Gransnet forums

Technology

Best pay as you go mobile phone deals

(10 Posts)
TheTechGuy Sun 01-Dec-13 15:16:04

Hi,

I've recently created a site aimed specifically at finding the best deals for the consumer and not the big companies.

I have made it completely myself and hope that you find it useful.

All you have to do is enter how many texts and minutes you use each month and it find the best 'pay as you go' deal for you.

www.PAYGdeal.co.uk

If anyone knows of any deals I haven't seen yet, please let me know and I will include them!

Thanks,
Matt.

p.s. if anyone has any technical questions in general, feel free to post them here and I will be happy to try and answer them smile

whenim64 Sun 01-Dec-13 16:15:08

Thank you, Matt your timing is impeccable. I've been scratching my head over these phone deals, as I'm due an upgrade, so will use your site right now smile

whenim64 Sun 01-Dec-13 16:21:00

Hey, that works well! I can switch from contract to PAYG Vodafone Freedom for £10 a month, instead of the £26.60 I pay now, and get as much or more than I pay for now. Just got to wait another four weeks before I switch. Brilliant!

Mishap Sun 01-Dec-13 16:50:33

We hardly use our mobile as there is no reception here - nor in a 3 mile radius. We only use it on the rare occasions when we go away on holiday or I am at the hospital for an appointment.

It is very difficult to find a suitable tariff for such low usage; and I looked on the website above and still found it hard to know what to go for.

I think it is possible that if I changed from Vodaphone to some other provider I might be able to get a shred of reception with the phone in one corner of the living room window - the children seem to get a bit of reception there sometimes. But presumably I would then need a new simcard and to be honest I have no idea how to start with that over the net.

I am very computer literate, but not phone literate!

cazthebookworm Mon 02-Dec-13 13:57:40

Matt I am on Tesco Lite which is a lower rate than their advertised one, 4p for texts I believe, not sure though if that option is still an available. I avoid using the mobile for calls as the charge rate is high.

Charleygirl Mon 02-Dec-13 14:47:39

Mishap I only use mine in the car for emergencies or if I have been hospitalised. I get an hour free per call with my landline with Plusnet so why pay more? Yes, I am Scottish!

mrsmopp Sun 22-Dec-13 23:53:39

This is interesting. At the moment I am paying for minutes I never use. I'm deaf and use my phone only for emails and texts. Contract ends soon so will check again nearer the time. Might save a few £££££

whenim64 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:12:05

Not a PAYG but I used Techguy's advice, and also checked my own usage on BillMonitor, which sends regular updates on the best deals, and makes suggestions, then I went back to Vodafone to look for the best deal and have just upgraded with a new SIM card that fits my average usage. It is £9 instead of the £26.60 a month that I was paying, and there will still be more data, texts and calls available than I have been using. Good stuff!

glammanana Wed 05-Mar-14 15:51:15

when I do love it when money can be saved like this,so many people must be spending a fortune without realising these great options are available.

yogagran Wed 05-Mar-14 16:48:34

Mishap I have a Sure Signal from Vodafone that boosts the signal. I'm in a very poor reception area and have had a Sure Signal for several years now. It gives me a full five bar signal at home. Check our the Vodafone website for information and pester them to provide one free of charge for you