Gransnet forums

Technology

Help! Urgent!

(29 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 13-Oct-13 19:40:06

Evening all,

The phone rang a few minutes ago, I answered it, nothing, zilch, zero.

I tried doing 1471 to find out who had called, but was unable to get a dialling tone. We are now completely unable to make any calls!

Any advice would be appreciated!

whatsgoingon Wed 23-Oct-13 03:57:28

If you are with BT you can "live chat " with them on the Internet. They would then be able to test your phone line for you and find out what the problem is.

petra Thu 24-Oct-13 20:58:15

Some years ago this used to be a ploy by burglars. They would ring your No. and not replace the receiver, so that left your line useless. When they broke in you couldn't call the Police. ( this was in the days when they responded to a burglary)

Anne58 Fri 25-Oct-13 00:10:34

Hello all,

So sorry, should have updated this thread blush.

When in the village shop on the Monday after we had first had the problem on Sunday afternoon/evening I discovered that half the village seemed to have the same problem, some had even been without landline since Saturday! The suppliers were various, but I suppose that whoever you switch your phone provider to, it comes down to BT/Open Reach who manage the actual physical service and connections etc.

Aaaaanyway, we were eventually back in the land of the telephonically connected by Wednesday afternoon.

Which reminds me, I must contact my provider and ask if we are going to get some sort of discount, after all we were without a usable landline for 3 days.