Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 8 (and the wonderful Kindle!!)

(22 Posts)
Backagain Mon 05-Aug-13 16:09:11

I've been out of touch for a while as my lovely big laptop went up in smoke! Actually in smoke!
It was the usual problem (is it me?) - the charging cable started getting loose and the laptop was taking ages to charge, then it was difficult to charge, then impossible to charge...I bought a new (allegedly genuine Samsung) cable which did seem to slot into the laptop more securely - two days later I had smoke coming out of the connection. Do we have an emoticon for terrified? Why not?
So now I am "sharing" DS's laptop, which has Windows 8. I was only just getting my head around Windows 7.
Windows 8 is not just different, it is a whole new ball game. It seems really to be for touch screen equipment, which "my" laptop is not, and to say that I was flummoxed understates it. I could not even get beyond the first screen and there is no start button to get you going - impossible to find programmes, couldn't use Word or attach the printer, nuffink, zilch.
So I thought I'd have to buy yet another Dummies guide but browsing around Amazon I found this:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ8AD9E/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it went straight to my Kindle for the princely sum of £2.68 or thereabouts. There are other guides of course but I thought I'd let others know of this one because I'm finding it so useful. In fact I think I'm going to really enjoy Windows 8; once you know how to do something it is so much easier than messing around with menus.

I think.

You would think, wouldn't you, that with the price of these things they could manage to put in a leaflet or something to show you how to switch it on
confusedangry

Sel Mon 05-Aug-13 16:35:20

backagain my virus protection blocked access to your link saying it was unsafe & contained a malicious code.

Otherwise I agree with your comments re Windows8 smile

Ana Mon 05-Aug-13 17:01:20

I accessed it all right! It's only Amazon...confused

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Aug-13 17:50:45

I have bought a Windows 8 machine in the last month. The screen is nearly falling off my old one. I am now just about getting used to it. I had real problems downloading my camera software then problems with transferring my family history software. So I spent a lot of long hours on it.

Some of the keys are in different places on the keyboard which is causing a few lost sentences etc. Is though decidedly faster than my old laptop.
Just persevere. I am beginning to swear at it less and less.

Backagain Mon 05-Aug-13 17:52:01

Yes, it's only Amazon. if you don't want to risk it though, it's in their Kindle store:

Migrating to Windows 8 - For computer users without a touch screen, coming from XP, Vista or Windows 7

by a Dr Andy Williams.

Backagain Mon 05-Aug-13 17:59:21

Ah, Nelliemoser I have been having a nightmare time losing text while typing - I thought I was losing my marbles! Have they really shifted the keys around?? Whatever next! Do you know off hand which keys have moved? I have lost this text twice while typing this. Off to have a good look at this keyboard......confused

feetlebaum Mon 05-Aug-13 18:31:34

My only beef about Windows 8 is that there is no way to disable the wretched Caps Lock! MS have admitted it... for years I have had a program that did it automatically but doesn't work in W8!

I also don't have or want a touch screen - I remember the greasy fingermarks on the viewport of the old HP150, back in the 1980s...

And no, nobody has 'moved the keys around'!

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Aug-13 19:20:17

backagain I think that is an issue with the brand of my new lap top rather than windows 8. The button "home" which sends the cursor to the far left is next to "delete." So instead hitting delete I am sending the cursor to the front of the line and then deleting the lot.

Backagain Mon 05-Aug-13 21:15:01

fhhdahki
l'''''''''kdjkdsaaaaaa''#dllllksjaaaadjkoerak#falddddddddddddddddddddddcvkadoeap'fjirjmvmkkkkfvvvvvvvvvfko'aaad;flbnfjksdfgklsdjgiorutriujlgknczm,vnczvlak'hgklfhgyrioeogqerpu54=2d;fcv\.,Z;'ldf[
PEOojfoedoaaaldmroldfjsroqbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbborti4903=[gwvm';wwwwwwwwwwwwwww[[[[[rot4o3[qjgri4o3plfleproti0-wgjflksjklbnbitr8yeyhgwurt7w0bhbmn.xb,msghiuirhehrkltjjo5ut3240]gjfgjfadklndvndmv,x\c,. |ZCX?|xcvkafdouge[rgfojegopjaegn;djvckodugv98rqt19345t4pktgrejgreiot8u34[qjtg3qng'oh54iyu4T5H654;TJN54Y9U0594YJQIVM0REVMSG A,D GJ, ER965439Q VTHQ MSFKXL;FJC#s
roe

bikergran Mon 05-Aug-13 21:20:15

glad it's not just me! finding windows 8 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! used to love windows xp was sooooooooo simple..

Backagain Mon 05-Aug-13 21:20:37

Oh sorry. I've been trying to see where my cursor is going. One minute I will be going along quite steadily, then out of nowhere it just leaps another part of the text, and either keeps going from its new position, or, worse, highlights a huge chunk of text and then deletes it. Or, as above, it seems to have moved to Post Message blush
What on earth can be causing it?
I will take myself off to try and sort it out in Word blushblush

feetlebaum Thu 08-Aug-13 15:36:17

Just to add, re Windows 8: If you like Windows 7. then that's what most of Windows 8 is. It all works splendidly with a mouse - no need at all for a touch screen. If you really can't take the start screen, with its tiled interface - you can download software (free) that will hide it and give you a W7 type of interface.

Don't be fright! To quote Sirdani... www.classicshell.net

GrannyJune Tue 13-Aug-13 15:10:28

Hi
here is a link to free guides for Widows 8, Ipads etc that I use with my older learners. They are realy useful and best of all free.
I have been running classes all summer for older people who have got new gadgets from well meaning family and dont know what to do with them.
Also encountering a variation on the "hand me Down" now its "hand me Up" when tech becomes old hat to younger members of the family it gets passed up the age groups rather than down.
Here is the link
www.makeuseof.com/pages/getting-started-your-guide-to-windows-8
well worth a look.
Best wishes and good luck!

sixtynotout Tue 13-Aug-13 17:27:05

I have been using windows 8 since January. If you go to your tiles via the windows button and go into the shop you can obtain a free app learn windows 8. It is with one with a man with a stethoscope. It is really good explains all you need to know and you can learn many shortcuts. Hope this is of some help to you.

henetha Tue 13-Aug-13 18:44:07

I agree, bikergran, XP was by far the best. Wish they would bring it back.
Talking of Kindle, why are the mains plugs for them so darned expensive!

Backagain Wed 14-Aug-13 09:04:13

When my Kindle (mains plug) charger went, Amazon sent me a new one free, and also told me that my Blackberry charger was interchangeable - and it was. I've also found that one of our Samsung mobile phone chargers work too.

shelby75 Wed 14-Aug-13 09:50:10

Backagain. With regard to your cursor jumping around -
On the laptop itself, below the keyboard bit, possibly next to the touchpad, does it have a button somewhere there, slightly embedded with an icon of a hand with pointy finger on a square?

This is the button that turns on/off the touch pad, if the touch pad is 'on' then there can be a tendency when typing to rub against the touch pad, sending the cursor everywhere.

Used to drive me nuts, before someone told me!!

Elegran Wed 14-Aug-13 09:57:00

About Kindle mains plugs - I bought a thing like a flattish ordinary plug with a socket for the USP connector end that normally plugs into the pooter. It works fine with the Kindle/USP flex, and takes up very little room in a suitcase or handbag.

It cost a couple of pounds - I think from Betterwear or Kleenezee or somewhere like that. Ask around.

I shall have a little Google and see whether there are any online.

suzz Wed 14-Aug-13 10:06:00

Try this site, it gives loads of info and update things for computers etc. this link is good for adding a log off button to your browser bar.

www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/speed-up-windows-8-start-up-and-shutdown

enjoy smile

Elegran Wed 14-Aug-13 10:09:49

Can't find the old Betterwear catalogue to see whether it is in that.

I searched on Amazon. The one I bought does not seem to be there. Some of the really cheap ones on Amazon seem prone to disasters, but there is a Belkin one for £7.15 (a decent make) which has good reviews and is not too dear. It can also charge two devices at the same time. Belkin mini-adapter

henetha Wed 14-Aug-13 10:59:45

Thanks Elegran. I will start looking. It would be so handy to have a mains plug instead of having to re-charge the Kindle through my p.c.
I've got about 38 books waiting to be read on Kindle!
Thanks suzz, I will try that geeks site now....

Backagain Fri 16-Aug-13 09:12:50

Thank you so much Shelby75!!!!!
I've had a good look and even shone a torch all over the oh-so-glossy (and oh-so-mucky) surface the laptop but cannot find a button such as you describe. But I consulted the Help section for my brand of laptop (Lenovo) and found out how to switch the touchpad on and off by pressing Fn then F6. I've done that a few times and it does somehow seem to have helped. I think the touchpad is a mite too sensitive and you may well be right and I brush it with the heel of the hand while typing. Or there may be a keyboard combination shortcut I am hitting upon by mistake.
Anyway, much better now, thanks again smile