Gransnet forums

Technology

Another Scam !!

(34 Posts)
tiggypiro Wed 21-May-14 22:11:20

I have just had an email suposedly from BT and titled ''Service Cancellation Notice' and telling me that they had been unable to take my recent payment due to either incorrect personal or payment information.
A load of tosh as I know it has been paid. It didn't have the BT logo on but the title made me look twice and I could easily have been taken in.

Please be on your guard - again !!

NfkDumpling Tue 10-Jun-14 08:44:55

I've just had an email from McAfee saying that I use online back up version one and this will expire on 26 July and that I have to install version 2 manually. It looks kosher but with so many scams I'm doubtful. Usually McAfee does everything automatically.

tiggypiro Tue 10-Jun-14 17:51:26

I've just had an email which claims to be from NatWest but it was 'Dear Valued Customer'. Other than that it could easily be assumed to be from the bank. Did not open it and sent it to the real NatWest.
I find it very annoying to be constantly suspicious of everything.

Elegran Tue 10-Jun-14 22:37:36

When they don't address you by name, it is obviously a bulk mailshot, and not a genuine letter from the bank.

Elegran Sun 22-Jun-14 22:16:41

Blind 'em with jargon! I have found this web page, which has a transcription of someone's phone call from an Indian self-styled "Microsoft" technician. lawsie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/transcript-of-my-call-with-indian.html and his answers.

I think everything he says (the blogger, not the caller) is genuine stuff about exactly WHY it is impossible that the caller can know that "Your computer has a problem". Even if you don't understand a word of it, memorising some chunks and spouting them back into the receiver could be fun.

Or you could just put the phone down.

Ana Sun 22-Jun-14 22:18:27

Or tell them you don't own a computer. They're probably not going to call you a liar...

Ariadne Mon 23-Jun-14 11:05:16

I had an e mail (in my junk folder) yesterday from an FBI agent, threatening prosecution if I did not release immediate information about some vast quantity of money lying around somewhere...

Charleygirl Mon 23-Jun-14 11:20:23

Ariadne that is a new one.

Ana I agree, a computer is too complex for me so I never bothered to learn. That gets rid of them when ringing.

sunseeker Mon 23-Jun-14 17:09:32

A friend has told me of a way of dealing with these callers which she says works:

When they say they are from Microsoft or whoever, ignore what they say and ask for their password, whatever they reply ask again more insistently for their password, as they try to carry on with their spiel press any two buttons and say "we have a code yellow on line 4 initiating trace" then press 6 and 7 alternatively (not too fast) as this makes a sound (almost) like an alarm.

At this point the usually hang up!

I love messing with these people!! [evil emoticon]