Gransnet forums

Technology

What's your favourite/most useful app?

(67 Posts)
JanePGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Apr-14 16:19:40

We all spend so much time on our tablets/smartphones etc, that we at GNHQ have decided to start rounding up our pick of the most useful/entertaining or even downright silly apps.

This will be a regular thing, and to get things started, we'd like to hear from you about which ones have benefited you in some way.

So, which apps make your life easier? Which ones make you laugh? Which ones do you find helpful? Which is your overall favourite? Serious or silly, we'd like to hear about it. Thanks all cupcake

MollyCK Fri 27-Jun-14 20:07:44

We just started using this free application called “Moment Garden” to get real time updates on our new grandson Mark. Our son and daughter in law have created a “Garden” for Mark that is completely private and only available to see by invitation. We get an email everyday with any new photo about Mark or an update about him. It is truly the highlight of my day. We can also add “moments” to Mark’s garden or send comments to him or his parents. It’s a wonderful application, especially important to me because of the privacy. In this day and age I prefer not to have my personal information all over the internet for everyone to see.

Mamie Wed 28-May-14 16:35:53

Just seen I have been named and shamed on Twitter for my Candy Crush addiction. grin Have to report I have now got to 575 and am waiting again for an update. I thought I had taken weeks over it and then realised I had polished off fifteen new levels in FOUR DAYS shock
Happily OH is just as addicted to Sudoku so he doesn't miss me...
Thanks to this thread I have started Duolingo and am getting on well with Spanish. My granddaughter thinks it is hilarious but hasn't realised that she still has to speak to me really slowly. It will be nice to be able to talk to my co-abuela next time we go. We can only smile warmly at each other at the moment....

penguinpaperback Wed 21-May-14 11:24:39

I know one day I should buy a Kindle and I will but for now the free Kindle App from Amazon.

rosequartz Wed 21-May-14 10:12:35

Do they have an app, anno?

DD2 was telling me about apps that I can download on to my new phone at 11.15 last night. However, after a lovely day and a couple of glasses of wine it was all too much for my poor addled brain. I did not dare ask her what an app was.

annodomini Wed 21-May-14 10:04:12

Think I got this thread confused with the one about button pushing. Sorry!

annodomini Wed 21-May-14 09:42:15

The company that installed my new windows and front door keep ringing me to see if I want new gutters and soffits - no matter how often I tell them my house doesn't have soffits. As soon as I hear the name of the company, I just say, 'Sorry, not interested' and put the phone down. I have long ago run out of polite responses.

Brendawymms Wed 21-May-14 08:21:44

We had a call blocker installed about a year ago and now get very very few nuisance calls. When one comes in its easy to add that number to the blocked list. Soop

mrsmopp Wed 21-May-14 07:52:58

With a Zinio app you can read magazines on your iPad. Some libraries have an arrangement to supply magazines free for library members. There is a wide choice of magazines on varying topics.

Galen Tue 20-May-14 17:24:58

I'm the same! Solar heating gas boiler maintenance cavity wall insulation free gas boiler loft insulation. All are recorded in an American accent saying they're a British based company.grrrrrrrr angry

soop Tue 20-May-14 16:53:37

I meant to add angry...

soop Tue 20-May-14 16:53:09

Are any of my pals being pestered with nonsense calls? We get at least three a day. Hence the answer machine is hardly ever off. [mad]

soop Tue 20-May-14 16:51:17

Definitely my husband. A man for all seasons and he doesn't ever let me down. Just saying. wink

Armynanny Tue 20-May-14 13:28:07

Words with Friends is a good word game - rather like Scrabble, can be played against friends/family or random opponents. Basic version is free

NanKate Thu 15-May-14 16:19:25

Thanks Yogagran.

yogagran Thu 15-May-14 12:22:58

It will only make a sound once nankate but the icon will remain on the top of the front screen until you read the text

NanKate Thu 15-May-14 08:15:38

I've just inherited my first iPhone (3rd hand) from my son Apple 3G . I am not very savvy with its technology.

Can anyone solve this problem please ?

When a text message comes in it only alerts me audibly the time it arrives. Is there any way to make it give repeat alerts - possibly with an App ?

Over to the techy GNs.

Lona Sun 11-May-14 10:30:24

Grannyfran I've just got Doodoo, my dgd will like it. Thanks smile

mrsmopp Sat 10-May-14 21:25:44

I've enjoyed doing Codewords in the paper for years, but as an app it's so much more fun. Easier to correct a mistake, and there is an unlimited supply on the app. Keeps me occupied anyway.

Grannyfran Fri 09-May-14 16:33:30

I've sworn off escape games - the ones where you have to solve puzzles to get out of a locked room - but if anyone else wants to try a good one, they could try Diamond Penthouse Escape. It's free, but it will gobble your time! My Chinese students told me about Doodoo, a lovely drawing and animation app, which little children love too.

ameliaanne Mon 05-May-14 10:44:37

I love online jigsaws on my tablet! I have used a few apps but the best one I have found is Jigsaw Puzzle Plus which has hundreds of jigsaws for downloading, the majority of which are free! You can then do the jigsaws without wifi. I found it in the app store. Beware, very addictive.

Grannyknot Sun 04-May-14 14:55:48

I've been having loads of fun today with an app called Mini Piano. I just tap the screen and lo and behold I can play a tune in perfect Dolby sound. It's DIY or you select songs from a menu. Magical!

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 21:12:25

I am so impressed. Must start investigating apps.

Icyalittle Fri 02-May-14 22:55:47

Lots of new ones to try here - thank you. The ones I really find useful are My Recipe Book (hardly use a real recipe book now, so easy to add recipes and create shopping lists), TouchNote for postcards, BBC News, Duolingo, ColorSplash and iPhoto for photo editing, UK Maps because you can download very detailed Ordnance Survey maps to overlay onto a normal road map for driving / walking, Poems by Heart - you can add your choices. I love Ski Tracks because I can monitor how far, how fast, how many lifts etc per day and then see them plotted on a satellite view, and Snow Forecast. ViaMichelin for travelling in France.
Migraine Diary is useful for me. So is British Red Cross First Aid. BT Wifi for getting online when I'm out.
Sorry there are so many but I use them all, all the time!

Mamie Fri 02-May-14 12:49:57

Anno, it probably says more about the attractions available in deepest Normandy in winter!

scarfaceace Fri 02-May-14 11:38:08

I find Weather Wear really useful because it shows what to wear for the day and if you need to bring a brolly or sun-cream. It also has the weather forecast for the next week.

I love my book reader too (Ibooks and Kindle) and read a book while I'm waiting for appointments or on the bus.

And for fun, try Tickle Time - this makes everyone, young and old, smile. You just can't help yourself. grin

And, of course, the BBC News is essential for keeping up with what's going on in the world.