Gransnet forums

Technology

Predictive text

(12 Posts)
alternativegran Thu 16-Oct-14 18:03:25

There is a discussion on the chat thread about embarrassing emails sent out because there was a problem with the computers spell check. My problem is predictive text on my iPad, is there any way to turn it off? I get so fed up with having to continually check what I have written.

rubysong Thu 16-Oct-14 18:18:51

I think it was Naomi Campbell whose congratulations on Malala's Nobel prize came out as 'Malaria'. Oops!!

tanith Thu 16-Oct-14 18:54:12

alternativegran I think this might work..

Go to Settings - General - Keyboard - select 'Auto Correction' and turn it off.. it should turn off the predictive text

elen1 Thu 16-Oct-14 19:07:12

I had a pearled sent out!!

We married 5 years ago and we were looking for a DJ, I found one and text him, we all know that there are 3 letters on a button and the o and the n are on the same one ?
Boy, was I embarresed when the text flew asking
"Hi, can you give me a price as I would like to BONK you !!!!!"
He didn't reply sad

ninathenana Thu 16-Oct-14 22:03:57

I wonder why elen grin grin

alternativegran Thu 16-Oct-14 23:03:48

Thank you so much tanith, I found something that said predictive after following your instructions, it seemed to be working until it wanted to call you 'tan itch' Tomorrow I will try 'Auto Correction, too late to play around tonight.

Grannyknot Fri 17-Oct-14 07:32:38

elen that's hilarious. I sent someone an email to apologise for an earlier email and my explanation was that I was "a hairbrush", also thanks to predictive text. (...in a rush...) I gave up after that and now hide when I see them grin

Mamie Fri 17-Oct-14 11:30:32

I saw one the other day where someone wrote about a recipe for "celeriac dolphin pose". It took us a while to work out that it should have been dauphinoise.

janerowena Fri 17-Oct-14 11:50:04

I've just made a dreadful boob on facebook, a friend was complaining that her very expensive new wellies only had a one year guarantee and felt like taking them back. As the americans do not have wellies, I wrote

' I've had willies in the past that I WISHED would die, I've got so bored with them!'

Followed by

'Blarsted PT/autocorrect, I meant wellies! Although it could equally be applied...'

blush

annodomini Fri 17-Oct-14 12:59:47

At least you can edit your posts on FB, jane. No such desirable facility here!

annodomini Fri 17-Oct-14 13:02:22

I think the predictive text on Android phones and tablets must be more efficient because I don't have the same problems.

HollyDaze Fri 17-Oct-14 14:30:57

I don't use predictive text (I have always turned it off) so any mistakes are my own. I dislike predictive text and I wish those that use it would check spellings before they hit send - some messages I get are mind-boggling. I kept getting texts from daughter where 'frank' was mentioned a lot. Finally, I asked her who Frank was, she laughed and said it was probably just the PT getting it wrong.