Gransnet forums

Technology

Another scam !

(13 Posts)
Granny23 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:30:06

This evening I have had an e.mail from Douglass (sic) Funeral Home in Dundee saying they had been asked to inform me that my friend (no name given) had passed away on the 23rd March and I should click on the link for details of how to pay my respects. Now, I currently have no friends in Dundee though I have a few who are from Dundee but the whole tone of the message sounded American so I googled the name - nothing in Dundee, Scotland but there is a Dundee in NY. No friends near there either so obviously a scam of some kind and I didn't activate the link.

I think this must qualify as the sickest piece of scam I have seen. angry My first thought was of a friend who has been very ill and has not replied to my last e.mail. I am sure we will all have friends or relatives who would spring to mind immediately and upsettingly. Hope no other Gransnetters get this message but please don't panic if you do.

annodomini Sat 01-Mar-14 09:50:48

Actually, jingl, you are allowed to have more than one sentence per post. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 09:24:26

sorry for the surfeit of actuallys

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 09:24:01

(I haven't actually got a clue what Adobe Acrobat actually is either. hmm)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 09:23:19

I hope not NFK! I always "allow" those!

Aww sugar! shock

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Mar-14 06:47:31

Adobe Acrobat are often popping up with updates. Are some of them fake?

12Michael Sat 01-Mar-14 06:34:01

You have FAKE Microsoft plus Adobe Reader all trying to add bits see my experience.
Go into internet options security and change settings to default.
Mick

Elegran Fri 28-Feb-14 20:05:12

Or say "Oh thank you for telling me that! I must get my IT manager onto it at once. Goodbye" and put down phone

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Feb-14 19:09:27

You can have a bit of fun with this one by sounding really shocked. What, I've been infected with a virus, oh my goodness, what should I do, can you help me? They are so pleased you've fallen for it - until you tell them you don't have a computer. Small pleasures...

I keep it light though - the people doing the ringing up won't be the ones making money from the scam.

annodomini Fri 28-Feb-14 18:58:01

I've answered my son and his partner's phone to that scam on several occasions while I've been looking after their house. I always tell them that it can't be a problem with their PC because they have an Apple Mac. They haven't, but it does shut the caller up.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Feb-14 18:43:13

Thank you for putting it up. Just as well to keep it fresh in our minds.

Elegran Fri 28-Feb-14 18:41:07

They keep doing it, Tiggy as more people go online and are ready to be scared into taking them seriously. This scam has been around quite a while, but they must be making enough money out of it to be worth their while.

tiggypiro Fri 28-Feb-14 18:30:48

I have just had a phone call from someone supposedly from Windows telling me that there was a serious concern with my computer. They gave me a phone number and address to 'prove' they were not scammers. I am always very sceptical about these calls but these were very convincing and others may be taken in. My local 'techy expert' said they were certainly scammers so please be careful.
I know we keep getting these calls but this lot seemed to have upped their game somewhat and seemed more convincing - fortunately I was not taken in.