Gransnet forums

Technology

Virus free Software

(7 Posts)
hebrideanlady Tue 22-Oct-13 14:56:24

I know Linux is a free operating system which is excellent, I have looked at it but sadly because of where I live, I have (to try) to sort any computing problems out myself so I took the easy option and stayed with Windows

Enviousamerican Tue 22-Oct-13 14:39:49

I was told you can't get a virus in your iPad.hmm

Tegan Tue 22-Oct-13 14:34:02

I'll mention it to my son; I'm paranoid about virus's and hacking..it puts me off buying things on the internet even though that would save me a lot of money. I don't undertstand anything about computers other than how to turn them on and off but I am grateful for any advice that I can get my son to deal with.

Charleygirl Tue 22-Oct-13 13:56:42

I have heard of Linux, end of.

annodomini Tue 22-Oct-13 12:36:50

My DS1 is a Linux fanatic but has never managed to explain it to me. At the moment I have Vista which was on this refurbished laptop when I got it 4 years ago, and contrary to almost everyone else's experience I have had no trouble with it. Now .... watch it crash. hmm

feetlebaum Tue 22-Oct-13 12:21:37

If enough people use Linux - the malware will come. Apple Mac users (wrongly) claim to be virus-proof, just because there aren't enough of them to make it worth the malefactors' time to cobble their nasties together for that operating system - which is also UNIX-based, of course.

Bazdil Tue 22-Oct-13 11:53:17

For six years I was collecting old PC's from Business skips, using cannibalized parts to get some working, then fitting a version of Linux ( Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, or Fedora) and giving the Desktops to OAP;s and People on Benefits. Of 74 customers only one asked for Windows software to be installed. I am constantly amazed at how 3rd World countries in Africa, Asia and South America can use and program Linux but people in Derby have never heard of an Operating system that has been around for 20 years. My council are making swingeing financial cutbacks that affect all of us. So I made 47 DVD's. On each was a Linux Mint OS and all issues of "Full Circle Magazine"
which provides all the tuition necessary. I sent each of my Councilors a copy of this DVD and after 2 months I have received no replies. My Central Library asked me what Linux meant? Despite having many books on the topic. This is written on Linux Mint Version 14. I Do use Windows 7 for my Flight Simulator but I need a minimum of 7 security and AV apps. Despite these My Win7 desktop has been hacked on 2 occasions this year. On my Laptop I use Linux and no AV, In 15 years of Linux use it has never been hacked.

How does this compare in your area? Do Grans know IT better than Teens?