Gransnet forums

Technology

Oh no! I`ve been phished.Now What?

(6 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 17-Oct-14 10:45:53

I received an extremely official email from BT saying that they are increasing their charges in December and outlined various new packages of calls. They also offered a call monitoring service to check I was on the most appropriate package for our actual use. Muggins thought it looked OK and sounded useful so clicked to take up the offer. I`ve now received some dodgy looking emails saying my account access has been limited (it hasn't though). So, bottom line I`ve responded to a phishing email and don't know what to do. Don't know what "they" can now do. Impossible to actually speak to a person at BT although have contacted them via email to complaints dept- the only way to do it. I just don't know what the risks are or what to do. Any ideas?

annodomini Fri 17-Oct-14 11:04:22

As long as you haven't given them bank account details you shouldn't be disadvantaged. You can report this as spam to your email provider and also to BT.

tanith Fri 17-Oct-14 11:09:07

Jane10

Take a look at this link it has lots of info from BT on what to look out for and do should it happen..

home.bt.com/news/bt-life/be-aware-of-phishing-emails-11363931725372?s_intcid=con_helpticker_emailscams

Jane10 Sat 18-Oct-14 09:32:52

Thanks all. I did as you suggested and forwarded the suspicious emails to their "abuse" email address. Imagine my surprise when I was phoned at 4pm yesterday by a lovely Irish lady from BT who talked it all through. Apparently the link I clicked on was genuine but the 2 follow up emails were dodgy. BT are on the case and my security seems to be OK.
Panic over. This time! Thanks again

tanith Sat 18-Oct-14 14:06:35

Glad that all was well .

Anya Sat 18-Oct-14 14:35:40

Well good to know someone had a response to BT. I get dodgy emails every day saying I need to log on to my account citing various problems. I sent these to BT who have never yet acknowledged them.
I have two email addresses so I simply email myself from my other account and sure enough - no problem. Had I followed the link I would have revealed my password.