Google Chrome and have never heard of Googleapis. Isn't there some way you can get rid of it, Elegran?

MargaretX Thu 31-Jan-13 11:10:15

I've got super fast broadband( at least I'm paying for it!) and have noticed that Firefox is slower than ever. Perhaps we should make another web site our opening page. I'll try starting with BBC, usually I don't need google search - its just habit.

Granny23 Thu 31-Jan-13 10:58:46

Can you simply go into your list of programmes and delete the offending ones? hmm Google keeps trying to take over my computer too. I am forver refusing or deleting their bits and bobs.

Elegran Thu 31-Jan-13 10:55:00

My emails are OK, but doing a nice relaxing jigsaw is getting me really frustrated. At least Gransnet does not seem to be affected. Maybe it does not use whatever thingies googleapis dispenses.

Anne58 Thu 31-Jan-13 10:50:08

I can't get connected to my emails at all today (pouty face)

Elegran Thu 31-Jan-13 10:47:41

Has anyone else's pooter started being very slow to load some sites (it is usually almost instant, but I'm now having to wait about 30 seconds while it dithers) ?

It is on Firefox, but IE also does it. The little box that tells you what it is doing right now says it is waiting for ajax.googleapis.com.... (too small a box to show the rest) or fonts.googleapis.com....etc.

I have googled what I can of that, and googleapis seems to be a place for developers to use to get bits of code to use in legitimate sites and google applications. What did show up was that several people asked about the same thing on advice sites but got no useful help.

Doing a virus check showed nothing. I've even uninstalled my virus checker and reinstalled it in case it was tripping over itself, but no help.

The sites which are very slow seem to be ones which are updated frequently - a news site, jigidi for figsaws.

I'm getting very fed up sitting waiting while it cogitates.