Gransnet forums

Technology

Just had a call to say there are viruses in my tablet.

(29 Posts)
HUNTERF Sat 22-Jun-13 11:16:31

Aka

I have had many calls about my laptop supposedly having viruses and I took a call at an elderly ladies house. I was helping her move some things around at the time and I answered her phone as she was not in a convenient position to do so.
The caller said her laptop was infected with viruses which was strange as she did not have a laptop.
This is the first call which I have had saying my tablet was infected with viruses.

Frank

Aka Sat 22-Jun-13 10:34:36

Has this sort of thing always dogged your steps Frank or only since you've started posting on GN?

Elegran Sat 22-Jun-13 10:04:03

They keep trying, don't they Frank ? Just keep ignoring them - or tell them that they are con men and you have recorded their call and sent it to someone who can trace it (assuming that their number is withheld, as con men usually don't let you have their genuine one).

HUNTERF Sat 22-Jun-13 09:52:37

I have just had a call saying there are viruses in my tablet.
As it happened I did have it on which is unusual as I tend to only use it in cafes or pubs.
The person wanted £50 to clear them.
The tablet I have got is only a basic 7 inch one and it is over a year old.
I do have antivirus on it and as I could get a new one for about £75 so who would spend £50 on a 12 month old tablet?.
In any case this is a con as I had only had the tablet on for about 2 minutes when the phone call came through.

Frank