Gransnet forums

Technology

Which camera - advice sought please.

(9 Posts)
Portuna421 Mon 08-Sep-14 23:35:55

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40,wanted an easy to use camera and bought it on the recommendation of a friend.The instruction booklet is easy to follow,very pleased with results.

feetlebaum Mon 08-Sep-14 21:34:40

I have a Panasonic TZ20 which has served me well - I bought it as an end-of-line which meant it was cheap, as the TZ30 was coming in.

Don't be fooled by huge numbers of pixels quoted in ads - 5 Mpx is enough for any normal photographic use.

vegasmags Mon 08-Sep-14 21:10:34

Another Lumix fan, I see.

durhamjen Mon 08-Sep-14 20:02:41

I have a Lumix FZ7. It's not quite a point and shoot. It has its own bag to take it out. For everyday, to put in my handbag, I use an Olympus VR-310.
The Lumix has a viewfinder which is useful when it's too sunny to see the 2.5" screen. It also has a pop-up flash. I let my grandson use it for closeups of flowers and butterflies. The Olympus is good enough for the photos of trains he's always taking.
Thanks for this. I've just checked and the battery needs recharging.

vegasmags Mon 08-Sep-14 18:54:46

Thank you all for your recommendations - looks like the Lumix is out in front. Tresco that's a very good tip about an earlier model. I'll keep you all posted grin

shysal Mon 08-Sep-14 18:41:27

I would never buy a camera without zoom. I too have a Panasonic Lumix, DMC-TZ30, which goes up to x20. It is really simple to use, except when GD has had a fiddle and changed all the settings! Amazon has old and new models, and there are bargains to be found with the slightly older versons, which are just as good, as Tresco says.
Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for. smileplease.

NfkDumpling Mon 08-Sep-14 17:41:59

I've got a Lumix as well. Love it. It's a DMC-TZ55. You should be able to get one for under £200. I had a look at the new one which also has a viewfinder and an incredible zoom but it costs around £325.

Tresco Mon 08-Sep-14 17:26:34

Do you just want a basic point and shoot? I had very good results with a Panasonic Lumix TZ camera - mine was a TZ3 but they are up to TZ60 now. There's no need to get the latest model, the earlier ones are fine.

vegasmags Mon 08-Sep-14 11:01:35

My camera must now be 8 years old and I want to replace it. I can't justify the expense of a smart phone, but have noticed that photos taken on other people's phones are much better than the best I can do with my old camera. Can anyone suggest a simple camera that takes photos that are comparable in quality with smartphone photos? I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to spend up to £200. I've tried looking at online reviews but find them so dauntingly technical that I thought Gransnet was the place to ask!