Gransnet forums

Technology

Which internet browser do you use and why?

(64 Posts)
kittylester Thu 11-Apr-13 06:56:20

Just that really! DH has a new laptop which came with Internet Explorer and I use either Google or AOL.

Stoneyloon Wed 12-Jun-13 18:10:13

Here are the latest Browser use sts for the official World Wide Web consortium.

www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

More than half of all users are using Google Chrome.

feetlebaum Tue 11-Jun-13 12:39:06

flowerfriend - Your son is a good judge! The process has always been - get it to work how you want it - then make it work in MSIE! (This part has often necessitated screwing up the code with nasty hacks to get round the general uselessness of MSIE)

Stoneyloon Tue 11-Jun-13 11:33:27

I've been using Google Chrome. It's fast, simple and safe. It also allows you to downlaod apps and extensions which makes it very customiseable. You also get a roaming profile so no mater which computer you log into with Chrome you get the same "browser desktop".

It also ties up very well with all the Google services giviung you in effcet the Google Chromebook experience.

I volunterr with a charity that helps older people get started on computing/ internet and we have found that Google Chrome is the best brower to introduce nebees too as its so simple.

Nelliemoser Sat 08-Jun-13 19:14:11

Feetlebaum I didn't but thank you for the information.

flowerfriend Sat 08-Jun-13 18:29:57

My son is a software developer and is very anti INTERNETEXPLORER!

I use Google Chrome.

I just do as I'm told.

feetlebaum Sat 08-Jun-13 11:29:36

Nelliemoser - Are you aware that the XP operating system will no longer be supported in under a year's time? This means no more updates, which also means security breaches won't be closed...

lamb Sat 08-Jun-13 11:10:35

I get the Flash Player page too. Would like to get rid of it.

lamb Sat 08-Jun-13 11:07:25

I have had Orange since the beginning of time, now it is EE. I have been told that BT gives a better deal. Any views.?

Luckyjfl Mon 20-May-13 18:05:02

I use Google Chrome and have Comodo Dragon as a back up Browser. I stopped using Exploror as it always seem to have problems. There does however seem to be a slight problem with Chrome at the moment.

Every now and then I get a page asking me to update Flash Player. This is Not right and it is definitely a problem of some sort with Chrome. Hope some one proves me wrong.

Nelliemoser Sun 12-May-13 23:50:10

Windows XP operating system with Firefox and Internet Explorer depending what I want to do. I have found some things I want to do don't run on Firefox.
Chrome seems to insinuate itself onto my computer without me asking for it, as do a number of other browsers. They come with other program downloads if you are not careful and take over as your default browser, which is a pain in the but. Then I waste time going into programs on control panel to delete them.

Tegan. Tell him to sort it back again for you. wink

My DS once helped me remove a virus which was about a bogus security program and literally locking up my computer.

I told him what the problem was, he Googled the solution then talked me though on the phone step by many steps on how to get rid of it completely from all the bits of computer where it was hiding.
They have their uses, these computer bods.

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 19:09:22

Now I can! Although my son did disconnect BBC from my telly in the process [temporarily thank goodness; I went into complete panic mode]. Goes away muttering 'I am not addicted; I am not....'

Ana Sun 12-May-13 18:59:06

grin

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 18:58:33

Have now got iplayer [hurrah] but still can't cut and paste sad.

Ella46 Sun 12-May-13 16:59:10

Yes, so have I, duh! blush

Ana Sun 12-May-13 16:26:02

I've just realised I have actually used BBC iplayer - just checked and I can still access it.

Ella46 Sun 12-May-13 15:50:17

I don't know, I've never tried!

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 14:52:04

Can you get iplayer?

Ella46 Sun 12-May-13 14:10:36

I'm on Mozilla Firefox, and Norton, and the last Adobe flashplayer update has failed 3 times now, and I don't know why confused

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 14:02:56

Good grief; my son's coming round to see me this afternoon and he's going to look at it [shock horror]. Am tempted to ask him who he is and have we met before when he arrives but will keep stum and find a few tasks for him to do wink.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 13:04:48

grin

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 13:01:49

Maybe if I paid my £20 they'd let me wink.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 12:56:03

Yes, I do have to pay every year - I think it was about £20 last time, so not bad really for a year's protection. I'm surprised you couldn't install the Adobe flash update, though - very odd!

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 12:40:54

Do you have to pay each year to update it? The internet connection in my village is renowned for being very slow which doesn't help.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 12:30:05

Oh dear - I thought all you had to do was uninstall it, but I've never tried! I have Norton and haven't had any problems with it, but then I don't use iplayer. I have got Adobe flash player 11 though.

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 12:23:21

Even when it expires it still seems to work [but doesn't update]. I just want to have one of the free ones but once Norton is installed it's difficult to get rid of [and slows the computer down big time as well]. It's so frustrating being a technophobe sad.